Things you'd rather ban than radios/powermeters

Comments

• ddraver wrote:
    Bashing your female anatomy on a horizontal top tube is not to be recommended....

But isn't the same thing to be said of men? Or is it that women are assumed to/do have shorter legs and so the likelihood of bashing your sensitive parts is greater?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ddraver wrote:
    Bashing your female anatomy on a horizontal top tube is not to be recommended....

But isn't the same thing to be said of men? Or is it that women are assumed to/do have shorter legs and so the likelihood of bashing your sensitive parts is greater?

Without wanting to get too intimate with the anatomy - the way the testicles hang, so to speak, means that you'd have to hit the top tube at quite a strange angle to 'crush' a testicle.

More likely they'll lift or even be out of the way (especially given how tight shorts are and how generous padding of cycling shorts), and instead you'll hit your perenium, which, though extremely painful, not like hitting your balls.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Lots to be learnt on this forum. I always thought the sloping top tubes on lady bikes were designed to make use with a skirt more easy. I have no idea why proper road bikes have sloping top tubes.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Lots to be learnt on this forum. I always thought the sloping top tubes on lady bikes were designed to make use with a skirt more easy. I have no idea why proper road bikes have sloping top tubes.

Fewer frame sizes needed to fit the general population.

Lighter frame.
  • rick_chasey
    You lot are all about the banning.

Might start a 'what would you introduce' thread instead.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:

I think there's a reflex built into men that causes us boys to twist so perenial impacts are at least softened...

i ve been MTBing with a few girls that have bashed themselves there and its very clear that it is not a laughing matter!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited January 2015
    TheBigBean wrote:

Fewer frame sizes needed to fit the general population.

Lighter frame.

It's an MTB thing that allows for a more compact and therefore fun geometry (I don't recall how). Essentially it allows you to keep enough stand over height whilst also having the bars higher. Bikes with horizontal top tubes tend to be long and low to fit all the wheels and shizzle in...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

Without wanting to get too intimate with the anatomy - the way the testicles hang, so to speak, means that you'd have to hit the top tube at quite a strange angle to 'crush' a testicle.

More likely they'll lift or even be out of the way (especially given how tight shorts are and how generous padding of cycling shorts), and instead you'll hit your perenium, which, though extremely painful, not like hitting your balls.

Ah yes. Of course, the balls in shorts variable I had not accounted for.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Massive generalisation but the thinking from the industry is that women have shorter torsos and longer legs. Therefore the more compact frame that a sloping top tube provides makes them a better fit...
  • dish_dash
    BTW I'm amazed that no one has wanted to ban Phil and Paul yet...
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:

I imagine the chuckle brothers' reference is that....
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:

No less recommended than doing same with male bits. i can still remember the feeling of standing by the road waiting to puke when I did that as if it was yesterday. I was 12.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    dish_dash wrote:

Correct.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • ddraver
    The_Boy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

No less recommended than doing same with male bits. i can still remember the feeling of standing by the road waiting to puke when I did that as if it was yesterday. I was 12.

yeah, see you can't tuck 'em out the way when your 12...
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

yeah, see you can't tuck 'em out the way when your 12...

Plus I wasn't wearing padded shorts. Nor was I expecting to slide off my saddle so didn't have time to take evasive action.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • dish_dash
    chrisday wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Correct.

Fair enough. I'd missed that one... second the ban recommendation!
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Working over Christmas.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Manc33 wrote:
    Working over Christmas.

hmm - I'm guessing you haven't fully grasped the thread topic...
  • 1. Black Socks

2. Shimano

3. Contadors' extremely naff "Pistolero" celebration
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    White socks.
  • Socks

*Those triathletes have it right.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094

No one is stopping you.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey

No one is stopping you.

Boo hoo. Sense the tone.
  • pinno

No one is stopping you.

Boo hoo. Sense the tone.

Aside from the Tour Down Under which is pants due to the time difference, you may have to put up with the silly season topics until March 8th.
  • pinno
    The tour down under.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Aside from the Tour Down Under which is pants due to the time difference, you may have to put up with the silly season topics until March 8th.
    Season start as usual
    19 Feb Europe Tour Trofeo Laigueglia 1.HC ITA

28 Feb Europe Tour Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.HC BEL
    next day - Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey

No one is stopping you.

Boo hoo. Sense the tone.

How about you get the joke - y'know - all moderators do is lock threads and ban stuff.

:roll:

So the joke is, me, as the moderator, is complaining that everyone is being negative and talking about banning everything. That's ironic. I'll be honest - they're less funny when you have to explain them.
  • pinno

No one is stopping you.

Boo hoo. Sense the tone.

How about you get the joke - y'know - all moderators do is lock threads and ban stuff.

:roll:

So the joke is, me, as the moderator, is complaining that everyone is being negative and talking about banning everything. That's ironic. I'll be honest - they're less funny when you have to explain them.

Okay, I geddit. Maybe you're stereotyping yourself too much. :wink:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'd also like to ban petty arguments on this forum...

:lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    And four-arm chainsets
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.