2014 Worlds Junior/U23/Women Road Race *Spoilers*

1235»

Comments

• I still can't believe this was 'presented' up until someone actually paid attention as a course for the likes of Valverede, e.g. climbers with a bit of a sprint. The first 'climb' averages 3.3%. I am feeling thoroughly underwhelmed I must say.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • I still can't believe this was 'presented' up until someone actually paid attention as a course for the likes of Valverede, e.g. climbers with a bit of a sprint. The first 'climb' averages 3.3%. I am feeling thoroughly underwhelmed I must say.

Yeah it is a total joke and I agree with your previous comment about the area - pretty bloody awful. Nothing inspiring, nothing creative.

I wonder if it is simply a case of money talks and UCI just go with that. Also these lightweight courses where the brutes are in prime contention must be down to money (amoung other reasons, making sure there is a good attendence from the cycling elite rather than just the top climbers and their domestiques).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB wrote:
    Prevot will carry the jersey well and is a good image to present women's cycling to the World

Indeed, that's added to being National RR, TT, CX and MTB champion, Flèche Wallone and current MTB world relay champ. Sounds like she can hang up the team jerseys for a while :D

ByjQcbnIAAAhIV1.jpg

2nd place won the TT. Would recognise those ears anywhere.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I wonder if it is simply a case of money talks and UCI just go with that. Also these lightweight courses where the brutes are in prime contention must be down to money (amoung other reasons, making sure there is a good attendence from the cycling elite rather than just the top climbers and their domestiques).

Doubt it was a money thing, as there were severe financial problems with this event.

Big problem here is that a few years back we had people like Manolo Saiz telling us it was like a mountain stage at the Tour. Now I know he's got some problems with the truth but still.

The elite mens race won't look like the other races, it never does.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I don't think the course is as bad as all that - there is enough in it if riders race aggressively - don't forget the worlds is a long race and if teams make it hard then those climbs are hard enough to drop the sprinters - if they wait for everyone else to do something then we'll get some sprinters there at the finish.

As for today - hard to blame Lizzie and Vos for that group getting caught as they were the two that were doing the most of the 4. I thought Lizzie's chance came with about 1.5 k to go when it slowed up and she was on the back of the group - if she'd gone over the top then any hesitation from the other 3 and she'd have been in with a very good chance but it was a couple of second window of opportunity. Pretty poor race overall though - I know it's not an exhibition but when you get one race per year live on mainstream TV that is not a good advertisement for the sport.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I still can't believe this was 'presented' up until someone actually paid attention as a course for the likes of Valverede, e.g. climbers with a bit of a sprint. The first 'climb' averages 3.3%. I am feeling thoroughly underwhelmed I must say.

Yeah it is a total joke and I agree with your previous comment about the area - pretty bloody awful. Nothing inspiring, nothing creative.

Not sure about all that, but at least you can't accuse the Spanish of designing a course to suit their own riders
  • Interesting Iain.

The profiles I saw before don't match reality. Either they cooked the books so to speak or the course has changed.

Here's hoping for a proper race. Anyone but Gerrans or an Aussie or a US rider. Part of me wants a Valverde win actually.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Here's hoping for a proper race. Anyone but Gerrans or an Aussie or a US rider. Part of me wants a Valverde win actually.

Anyone but Cancellera or Valverde for me
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Cancellara, EBH, Gilbert or Sagan for me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Whats the Cauberg stats? 1.5km at 5%? Sort of climb can be interesting as it is not too shallow to although sprinters an easy ride and not too hard to leave all but the top climbers in contention. Big ring hill - can be very, very exciting especially eith 230km in the legs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    FJS wrote:
    Not sure about all that, but at least you can't accuse the Spanish of designing a course to suit their own riders

"What do you mean, Freire has retired? We've designed the perfect course for him to win his fourth world title!"
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Whats the Cauberg stats? 1.5km at 5%? Sort of climb can be interesting as it is not too shallow to although sprinters an easy ride and not too hard to leave all but the top climbers in contention. Big ring hill - can be very, very exciting especially eith 230km in the legs.
    The Cauberg peaks at 14-16% though. Only big ring for the likes of Gilbert and J-Rod now and about half the peloton 10-15 years ago
  • Interesting Iain.

The profiles I saw before don't match reality. Either they cooked the books so to speak or the course has changed.

The best World courses (and 1 dayers in general) are those which offer something for every rider. Ponferrada presents options. Look at the junior men or the first 2/last 2laps in the U23 men - they were ripping shreds out of each other. The elite race will be easier to control with the depth in strength of teams like the Aussies but there's enough there if the riders take the initiative. The Brits and the Americans did nothing in the elite women's race to make it more selective which they both needed to do. The Dutch gave it a go with Blaak at least.
  • Valverde all the way on this one. He's had a great season and is smarter, more devious and treacherous than the rest of the peleton put together. a man against boys.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Really can't understand why Armitstead didn't give it a dig when it was clear that the front four were going to get caught. Maybe easy to say as a spectator but surely she can't have been thinking that she'd have a better chance in the sprint than going for a long one?
  • hindsight is a wonderful thing but perhaps she should have gone earlier on the climb. One hell of a crash early doors though.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • the Inner Ring ‏@inrng · 3m
    L' Equipe explains yesterday's team tactics with Vos telling Ferrand-Prévot "the team will ride for you" before the start

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng · 2m
    Ferrand-Prévot also earns no salary from Rabo-Liv team, just win bonuses, travel expenses + kit. "Employed" by French govt but free to ride
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Hmm well surely that is illegal to have a rider ride for you for free...especially as she is a top rider.

uci-road-world-championships-day-20140927-164025-417.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Thorstad's photos from the woman's race are brilliant:
    ZUPER-17620.jpg
    ZUPER-17662.jpg
    ZUPER-2754.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Three guesses who the Junior Worlds winner's hero is...
    553-PIC497890527.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Three guesses who the Junior Worlds winner's hero is...
    553-PIC497890527.jpg

Miley Cyrus?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Billy Idol REBEL YEELLLLLLLLLL
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • More complaining from Miss Armitstead. Maybe she has a point though.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armitst ... ive-racing
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    More complaining from Miss Armitstead. Maybe she has a point though.

Rider who doesn't win complains that the tactics of others didn't help her win shocker!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    1411835447000-AP-SPAIN-CYCLING-ROAD-WORLDS-67580196.JPG
  • More complaining from Miss Armitstead. Maybe she has a point though.

Rider who doesn't win complains that the tactics of others didn't help her win shocker!
    The problem was partly the race wasn't selective enough, perhaps something to do with the big crash when the peloton trundled along at 25 kph to allow fallen riders to regroup and the tempo pace that followed afterwrds.

But the quartet who got away at the end were also all of the same type of all-rounder, whereas had there been a sprinter in that mix, such as Olds, that would have forced some more attacking and less cat & mouse inertia.

In the end there were four similar types of rider contesting a chance for three podium spots and that gave the chasing pack the chance to drag themselves back.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Prevot at l"eroica event:
    eroica-ferrand.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Your favourite shades too Frenchie but they do make a lot more sense in this context
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest