Superstar Components carbon wheels?

Comments

• paxington
    paxington Posts: 162
    I'd being very interested to hear feed back from anyone who's actually ridden these wheels.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    paxington wrote:
    I'd being very interested to hear feed back from anyone who's actually ridden these wheels.

Which is why I started this thread...
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    matt-h got a pair for Christmas, except his wheels have DT 240 hubs. Feel free to send him a PM for his thoughts, as he's read and not replied to mine.

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13007575&p=19337950#p19337950
  • Hello the rims are badged up for lots of brands which i cannot disclose because of my OE agreement with the manufacturer. The make carbon rims for quite a majority of the big brands on the market, and have won many titles under those logos.

The resin is a high tech high TG resin, but the OE rims are not as high technology as the "slightly" better current model the manufacturer sells under their own brands. needless to say the replacment for this model line of rims will be sililar to "last years spec" of the manufacturers current line. They are definitely not made by any of the ebay special rim companies!

Its quite simple, the brand makes super high end rims for thier own brand, then the next year they improve it slightly and the original model becomes this seasons OE model. So yes we are not as high tech as a £xxxx branded wheelset, but the same as last years £xxxx wheelset...

Regards, Superstar
  • DKay
    The resin is a high tech high TG resin, but the OE rims are not as high technology as the "slightly" better current model the manufacturer sells under their own brands. needless to say the replacment for this model line of rims will be sililar to "last years spec" of the manufacturers current line. They are definitely not made by any of the ebay special rim companies!

Its quite simple, the brand makes super high end rims for thier own brand, then the next year they improve it slightly and the original model becomes this seasons OE model. So yes we are not as high tech as a £xxxx branded wheelset, but the same as last years £xxxx wheelset...

Regards, Superstar

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. So all of this points towards what has already been deduced, that the Superstar rims are the Reynolds Assault rim from two generations back, with the old style 'scrim' brake-track, but the rest of the rim is made with high Tg resin.

It does raise the question as to why there is a still a scrim brake track on the rim at all though. But I'm happy with the response.
  • DKay wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. So all of this points towards what has already been deduced, that the Superstar rims are the Reynolds Assault rim from two generations back, with the old style 'scrim' brake-track, but the rest of the rim is made with high Tg resin.

It does raise the question as to why there is a still a scrim brake track on the rim at all though. But I'm happy with the response.

I'm glad you also like a bit of investigative work, which happen to be the point of fora.
    Yep, Reynolds have a manufacturing facility in China, where they make their rims and probably use the older molds to make OEM rims... I'm sure Ritchey rims are pretty much the same thing and possibly even DT Swiss carbon rims are made by Reynolds, among others. The design would point towards 2010-2011 molds... (pre TdF testing) Ritchey goes as far as saying that their rims are designed by Paul Lew, who we all know of course...
    Mr Superstar could at least use the smilies to acknowledge how far we are from the truth... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yeah, I don't think the Ritchey thing is too much of a secret. I was just browsing some and noticed that some of the Carbon clinchers use "Reynolds technology."

That technology being, quite clearly, "made by."
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Yeah, I don't think the Ritchey thing is too much of a secret. I was just browsing some and noticed that some of the Carbon clinchers use "Reynolds technology."

That technology being, quite clearly, "made by."

Funny these OE agreements... which words you can and cannot use... are you not into litigation Bender?
  • Aye, certainly am.

It was these, btw, which are assaults.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... r_Wheelset
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Anyone got any idea on the weights of the different rim options? 1430 is the only reference I can see on their website but doesn't say which rim depth that is for 32/46/66?
  • DKay
    Anyone got any idea on the weights of the different rim options? 1430 is the only reference I can see on their website but doesn't say which rim depth that is for 32/46/66?

The weights are on their website.

32mm - 400g
    46mm - 450g
    66mm - 582g
  • DKay
    DKay wrote:

I'm glad you also like a bit of investigative work, which happen to be the point of fora.

Coming from a science background, I can't help but look at things critically. I think it's a very useful personality trait, even though some people may not like it at times.

The Ritchey distributor, Paligap also lists the wheels as having Reynolds-built Assault rims:

http://www.paligap.cc/Ritchey-WCS-Apex- ... set_5692_p

The rims in this vid of the Ritchey wheels look pretty much identical to my Superstar rims.

http://youtu.be/pleP3I-LFwI?t=36s
  • so now everyone is happy with what has gone into making the wheels and we'll assume they are made perfectly. Good Buy?
  • DKay
    That's down to your decision, but I'm happy enough.
  • DKay wrote:
    Anyone got any idea on the weights of the different rim options? 1430 is the only reference I can see on their website but doesn't say which rim depth that is for 32/46/66?

32mm - 400g
    46mm - 450g
    66mm - 582g

So can I assume that a set of 46s weighs around 1530g without tape/skewers etc? (Only published weight on the site for the full build is 1430 which I'm guessing is for the 33mm rim option so added 50g per rim on assuming all else would be the same).
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Have to say these look tempting at the current price, a 32 / 46 combination would be great I reckon.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • DKay
    DKay wrote:

32mm - 400g
    46mm - 450g
    66mm - 582g

So can I assume that a set of 46s weighs around 1530g without tape/skewers etc? (Only published weight on the site for the full build is 1430 which I'm guessing is for the 33mm rim option so added 50g per rim on assuming all else would be the same).

You could always read the weights of my wheels which I stated a couple of pages back.
  • DKay wrote:
    DKay wrote:

32mm - 400g
    46mm - 450g
    66mm - 582g

You could always read the weights of my wheels which I stated a couple of pages back.

Ah yes sorry, despite reading the thread three times I completely missed that! Thanks for that.

Seems like a good deal for the cash, was going to get some PXs but think I'll give these a go instead. As someone with experience of £1500 wheelset having severe hub issues (Ugo will be familiar) I don't necessarily buy into the concept of you get what you pay for!! Seem like a good inexpensive option for some crit racing this year.

DKay have you tried running them tubeless at all?
  • Seem like a good inexpensive option for some crit racing this year.

There is more than a pair of deep rims to a good set of racing wheels... you need stiffness for those sprints and tight corners. They have chosen to build these with the least stiff spoke on the market (and not many of them) so I doubt they'll give you any advantage over a set of Ksyrium.
    The original Reynolds 46 were built with DT Comp on the drive side for stiffness and in the latest incarnation with DT Aerolite both sides. Also, the NDS was built radial to marginally increase lateral stiffness.
  • DKay
    I've not used my wheels at all yet, full stop. I enquired to Superstar if they're tubeless compatible, as the £399 listing says they're 'tubeless ready', but they replied back saying that they're not tubeless compatible. Although I've converted my Archetypes and running them tubeless just fine.
  • DKay wrote:
    I've not used my wheels at all yet, full stop. I enquired to Superstar if they're tubeless compatible, as the £399 listing says they're 'tubeless ready', but they replied back saying that they're not tubeless compatible. Although I've converted my Archetypes and running them tubeless just fine.

Just ordered asset of the 399 46mm sets. £299 with the discount code. Definitely states they are tubeless ready on the website so not sure how they can advertise that if they arent but will see when they arrive.

Tempted to have the rear rebuilt with a powertap hub. Anyone on here with more knowledge that me know if this is doable?
  • paxington
    paxington Posts: 162
    DKay wrote:

Just ordered asset of the 399 46mm sets. £299 with the discount code. Definitely states they are tubeless ready on the website so not sure how they can advertise that if they arent but will see when they arrive.

Tempted to have the rear rebuilt with a powertap hub. Anyone on here with more knowledge that me know if this is doable?
    Seems almost rude not to at that price. Cyclepowermeters.com would be the guys to talk to re conversion. I've dealt with Bob Tobin who is extremely knowledgeable/helpful and I believe Tom Tobin does the wheel building.Powertap do do a 24 hole hub.
  • Thanks I will drop them a line.
  • DKay
    DKay wrote:

This is why asked the question as their website says contradictory things and I told them so. They clearly replied back to me, that they aren't meant to be run tubeless and apologised to the wrong info on their website description.
  • Regardless of what manufacturers say or not say, a tubeless rim has an internal profile like the one on the right

A23-2.png

It is perfectly possible to rebuild a 24 H rim on a power tap. The power tap is just like any other hub. If you go that route it is maybe a good idea to upsize the rear spoke to something stiffer like Sapim Race or CX Ray if you want bladed
  • Thanks that's really helpful. I figured for 299 it's worth it even if I did have to get rebuilt, especially if I can find a decent priced powertap
  • DKay wrote:
    DKay wrote:

32mm - 400g
    46mm - 450g
    66mm - 582g

Interesting that superstar quoted me 100g heavier for the same build you have bought. Will see when they arrive.
    I hope the wheels are better than superstar customer service/product knowledge!! ;)
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I bought a couple of pairs of these, 32's and 46's. Left the 46's at my parents but took the 32's, weighed those and was happy to find they were 1403g (790/613) with the rim tape. Also no ones said if they come with brake inserts, mine did and they were blue Reynolds badged pad inserts.
    Installed the front and it has a minor buckle, so not great. I'll be able to sort it myself as only 2 spokes need a minor tweak but I don't have an internal spoke key to hand.
  • Salsa wrote:
    Installed the front and it has a minor buckle, so not great.

It's checked with lasers...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Salsa wrote:
    Installed the front and it has a minor buckle, so not great.

It's checked with lasers...

The bending of light is at the cutting edge of Physics...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition