Superstar Components carbon wheels?

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    DKay wrote:
    There is no swirl lip generator on the rims. Here is a couple of pics of my wheels.

Then you got your answer... they are not Reynolds rims and the claims about being tested in the Grand Tours are bollox...

That would seem to be the case.
  • DKay wrote:
    That would seem to be the case.

As long as they share the same high Tg resin and manufacturing process... the lip thingy in itself is just a gimmick, obviously.

Between me and you... get the tensions checked though :!:
    left the forum March 2023
  • DKay
    Fully intend to. Although at 5'4'' and 57kg, I'm not too hard on wheels.
  • DKay wrote:
    Fully intend to. Although at 5'4'' and 57kg, I'm not too hard on wheels.

That's irrelevant
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    paxington wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    I took the plunge and ordered a set of these wheels using Superstar's custom configurator and they arrived today. I specced 20/24 46mm rims, Sapim Lazer spokes, Icon 11spd. hubs in black and brass nipples.

Weights are front: 676g, rear: 816g, which is 1492g the pair excluding rim tapes.

Without checking tensions, build seems fine, but the external rim widths are interesting. The 20-hole front measures 21.8mm external, but the 24-hole rear measures 21.3mm. Internal width is 15mm on both wheels.

Could be that they allow a bit more "meat" on the brake track up-front as it takes more of the braking stress/wear ? Just guessing here I should stress.

How does the 24 hole rear rim know that it isn't going to end up on the front hub of a 24-28 combo?! :wink: (Assuming these aren't fancy pants asymmetric bespoke for rear type rims....)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    paxington wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    I took the plunge and ordered a set of these wheels using Superstar's custom configurator and they arrived today. I specced 20/24 46mm rims, Sapim Lazer spokes, Icon 11spd. hubs in black and brass nipples.

Weights are front: 676g, rear: 816g, which is 1492g the pair excluding rim tapes.

Without checking tensions, build seems fine, but the external rim widths are interesting. The 20-hole front measures 21.8mm external, but the 24-hole rear measures 21.3mm. Internal width is 15mm on both wheels.

Could be that they allow a bit more "meat" on the brake track up-front as it takes more of the braking stress/wear ? Just guessing here I should stress.

How does the 24 hole rear rim know that it isn't going to end up on the front hub of a 24-28 combo?! :wink: (Assuming these aren't fancy pants asymmetric bespoke for rear type rims....)

That would be a very novel concept ...Sentient wheel rims. However,one might fairly speculate that the rim manufacturer would know it's intended purpose, especially given that this particular wheel-set is only offered in 20/24 configuration. I wasn't aware that front/rear specific rims were a new idea.
    Your comments illustrate a valid point though : "Assuming" and "guessing" are pretty much the same thing............
  • DKay
    DKay wrote:
    There is no swirl lip generator on the rims. Here is a couple of pics of my wheels.

Then you got your answer... they are not Reynolds rims and the claims about being tested in the Grand Tours are bollox...

Reynolds allegedly tested their carbon clinchers at the 2011 TdF with Ag2R... but if you look at the 2012 catalogue you will see they have the swirl lip thingy

Just been looking into this and doing a small bit of research; the older Reynolds Fourty Six model did feature the swirl lip generator, but the Assaults didn't. The latest Assaults do feature it.
  • DKay wrote:
    DKay wrote:

Reynolds allegedly tested their carbon clinchers at the 2011 TdF with Ag2R... but if you look at the 2012 catalogue you will see they have the swirl lip thingy

Just been looking into this and doing a small bit of research; the older Reynolds Fourty Six model did feature the swirl lip generator, but the Assaults didn't. The latest Assaults do feature it.

The 2012 catalogue mentions the SLG as a feature across the range, but you might be right on this. The other thing I noticed is Reynolds have a mesh finish at the brake track, while your photos seem to show unidirectional weave even there, but maybe it's just the light?
  • DKay
    edited January 2015
    The 2012 catalogue mentions the SLG as a feature across the range, but you might be right on this. The other thing I noticed is Reynolds have a mesh finish at the brake track, while your photos seem to show unidirectional weave even there, but maybe it's just the light?

Along with the lack of the SLG (which seems to be correct), this is one of the things which I noticed at first. The brake track upon first glance does look to be UD carbon. But if you look closer under certain light conditions, there is a 'mesh' pattern visible where the track track is. It looks more dense than pictures I've seen of Assaults, but it is there. The internal finish of the rim seems good where the tyre bead sits; better than my old Chinese carbon clinchers from Yishun.

My 25mm Pro4 Edurance tyres were a doddle to fit, requiring no tyre levers.

IMAG3159_BURST0041_zpsac2e8116.jpg

IMAG31571_zpse5f858fc.jpg
  • DKay wrote:

Along with the lack of the SLG (which seems to be correct), this is one of the things which I noticed at first. The brake track upon first glance does look to be UD carbon. But if you look closer under ceertain light conditions, there is a 'mesh' pattern visible where the track track is. It looks more dense than pictures I've seen of Assaults, but it is there.

That looks to me the classic strip of basalt, as seen in many rims from the far east... it would be interesting to get some clues from SS, but given the reply Email we had in the past, I think they are handcuffed by some agreement
  • DKay
    DKay wrote:

Along with the lack of the SLG (which seems to be correct), this is one of the things which I noticed at first. The brake track upon first glance does look to be UD carbon. But if you look closer under certain light conditions, there is a 'mesh' pattern visible where the track track is. It looks more dense than pictures I've seen of Assaults, but it is there. The internal finish of the rim seems good where the tyre bead sits; better than my old Chinese carbon clinchers from Yishun.

