Castelli Alpha

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I'll be using the Alpha jersey sans base layer until Summer. Even with shorts. It's that versatile. I was never keen on the Gabba sans base layer.

Saw this post about 5 minutes ago, did the customary ebay check - saw a brand new Alpha jersey in my size for £90 - fate - and bought purely on this recommendation - so it better be good!
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    letap73 wrote:
    Saw this post about 5 minutes ago, did the customary ebay check - saw a brand new Alpha jersey in my size for £90 - fate - and bought purely on this recommendation - so it better be good!

Wore mine on Sunday, max 4 degrees maybe. Old Skins winter baselayer. Warm throughout the three hour ride without overheating.

The fit is outstanding. Feels like my club summer race jersey.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    MIne has arrived! Laurel and black looks amazing, kind of like the Humbrol undercoat I used to use on Airfix kits :D

It looks a lot smaller/tighter than my Elemento, though it seems a lot more stretchy too. Can't wait to get home and try it on properly.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm pretty sure IP bought it as I got the £5 referral bonus!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I did indeed - as mentioned on the other thread. Spent my TDU winnings!
  • revmatt
    revmatt Posts: 75
    I bought both in XL (Black Alpha jersey & Back gabba 2) from Evans cycles a few days ago, they arrived today.

I am 189 cm 6'2.5, 90kgs, chest 38/39inch, slim fit. Longer than average arms.

Was nearly convinced on the Alpha based on reading this forum and this helpful article:

http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/blog/stuf ... -or-gabba/

However on arrival the Gabba fits me far better.

The arms are a better length. The Alpha arms aren't short, but not as comfortable as the Gabba arms which feel slightly longer and fit better.

I prefer the bumflap (being so tall) it makes the whole jersey feel like it fits better.

On my shape the Gabba 'sits' better, the Alpha bunched under the arms in XL but was far too tight in L.

So am keeping Gabba and returning Alpha. I think that in deep winter with multiple baselayers the Gabba will perform as well as the Alpha (though currently have ridden neither so can only comment of fit/feel). The Alpha doesn't feel like it will do anything that putting on an additional thin tank base would achieve.

The lack of secure pockets is a disadvantage on the Gabba, the Alpha wins on that score but it is a minor point for me. The vents on the Gabba should keep it riding further into the year than I think the Alpha would manage.

I could be wrong on all counts but first impressions mean the Gabba takes the lead.

Matt
  • That's the thing about the Alpha. It doesn't feel like it should work. But boy does it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • That's the thing about the Alpha. It doesn't feel like it should work. But boy does it.

+1
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I used my alpha jacket for a night ride a couple of days ago, from 8pm to 10pm. The garmin had the temp between -1 and -2. Really noticed a big difference between this and my previous get up; I remained warm and my core was still warm to the touch when I got changed once I was home. Previously my skin would have been cold to the touch and I wouldn't have felt great. Really pleased with how the jacket performed.

I wore it with a craft extreme base layer. My legs were okay with the windstopper bibs, but not as warm as my core. My feet however, were pretty chilly! If that had been a three hour ride, they would have been very cold by the end. So the next step is something for warmer feet!
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    edited January 2015
    To the last poster.

My feet soon get cold even with overshoes so I bought some of these which are brilliant, Ive added a fleece insole as well and wear merino socks. Very toasty.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... s-ec025067
  • Gaz777 wrote:
    something for warmer feet!

I tried silver foil around my toes tonight after seeing it on a GCN vid, it works a treat, it was -1 tonight, feet were really warm.
    Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
    Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
    Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000
  • jordan_217
    My Alpha fits like one of my l/s jerseys and there's absolutely no restrictions whatsoever. Standing up it gapes around the back and shoulders but as soon as I adopted 'Assos man' position it just contoured with my body. Lovely bit of kit. I hope the weather isn't too good at the w'end as I really wanted to try it out. Might even just wear it with a mesh base layer :?:

One 'negative', the zip and closure; they've fitted a chunky zip which is great for when you're wearing gloves but the flap to cover the zip doesn't actually cover the zip. I wish more companies would adopt the Mavic (I think Rapha too) offset zip design. It just works so much nicer. Though it's a small gripe and I'm willing to live with it based on the looks and quality of the jacket.

I did my usually hold under the tap test under a section of the sleeve and water doesn't even bead on it :( it just rolls straight off, with no sign of it ever being wet :D hopefully my trusty Nik Wax will keep it that way.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Gaz777
    53/39alltheway - thanks; I'll try come tin foil over my socks (woolie boolies) on my next ride.

The Rover - very interesting, as I was looking at Northwave Fahrenheits, which I think are basically the same as yours apart from the sole/cleat fitment. What temps do you ride in with those?

Thanks
  • the_rover
    Gaz777 wrote:
    53/39alltheway - thanks; I'll try come tin foil over my socks (woolie boolies) on my next ride.

The Rover - very interesting, as I was looking at Northwave Fahrenheits, which I think are basically the same as yours apart from the sole/cleat fitment. What temps do you ride in with those?

Thanks

I'm sure someone will correct me but I don't think the ones you mention are fleece lined?
    These seem to be and are road type where as mine are mtb.
    http://roadcyclinguk.com/reviews/northw ... fb2TtqJ.97

I got them at xmas and have only used them a few times but I'm very happy with them. The coldest ride was in 2 degrees with a biting wind and my feet stayed quite warm.

Cheers.
  • Gaz777
    Ah I didn't know that about the lining. Are yours SPD only or am I wrong about that?

The yellow/black ones you linked are another pair I've considered; if they're a spd-sl version of yours (if I'm right about yours being spd) and are fleece lined I may go for those, if I can find them in my size!
  • revmatt
    revmatt Posts: 75
    Just rode 30 miles in 2 and 3 degree temps. Wind speed around 10mph. 17.5 mph average pace.

Wore DHb thermal bibs with a castelli flanders vest, a long sleeve light weight 1/4 zip icebreaker merino and the Gabba 2 LS on top.

It was wonderful, didn't need to unzip to vent and never too hot too cold. Glad I went with the gabba over the alpha jersey. The castelli vest took the palce of the extra zipped in layer and means I can remove it when the temp starts to increase.

Great thread, thanks for all the advice in it
  • the_rover
    Gaz777 wrote:
    Ah I didn't know that about the lining. Are yours SPD only or am I wrong about that?

The yellow/black ones you linked are another pair I've considered; if they're a spd-sl version of yours (if I'm right about yours being spd) and are fleece lined I may go for those, if I can find them in my size!

Mine are just SPD. Prob worth looking through here and seeing which one is best if it's northwave your definetly after.
    http://www.northwave.com/en/catalog/scarpe/gore/37
  • Gaz777
    Thanks; I'll see if I can find stock in my size anywhere over the weekend. My LBS has a different brand I can try on; I'll see if I can find anywhere with the northwaves.
  • 70 mile loop again with a puncture to boot, ave temp 4, swopped out the Leggenda gloves for the Estremo and they are much warmer, cooled off a tad in the Alpha fixing the puncture but all good again. Third outing today and I have washed it with some non bio tech wash, how often are you guys washing your Alpha's and what do you use?
    Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
    Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
    Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I have only used mine 4 times but soak it in with water after each ride and allow to drip dry. I see no particular need to use detergent at the moment as long as it is rinsed immediately after every ride.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I am tempted to order one, but don't really need one, but have a feeling a medium would be the best fit for me.

I am around a 37/38" chest, and 72kg - what do you guys reckon?

Could I get away with a large?

Don't have any other Castelli tops to compare with, although I did order a Gabba in Large, and it was too big.

Confusingly, the reviews on Wiggle go like this:
    this product is very light , fits tight on you. no sweating at all, keeps warm even in strong freezing wind. also looks very good . my size is M (175cm , 68kg )which perfect for me."
    Firstly size wise I went Large as my Castelli Gabba fits well in Large and I found the Alpha was a perfect close fit too (I measure 186cm, 78cm waist, 71kg and have long arms.)
    "At 6'3" 90kg XL fits well (an extra inch on the front might have been good - rides up when not on the bike)

So from reviews 1 and 2, it would seem like a large might fit me, but the second reviewer says the gabba in large fitted him fine, and I know a large gabba does not fit me.
    I also wonder if an XL fits a chap who is 90kg, how can it properly fit someone who is 19kg (over 20%) lighter?
    I am confused.

I think I would want any jacket to be fairly close fitting, and if this jacket is as good as it appears to be, I can't imagine you would have more than 2 layers (at maximum) underneath it anyway.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I think you would be a medium. Though you don't say what height you are.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Bondurant wrote:
    I think you would be a medium. Though you don't say what height you are.

That's a shame, but means I won't be buying one then right now, as Evans don't have medium in stock - with the discount code and through quidco would have worked out at around £141.

Sorry, good call - 5ft 10, but 34" inseam means I have a short upperbody - and I also have around a 33/34"waist, which is a little bit bigger than it should be - planning to get that down a bit this year with plenty of cycling.

Confusingly I wear a UK Small/International medium in Mavic jackets, and Large in Giordana, and small in Gore......

Do we still think Medium?

If it was Wiggle I would order with free returns, but to send a jacket back of that value (No local Evans to me) with adequate insurance is going to be getting on for a tenner.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I reckon you would get away with a large.

I have a 38 inch chest and am 5 ft 8 ish with a 32 inch waist and have 2 of these in large and they fit well, not skin tight but not baggy either.
  • They are meant to fit tight.
  • I reckon you would get away with a large.

I have a 38 inch chest and am 5 ft 8 ish with a 32 inch waist and have 2 of these in large and they fit well, not skin tight but not baggy either.

I am pretty much the same size as you and find the medium to be a perfect fit for me.

Just to muddy the 'what size do I need' waters a little bit :D
  • jordan_217
    I'm 5ft 11", 39" chest, 32" waist and a Capricorn, large is a perfect (for me). Fits just like a l/s jersey with a mid-weight merino base layer underneath. Borderline too tight when standing but then 'clicks' into place once I'm on the bike.

The Alpha got a good test yesterday, strong winds and -1º (wind chill), it never let me down. Even on a few sheltered hills I unzipped the outer layer and it did it's thing. Even with the outer zip open, at speed the jacket doesn't bellow; it's witchcraft!
  • How would you compare the Alpha to say the Sportful R&D JAcket? Which would you go for?
    Would you say the R&D jacket is for colder conditions than the alpha jersey and the Sportful R&D jersey is more comparable?

Both are around the same price so thinking about 1 of the 3 in black (with the R&D jersey being cheaper than both the others)?
  • cedar404
    cedar404 Posts: 176
    Hi Richie,

I have the Sportful R&D Jacket and the Alpha Jersey.

I bought the Sportful jacket as I got it at a good price, however looking back I wish I had bought the Alpha jacket instead. I wore the R&D jacket on a 2 hour ride on Sunday in very cold conditions ( Garmin regularly at minus temps ) with a biting wind. I wore underneath it a l/s base layer and a lightweight l/s jersey, the jacket performed really well and at no point did i feel cold. Having said that I think the jacket is too specific to get a lot of use from - its really only for bitterly cold and dry days - I think the Alpha jacket would have performed just as well and you get the added benefit of the Alpha jacket being a bit more rain resistant. Also the R&D jacket sleeves are a mess and poorly designed - compare this to the Alpha sleeves which are really closely fitted.

The Alpha jersey is fantastic and to my mind its been designed by someone who fully understands what a cyclist wants out of a jersey/jacket. Can't wait for the temps to creep up a bit so I can get back to wearing it.

So in summary - I would recommend you go for an Alpha option, be it the jersey or jacket.
  • Thanks cedar404, I was thinking the same but just looking for some validation. What temps do you use the alpha jersey in with say only a base layer?
    I like the R&D jersey as well but the added benefit in showers for the alpha might be a winner.