Planet X London Road

Comments

• I really like the look of these. I am thinking of getting rid of my CX comp and having one of these as a winter / foul weather bike which will have guards on permanently.
  • In case anybody else is wondering about mudguards, as I was. I fitted SKS longboards, they fitted without any problems. I got the 45mm version as have swapped my 35mm Marathon Pluses over from the old bike. I did need to do a little bending of the mounts but took very little time to do so.

I took it on its first rides yesterday and today and very impressed, it rides really well and brakes were excellent. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. I am ~6'2" and the fit is fine, possibly need a longer stem, but I will see how I get on with the standard one, not suer I have enough cable length to just flip it.
  • In case anybody else is wondering about mudguards, as I was. I fitted SKS longboards, they fitted without any problems. I got the 45mm version as have swapped my 35mm Marathon Pluses over from the old bike. I did need to do a little bending of the mounts but took very little time to do so.

I took it on its first rides yesterday and today and very impressed, it rides really well and brakes were excellent. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. I am ~6'2" and the fit is fine, possibly need a longer stem, but I will see how I get on with the standard one, not suer I have enough cable length to just flip it.

Great to hear! I finally got my mudguards sorted by moving the mounts slightly too.
  • I've now bought some Planet X Gutter Snipe 28c road tyres to use on my commuting days when it's simply too cold and wet for me to consider riding through fields. They fitted extremely easily, which surprised me. It took literally 5 minutes to swap the tyres around, and they sat perfectly first time. The Planet X wheels are quite possibly the easiest rims to change tyres on that I've ever had.
  • So..... I'd forgotten how much of a difference there is between off-road tyres and on-road tyres. I had my first proper ride yesterday, and I was at least 3km/h faster on the same stretches, while taking it fairly easy.

Having the choice between the two is awesome. I'm booked to go visit family in Austria later this year. Having the two sets of tyres means I can do everything I want out there with no draw backs. Best purchase ever (this bike with extra tyres).
  • How are you getting on with the bike now?

I've been wondering for a while about getting a CX bike but one which can be used for the likes of ex railway tracks and winter road riding rather than racing.
  • I've been really enjoying it. With the new tyres I am able to switch out very quickly from CX to road duties, and having this bike has been a revelation for getting to and from work without being too soaked in the rain. I find this bike to be absolutely stunning value for money, and love the colour too.

I would suggest going for a CX bike. I was a very keen mountain biker a few years ago, and now being able to at least get off-road since i've moved back to Cambridge has brought the fun back into riding for me. Thank god I got it!
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I'm close to pushing the button on the Tiagra Argento version (I;m cheap I know). Did you lot buy online and just get it delivered? If so was it easy to get it set up and running ok? I'm not that confident with fixing things at home but not able to easily get to one of PX's shops. I am only used to buying from a physical shop where they recommend the size and sort out the fit, etc. I'm guessing these bikes come in a cardboard box with the bars turned around and wheels off. Do you have to adjust the brakes and gearing as well as turn the bars around?

I am also looking at the Pinnacle Arkose (the £700 one which has sora but full carbon forks), Does the London Road also have carbon forks (full or with alloy steerer). Also I guess th midway bolt on the forks is for a guard mount and not a low loader rack. I can't see a bike like this handling a front rack. What are the rack and guard mounting points like on this? Also will they take a normal rack or do you have to go with disc specific ones (I think if the dic brake is inboard of the stays you might get away with any rack).

So many questions, sorry. I have never bought a bike online and want the LR as it seems on paper right for me. I may chicken out in favour of a shop and the evans bike. Although Tiagra over sora is enticing.
  • I'm close to pushing the button on the Tiagra Argento version (I;m cheap I know). Did you lot buy online and just get it delivered? If so was it easy to get it set up and running ok? I'm not that confident with fixing things at home but not able to easily get to one of PX's shops. I am only used to buying from a physical shop where they recommend the size and sort out the fit, etc. I'm guessing these bikes come in a cardboard box with the bars turned around and wheels off. Do you have to adjust the brakes and gearing as well as turn the bars around?

I am also looking at the Pinnacle Arkose (the £700 one which has sora but full carbon forks), Does the London Road also have carbon forks (full or with alloy steerer). Also I guess th midway bolt on the forks is for a guard mount and not a low loader rack. I can't see a bike like this handling a front rack. What are the rack and guard mounting points like on this? Also will they take a normal rack or do you have to go with disc specific ones (I think if the dic brake is inboard of the stays you might get away with any rack).

So many questions, sorry. I have never bought a bike online and want the LR as it seems on paper right for me. I may chicken out in favour of a shop and the evans bike. Although Tiagra over sora is enticing.

No worries on the questions. I'll run them in order, so keep up :D

The bike was delivered in a HUGE box. It was assembled 100%, all I had to do was attach pedals, undo the stem bolts and straighten the bars and it was good to go. After that I spent about 10 minutes setting saddle height and such and took it for a ride. There was no gearing set up I needed to do, but if you are not that confident with disc brakes it would be worth getting a quick check up done a few weeks after having it delivered to make sure the brakes are bedded in well, and deal with any cable stretch. Any normal shop should only charge a nominal amount for this, as it is a very quick process. They come ready to go out of the box!

Also, since they are disc brakes, don't forget to bed the pads in. Get up to around 30kmh and then brake hard, and repeat about 10 times. This will get everything seated and will ensure a good power.

With regards to mounting points, you've got it right. The ones on the forks, which aren't carbon as far as I know, are for the guards. Since they have disc brakes you have to mount them from a different point. When I was first setting the bike up, I struggled getting my guards to work. I then realised after about a week or so that I hadn't undone the clamp for the guard so I thought I had shorter bars, but it turned out to be a dumb user instead. Any guards should fit.