My 25mm Pro4 Edurance tyres were a doddle to fit, requiring no tyre levers.

Here is a pic of the older Assaults and the brake track looks pretty much the same.

reynolds-assualt-02-hi.jpg

The new version of the Assaults have a different brake track.

03-IMG_7551.jpg
  • DKay
    Interestingly, other pics of the old Assaults show a different brake track pattern, which looks the same as the latest model.

assault-12.jpg

Doing some research, it seems as though Reynolds upgraded the braking surface quite soon into the product life of the older Assaults.
  • Once they introduced the high Tg resin, there was no longer a need for basalt or similar... in theory yours are TdF tested, hence post 2011, hence should have the high Tg and NO basalt or other coating...
  • DKay
    In theory....

I've invited Superstar for comment, but the message has been sat in my Outbox for the past few days. I don't expect an answer though, for the reasons already stated.

But looking at the evidence so far, it looks as though the 46mm Superstar rims are based on the pre 2011 Reynolds Assaults with the 'scrim' braking track.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/rides-new ... 44rPZHK.97
  • DKay wrote:

But looking at the evidence so far, it looks as though the 46mm Superstar rims are based on the pre 2011 Reynolds Assaults with the 'scrim' braking track.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/rides-new ... 44rPZHK.97

Hopefully not... as that would imply no high Tg and lies plain and simple on the website.
    If the rims don't have high Tg resin, but a strip of "basalt" instead, what makes them better than an average Chinese carbon clincher set from Wheelsfar or similar? From what I have seen and heard, the latter are built better
  • Is there a general consensus then on which Chinese outfit produce the "better", cheap wheelsets? Wheelsfar? Carbonzone? Yishun?
  • DKay
    General consensus is Farsport aka. Wheelsfar are the best, or rather, they're a known decent quantity. Yoeleobike.com are also meant to have a decent reputation.
  • DKay wrote:
    General consensus is Farsport aka. Wheelsfar are the best, or rather, they're a known decent quantity. Yoeleobike.com are also meant to have a decent reputation.

Yeah, had a quick look at Wheelsfar- I'm assuming prices are USD?
  • DKay
    If I recall correctly, yes. You'll need to factor in carriage to the UK which is usually around £50 and you could also get stung for import duty. Any warrantee claims aren't the total nightmare they once were, but it's still a bit of a pain.
  • They seem considerably more expensive than some of the others then. Dunno if that's a good thing or not lol!

£515 approx for a set inc carriage, not including any duty...
  • DKay
    Yep. Their popularity has seen their prices increase by quite a lot in the past 18months or so.
  • anyone know if any discount codes for Superstar are still valid?
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Does anyone know the width of these rims?

And I'm guessing they're not 11 speed compatible?
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    I took a punt on their rsr wheels for my winter bike £69 delivered, I've put some miles in them and they are very good, I was going to buy r500 but the rsrs are 1650g. Why are people moaning about the carbon ones for £350, if you want reynolds go pay a grand, two years warrenty and free truing, if you've got ten speed they're a bargain.
  • DKay
    Elfed wrote:
    Does anyone know the width of these rims?

And I'm guessing they're not 11 speed compatible?

Read the rest of the thread. :roll:
  • DKay
    edited January 2015
    Paul1000 wrote:
    Why are people moaning about the carbon ones for £350, if you want reynolds go pay a grand, two years warrenty and free truing, if you've got ten speed they're a bargain.

I think you'll find that I haven't moaned once in the entire thread. But, as it currently stands, all of the evidence points towards the fact that the rims have not been proven in any of the Grand Tours. You should get what is described in the product description, agreed?
  • Paul1000 wrote:
    Why are people moaning about the carbon ones for £350, if you want reynolds go pay a grand, two years warrenty and free truing, if you've got ten speed they're a bargain.

I think you are missing the point, nobody is moaning, it's just a discussion that hopefully will be clarified by the retailer in due course. The description highlights that the rims have high Tg resin and they have been tested in the Grand Tours... if you do 2+2 = they have to be Reynolds rims in disguise to fit the description. No other rim could be described as above. If they are not, then the description is not accurate, which might or might not be important to you...

Nobody is questioning whether £ 350 is a fair price or not, the problem is that if they are not Reynolds rims in disguise, then you have to compare them with the rest of the market of NON high Tg resin rims, which basically means Chinese imports or UK retailed Chinese imports. While if they are, then at that price they surely are a bargain

Hope that explains
  • DKay
    Nobody is questioning whether £ 350 is a fair price or not, the problem is that if they are not Reynolds rims in disguise, then you have to compare them with the rest of the market of NON high Tg resin rims, which basically means Chinese imports or UK retailed Chinese imports. While if they are, then at that price they surely are a bargain

Hope that explains

That's the point. For the same price, I could have gone the Chinese carbon route (which I've done before and been very happy), which offer wider rims and more modern designs, similar weights and similar (or better) components. The big attraction of the Superstar wheels are the promise of a high Tg resin, a 2-year UK warrantee and Superstars crash replacement scheme, which sounds good. The free trueing service is neither-here-nor there to me though, personally.
  • So what would you go for these or PX carbon clinchers?