2014 Worlds Junior/U23/Women Road Race *Spoilers*

Comments

• I only tuned in before the big crash and so don't know. Don't think so.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • UK Cycling Expert ‏@ukcyclingexpert · 1m
    Disappointing 27th place for Lizzie Armitage in the women's sportive at the moment. Note none of the riders are stopping at the feed station
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I only tuned in before the big crash and so don't know. Don't think so.

Thanks. Slovenia! Attack - Hooray!
  • The pace is a bit ridiculous - there were 3 people on mountain bikes on the other side of the barrier spinning along easy and keeping up with them on that climb.
  • Women's pro peloton could do with a Thomasena Voeckler.
  • Anyone know why Sharon Laws wasn't picked for GB Team?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Am I seeing things or is one of the riders near the front in blue+yellow kit (Swedish?) actually sporting a large pair of pigtails?? I'd have thought having your hair like that would be a real annoyance when cycling, they're about a foot long and hanging down in front of her!
  • The big crash in the women's race earlier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04J8445ygXg
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    The big crash in the women's race earlier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04J8445ygXg
    That rider in the dark kit at 25s... ouch!
  • adr82 wrote:
    Am I seeing things or is one of the riders near the front in blue+yellow kit (Swedish?) actually sporting a large pair of pigtails?? I'd have thought having your hair like that would be a real annoyance when cycling, they're about a foot long and hanging down in front of her!

She does have pigtails yes. I thought she was from Ukraine myself. Can't speak about whether they'd be annoying I don't have long hair.

I am more tickled by the Moroccan rider called Mohammed who seems to be racing.
  • Byi3t6dCEAAgshw.png:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I am more tickled by the Moroccan rider called Mohammed who seems to be racing.

Not sure if I've missed the joke but there's no Moroccan riders in this race.
  • I am more tickled by the Moroccan rider called Mohammed who seems to be racing.

Not sure if I've missed the joke but there's no Moroccan riders in this race.

There isn't, but apparently a transponder was saying that there was a Moroccan rider named Mohammed in the race. So not only is there a rider from a country not represented, that rider is also male.
  • Ah, missed that. Go Mo!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    So what's the verdict on the circuit - will it be any selection tomorrow?
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    So what's the verdict on the circuit - will it be any selection tomorrow?

It'll be a very different pattern - early break will go with a small number of riders - Australia/Germany will control then attacks will follow in last 2 laps. Women seem to have called a truce because of the crash - about 56 riders have been dropped mostly as the quality of the field is not as deep.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Just tuned in, that looked like a nasty crash, I hope the riders are OK?

It looks like it's about time for the pace to be cranked up to chuck a few riders out the back, it looks like a club run at the moment!
  • Powers puts the power down.
  • I must say this WC does not make me want to visit Ponferrada.
  • Paul 8v
    I must say this WC does not make me want to visit Ponferrada.
    What's the matter, do you not like pylons?

Normally in Spain it's cranes everywhere. They love a crane
  • I must say this WC does not make me want to visit Ponferrada.

It's been compared to Charleroi. It's very close to spectacular scenery and riding though - Ancares is just to the north.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I must say this WC does not make me want to visit Ponferrada.

I was thinking the castle and some of the hill look nice enough - against the Vuelta city circuit it looks fantastic.
  • It just looks a bit soulless and it seems to rain a lot.
  • Paul 8v
    Let's hope this descent goes OK :-\ Really want Armitstead to do it today
  • Byi3t6dCEAAgshw.png:large

If they want the World to take them seriously they need to ride faster than the Junior men...shockingly slow (multi HC col stage race in a GT pace). And that's from a fan of women's cycling.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Frenchie the pace was very slow for a long time after the massive crash. And I still don't see why there is a direct correlation between taking something seriously and how fast people go but never mind.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Get back to showing the riders! Lizzie in the lead group of 17 on the last lap.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    All back together with 14km to go.
  • Lots of little breaks on the climb but none are being let go for long
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • No one wants to take Vos with them, with the result that they will arrive at the line with Vos.

Come on Evelyn!