Superstar Components carbon wheels?

Comments

• naylor343
    naylor343 Posts: 61
    Just read through this thread. I noticed that a couple of people had just purchased but not yet used these wheels, or were just about to buy. I am interested in a pair now they do 11 speed. So is there any more feedback from actual owners/ users. Thanks.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    naylor343 wrote:
    Just read through this thread. I noticed that a couple of people had just purchased but not yet used these wheels, or were just about to buy. I am interested in a pair now they do 11 speed. So is there any more feedback from actual owners/ users. Thanks.

Aren't those 599 though?

For 600 quid you can do better than buying a pair of bent wheels to be honest... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    I picked up a pair of 10sp cabon 32s just before the discount grrr

Wanted to love these and was pleasantly surprised to see they weighed in at 1390g inc rim tape.

Shockingly poor build though, couldn't figure out on the first ride why they felt super slow and my brakes seemed to be constantly rubbing, stop, readjust and have to do so again just up the road. Soon realized there was so much flex in the front that a hard seated push on the pedals was enough to flex the front wheel and push the caliper out of alignment, the pads weren't set close.

That was the good wheel!! The rear, utterly appalling, out of true slightly but not horrendous and just getting on the bike flexed the wheel enough to push the caliper out. So much for the claims of 'no Friday wheels' and perfect truing.

They went back at my expense (refunded later) and inconvenience but were turned around very quickly, the front came back spot on, tracks nicely and feels good on the road. The rear still felt a bit spongy and a mate following behind on the first ride pointed out that the dishing appeared out. Checking at home and it looked a good 5mm to the left of centre...

Back they went again Monday morn, short apology and we'll get them sorted straight away and returned. I had to chase on the Thursday before Easter, despite simply checking the dishing and claiming them a ok they couldn't put them back in the post in time for Easter. They'd turned them around within that time the previous week.

Was pretty surprised to hear that they felt the wheel was good so popped it round to a friend and it looked off in his Planet x frame also, later while getting ready to measure the distance between the hub and end of freehub I found the bearing adjustment on the freehub side wasn't even finger tight, I was able to unwind it with my fingers. Tightened that up and presto although the asymmetric stays make the the wheel appear slightly off centre in my frame the tyre now sits nicely in the pocket behind the BB. Won't get a chance to ride it until the weekend.

So there you have it, 3 wasted weeks, two trips to the post office (one refunded, one not thus far), had to buy new bearings and spend a couple of hours fitting them to the old wheels so I could ride and pretty ticked off with SS.

That's my experience, wouldn't recommend it but if you do try them I hope you do better.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited April 2015
    Been trying out my 46mm versions over the past week and they seem fine, but nothing great. Braking with the supplied Reynolds Cryo Blue pads is good in the dry. Much better than on my old Chinese carbons with Swisstop Yellows with more power and better modulation. They don't handle great in crosswinds as you'd expect, but they are quick to spin up.

Build-wise, mine seem pretty good. But then, I had mine re-tensioned before I rode them. The guy that did the job said that the front tensions were all over the place and generally very low.

Mine cost me £380, as I got them on discount. Happy with them overall.
  • naylor343
    Thanks for the feedback, I will be giving them a miss. My race wheels are dura ace on sl23's that are superb, but am after some aero wheels for TT's and RR's on smoother courses. What is the current go to wide rim 38-50mm wheel for this price bracket?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ... perfect, we are just waiting for the next reincarnation of Paxington to start all over again... :wink:
  • DKay
    ... perfect, we are just waiting for the next reincarnation of Paxington to start all over again... :wink:

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
  • naylor343
    DKay wrote:

Oh I am sorry gentlemen, private joke? I was only asking a question to Ugo who posted a reply to my question.
  • ugo.santalucia
    naylor343 wrote:
    DKay wrote:

Oh I am sorry gentlemen, private joke? I was only asking a question to Ugo who posted a reply to my question.

We have a recurrent troll, that comes under many different names who likes to stir things up on Superstar wheels threads... should be here any minute... :wink:
  • naylor343
    naylor343 wrote:
    DKay wrote:

We have a recurrent troll, that comes under many different names who likes to stir things up on Superstar wheels threads... should be here any minute... :wink:

Understood. I will keep well out of that one.

I was only really interested as they are based 30 mins from me, so I thought may be a good option for any maintenance issues, but not really interested if I already suspect that these wheels may have issues before I have even purchased them.

Ugo, do you have any recommendations based on a similar spec. Needs to be something that could be repaired without remortgage as they will be raced. Thanks in advance.
  • ugo.santalucia
    naylor343 wrote:
    Ugo, do you have any recommendations based on a similar spec. Needs to be something that could be repaired without remortgage as they will be raced. Thanks in advance.

Wheelsmith?
    Othrwise if you don't mind dealing with China, Farsports and similar are very decent wheels for crit racing use.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    naylor343 wrote:

Wheelsmith?
    Othrwise if you don't mind dealing with China, Farsports and similar are very decent wheels for crit racing use.

Are the DCR rims any good?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • ugo.santalucia
    brettjmcc wrote:
    naylor343 wrote:

Wheelsmith?

Are the DCR rims any good?

Ask DCR, I've got no idea.
  • naylor343 wrote:
    naylor343 wrote:
    DKay wrote:

I was only really interested as they are based 30 mins from me, so I thought may be a good option for any maintenance issues, but not really interested if I already suspect that these wheels may have issues before I have even purchased them.

Hello is Superstarcomponents here. Your more than welcome to drop to lincoln and and ill personally show you how we build our wheels and the quality you get. That would be better than believing what a few people on here keep saying on every post when some have never actually owned any of our wheels before...

any questions on any of our products just drop me a line, Superstar
  • OK so you are deleting your trolling posts and deleting my comments as well then? Care to fill me in on if this is Immediate Medias chosen method of communication or you have just gone a bit more rogue than usual?

Regards, Superstar
  • Goggs-san
    Goggs-san Posts: 36
    Where did the jesus quote go ?.
  • naylor343
    naylor343 wrote:
    naylor343 wrote:
    DKay wrote:

Hello is Superstarcomponents here. Your more than welcome to drop to lincoln and and ill personally show you how we build our wheels and the quality you get. That would be better than believing what a few people on here keep saying on every post when some have never actually owned any of our wheels before...

Superstar Components - thank you for your offer. Only an ignorant fool would not let a man demonstrate that their doubters are wrong, I would be happy to see your facility. I will of course call before hand to arrange a good time. Thanks . Also you should know that I have received private messages from some of your happy customers singing your praises. Forum members who obviously wanted to avoid the strange goings on here.

Ugo - sorry, but that Jesus stunt was just beyond weird!
  • naylor343 wrote:
    naylor343 wrote:
    naylor343 wrote:
    DKay wrote:

Superstar Components - thank you for your offer. Only an ignorant fool would not let a man demonstrate that their doubters are wrong, I would be happy to see your facility. I will of course call before hand to arrange a good time. Thanks . Also you should know that I have received private messages from some of your happy customers singing your praises. Forum members who obviously wanted to avoid the strange goings on here.

Ugo - sorry, but that Jesus stunt was just beyond weird!

We are open 9-5 monday to friday, but mondays are usually pretty manic! having said that the april 20% off wheels offer has blown our minds and we are running out of alot of key lines of hubs pretty fast, so the wheelbuilders have got plenty to keep them busy.

Just drop by and say hello, or drop me a PM first.

Regards, Superstar
  • DKay
    naylor343 wrote:
    Also you should know that I have received private messages from some of your happy customers singing your praises. Forum members who obviously wanted to avoid the strange goings on here.

Where they called paxington or have a reletively recent forum joining date and/or low post count? :lol:

Look forward to hearing about your factory tour. I'd take up the offer myself, but it's way too far.
  • naylor343
    DKay wrote:
    naylor343 wrote:
    Also you should know that I have received private messages from some of your happy customers singing your praises. Forum members who obviously wanted to avoid the strange goings on here.

Where they called paxington or have a reletively recent forum joining date and/or low post count? :lol:

Look forward to hearing about your factory tour. I'd take up the offer myself, but it's way too far.

No, not Paxington, sorry to disappoint.
  • One day ill get a nice video done so you can see what we do and how we do it in both the machine shop and the wheel build buildings. Unfortunately we are so busy making stuff it keeps getting put on the back burner. I read what some people "presume" and find it funny as they obviously don't have a clue what we actually do in the slightest.

Any questions let me know, Superstar
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Ah, a set-up! looked like and so it turned out to be. Care to share these other 'happy customers', oh forgot, they want to remain anonymous from these evil BR forum members :twisted:

The return of Lazarus or Mr 'Superstar', you really should stay away from cycling forums. As your track record proves you don't come across well on them, and from being found out for using multiple identities on another popular one I'd really think twice before returning to have a go at someone else's character, it's incredible really.

Having already lost a lot of credibility you may once have had as a company, it will continue to worsen when trying to shoot respected BR minions down.
  • Unfortunately I think you also don't really know anything about Superstar or our products. My current gripe is that "someone" has been deleting and editing my posts to distort what people read/think.

Just because someone has claimed it online doesn't mean its actually true. Ill leave the honest people on here to work out what is true and false

• ugo.santalucia
    My current gripe is that "someone" has been deleting and editing my posts to distort what people read/think.

I only deleted my comment, because it was supposed to be funny and you didn't appreciate the tongue in check in it, much to my disappointment and obviously I deleted your reply, which in the absence of my comment would sound like a hollow statement.

As you can see, I am no longer the man in green, as your repeated complaints with the publisher, followed by pointless discussions and explanations, sorted the desired effect... you are on your own now... :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Unfortunately I think you also don't really know anything about Superstar or our products. My current gripe is that "someone" has been deleting and editing my posts to distort what people read/think.

Just because someone has claimed it online doesn't mean its actually true. Ill leave the honest people on here to work out what is true and false

I would be careful in what you say as you have only ever had 2 posts deleted and none edited.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Not strictly true as the quotes i had used dissapeared which then changes the context of my comments. Im just disappointed that Ive been called out as a liar and selling poor quality goods over and over again by a moderator with basically just rumor to back up the claims. The person making these changes is also the person who is making up alot of the rubbish about Superstar.

As you can see these rumors have now been propergated as the "truth" by people who don't know the full story as its been edited.

Anyway ive got better things to do than argue with people who base their opinions on things they "heard" on the interweb of misinformation or just plain made up.

Regards, Superstar
  • Not strictly true as the quotes i had used dissapeared which then changes the context of my comments. Im just disappointed that Ive been called out as a liar and selling poor quality goods over and over again by a moderator with basically just rumor to back up the claims. The person making these changes is also the person who is making up alot of the rubbish about Superstar.

As you can see these rumors have now been propergated as the "truth" by people who don't know the full story as its been edited.

Anyway ive got better things to do than argue with people who base their opinions on things they "heard" on the interweb of misinformation or just plain made up.

Regards, Superstar

So what about the several people on here me included who have purchased your products and weren't happy with them? Clearly we must be wrong. But I can't be bothered anymore I will just take my business elsewhere in future.
  • DKay
    Not strictly true as the quotes i had used dissapeared which then changes the context of my comments. Im just disappointed that Ive been called out as a liar and selling poor quality goods over and over again by a moderator with basically just rumor to back up the claims. The person making these changes is also the person who is making up alot of the rubbish about Superstar.

Regards, Superstar

I've only ever reported the truth about your products as and when I've bought them. But, you are 100% unwilling to even entertain or remotely acknowledge that the build quality of your wheels is variable at best. This comes across as plain arrogance, which does you no favours at all.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    For my sins, I work, amongst other areas, in public relations. Mr Superstar, surely it must be obvious to you that every time you post something you prolong the discussion about your company's abilities? For transparency that's wonderful but is it good for your company's reputation to continue to do this?
  • DKay wrote:
    Not strictly true as the quotes i had used dissapeared which then changes the context of my comments. Im just disappointed that Ive been called out as a liar and selling poor quality goods over and over again by a moderator with basically just rumor to back up the claims. The person making these changes is also the person who is making up alot of the rubbish about Superstar.

Regards, Superstar

I've only ever reported the truth about your products as and when I've bought them. But, you are 100% unwilling to even entertain or remotely acknowledge that the build quality of your wheels is variable at best. This comes across as plain arrogance, which does you no favours at all.

Hello I've said before I'm sorry you have apparently had an issue, and problems do happen. But when you inform customer service of the issue they will sort it for you. There are many reasons which could cause the issue and without looking in person I can't comment on what your problem or solution is, hence you need to contact customer service if you have one

As I've said before one problem does not equal every one of our hundreds of pairs a week is faulty.

My issue I'm bringing up is an moderator of the forum who has only ever touched one pair of our wheels by the sounds of it seems to be propergating myths about it. And now seems to be editing and deleting posts to suit his campaign.... Fair honest and transparent I think not

If you have any issues just get in contact we are here to look after you! superstar