I've currently got a cheap rack on there, nothing special at all. It mounted up in a few seconds, as you would expect, and has been great. I would highly recommend going with the London Road, both because it is a great bike, and does get higher specification. I've found it to be an absolutely lovely bike. I love the way it rides, it's great having everything I want in a bike like a rack, guards, disc brakes, road geometry, ability to go off road if needed and proper drops.

Also, don't be worried about learning to fix small bits like the brakes. I originally used Youtube to watch videos with tips on fettling, and it worked out well. For the most part, you can't do much damage that isn't rectifyable by a shop for cheap. Disc brake set up is a cinch, and I tend to adjust them once a month to ensure good braking with no squeal.

Best of luck!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    They are carbon forks, not sure if alloy or carbon steerer though. I have a frame in an box in the garage waiting to be built up when I have time. Would like to see a few more of these "in the wild" plenty of stock pics around but not so many reviews etc yet.
  • ravey1981 wrote:
    They are carbon forks, not sure if alloy or carbon steerer though. I have a frame in an box in the garage waiting to be built up when I have time. Would like to see a few more of these "in the wild" plenty of stock pics around but not so many reviews etc yet.

I didn't realise they were carbon forks. Bonus!

I can't say i've seen one in the wild either, other than mine of course. I have no clue how long Planet X have been producing them for, but it can't be that long!
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Come up to the North east coast/ North yorks moors and you will see one thrashing about around these parts most days.
    Took it up Rosedale chimney . Egton and Blakey bank climbs last Sunday .
    Loving the bike , and it has the approval of my ten year old daughter "Love the colour of your bike dad" which is high praise indeed as she has never liked any of my others !
    regards
    ILG
  • tangled_metal
    That's the SRAM version. I can only afford the Tiagra "Argento" version. Silver frame only. Doesn't look as nice but suppose that might attract less attention if locked up in town.
  • ilovegrace
    London Road update
    Washed my LR this morning , lent it up against a low wall and scratched the seat stay !
    :(
    regards
    ILG
  • That's the SRAM version. I can only afford the Tiagra "Argento" version. Silver frame only. Doesn't look as nice but suppose that might attract less attention if locked up in town.

It's not a bad colour, if not slightly drab. It may look stunning in person though, you never know.

And ILoveGrace, what a shame! Things happen, fill it in quickly!
  • ilovegrace
    And ILoveGrace, what a shame! Things happen, fill it in quickly!

What is the best way to repair scratches ?, would love to find some Zesty coloured paint spray , but that is the trouble not going black , white blue etc , Zesty green does not seem a popular spray can colour.
    Any how a little meditating now and then of to bed with a glass of red and Bike etc mag.
    regards
    ILG
  • You don't necessarily need a rattle can, there is probably a paint pen done in the colour. Quite a few cars are done in those colours now, so a repair kit has to be available. I'd suggest a trip to your local Halfords or car shop and see what they've got!
  • tangled_metal
    ilovegrace wrote:
    London Road update
    Washed my LR this morning , lent it up against a low wall and scratched the seat stay !
    :(
    regards
    ILG

I know what that's like. As a very young child I got a new bike for my birthday. It was my second bike bought after I'd grown out of the bike I learnt to ride without stabilizers on. It was my first drop bar bike and I was over the moon. A bit too big for me. Being a young kid I rode it on the pavement which was a bit narrow with a low wall. I fell over and put a 2 inch long by half cm scratch down the immaculate fork. First ever ride! Gutted. I actually rode that bike until I was able to afford my first proper road bike after a really good summer job. I learnt to forget about that scratch but never the same again.
  • tangled_metal
    One thing, if it's not a large and obvious scratch you might get away with a close match. My old bike had a blue colour with metallic specks in it. My dad used a basic blue and it really want noticed unless you knew about it.
  • ilovegrace
    Any one for zesty green nail varnish ?
    Trying to convince the young one she would look trendy with nails that colour !
    regards
    ILG
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    The SRAM Rival London Road road bike is down from £999 to £799 now. Ordered mine today. Zesty lime, obviously!
  • It is always such a shame for me to hear that when I paid £999. At £799 it is an absolute bargain. Enjoy it!
  • I've just taken off the mudguards and rack from the bike for some serious fun blasts into work next week. Looking forward to it.
  • I realised that my position was all wrong on the bike, so I ordered a 10mm shorter stem and pushed my saddle back a bit. That, mixed with a slight adjustment of the cleats has made a huge difference to my knees. I only had a short blast, but felt nothing in my knees for the first time in years which was weird and nice.

I have ordered new cleats.
  • So, some new images:

DSC02934_zpsse0zp20k.jpg
    DSC02936_zpsydlmh7og.jpg
    DSC02938_zpsehnsehbp.jpg
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Whats the black circle on at the top of the downtube?
  • Those aee reflective stickers. I added them myself, it keeps the wife happy!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice one...
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    ianlash wrote:
    The SRAM Rival London Road road bike is down from £999 to £799 now. Ordered mine today. Zesty lime, obviously!

I noticed the London Road frame was now available in Stealth Black the day before my bike was due to be built, so I asked Planet X if it would be possible to swap the lime for black, and they helpfully did! It is available to buy as a full bike now. Here's a photo of mine, which I got out of its (massive) box yesterday:-

10p1z08.jpg
  • That looks cool in black, but wouldn't want it myself. I absolutely love the green because it's such a rare colour on the roads around these ways. I like standing out haha! Enjoy it, I'm glad to hear planet x were able to get the frame colour changes at such short notice.