Marmotte 2015

Comments

• fuzzdog
    fuzzdog Posts: 196
    How about we turn it into a Triathlon and dump the bikes on the eastern side of the tunnel, swim the lake and then run up to Alpe d'Huez :D:D:D
  • fuzzdog
    fuzzdog wrote:
    How about they alter the start this year and have the slower riders going off first. It's probably safer for the speedier riders to overtake the slower riders on their way up the Glandon.

Can't see that working. There is hardly enough room to let everyone pass as it is. (For example, there were roadworks on the Glandon last year which took the road down to one lane and I wasted the best part of 5 minutes waiting to get through the bottleneck, with most people having to walk.) The congestion that would happen as the faster riders came up behind the slower ones would be huge, and it would be pretty dangerous too, given that the faster riders would have to try to thread their way through all the donkeys going at half their speed.

Okay. Just a suggestion. Eeyore,eeyore!!!
  • richymcp
    richymcp Posts: 26
    One of my favourite routes in the area is the one that goes north out of Bourg heads west over the Col du Morte (lovely climb through a pine forest) then does a big anti clockwise loop via Valbonnais over the Ornon back to Bourg, you could then go up the Alp. That would be a nice route although substantially less climbing so I doubt it’s an option (although a very nice route).
  • chaffordred
    chaffordred Posts: 131
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7968544

Bourg-Glandon-La Chambre-Montaimont-Col Du Chassy-Montvernier-St. Jean de Mauienne-Croix de fer-ADH

111 Miles
  • shimmipete wrote:
    How about this route I saw suggested in the commentsection on the organizers fb-page:
    http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=4814946

Glandon - Ventour - Mollard - Croix Fer - AdH. 170 km and 5000m elevation

I wonder if the 'Lacets de Montvernier' have the capacity to carry everyone without bottlenecks forming? If so, this just might be the route chosen, if only on the basis that several people seem to have suggested it, or something close to it, so does it appear to be an obvious solution.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • richymcp
    richymcp Posts: 26
    It will be the Galndon-Mollard-Croix De Fer-Alp route (or ala Paddy Ashdown I'll eat my hat!)
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    I hope not, Mollard has that tedious, not particularly hard, section through the forest with hairpin after hairpin, it feels like one of those Escher drawings where the figures go round and round and never get any higher.
  • tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    One of my favourite routes in the area is the one that goes north out of Bourg heads west over the Col du Morte (lovely climb through a pine forest) then does a big anti clockwise loop via Valbonnais over the Ornon back to Bourg, you could then go up the Alp. That would be a nice route although substantially less climbing so I doubt it’s an option (although a very nice route).

That's essentially the Vaujany which takes place on the Sunday before as part of the Trophee.
  • tomb2100
    tomb2100 Posts: 215
    Well what will happen in the Tour if the route has not reopened.........well rumour has it that once they get to the lake the pro's will jump onto team pedalo's that have been moored for them. :lol:

Team Sky's pedalo apparently features a hydrofoil #maginal gains
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    Ok, just heard about this and am a little surprised as to why the tunnel can't be completed before the 4th? If they're aiming for the tour rather than the sportive it would be very disappointing.

Moving on, excuse my ignorance but what part of the route will have to change e.g. will we miss out on any of the climbs?
  • cc78
    pechacheli wrote:
    Ok, just heard about this and am a little surprised as to why the tunnel can't be completed before the 4th? If they're aiming for the tour rather than the sportive it would be very disappointing.

Moving on, excuse my ignorance but what part of the route will have to change e.g. will we miss out on any of the climbs?

I suspect it is the case that the cracks in the tunnel roof are worse than initially thought and therefore the work is going to take longer. Obviously it's better to change the route sooner rather than later, it will also need sign-off from the police and local authorities, so if there is any doubt it is better to find an alternative rather than cross fingers and hope everything will be OK by the end of June.

There is no guarantee that the road will be ready for the Tour and ASO are looking at alternative routes for that stage.

For the Marmotte it means there will be no Telegraphe/Galibier climb. The finish on Alpe d'Huez will be unaffected, presumably the Glandon will also be used but it remains to be seen where the remaining elevation/distance will come from.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'm hoping we get the route tomorrow - they did promise it this week - if it doesn't materialise I'm going to start wondering what the problem is. Worst case if it is cancelled there will still be people booking travel and accommodation in the next couple of weeks and it'd be a shame for them to commit to a trip only to find the main reason they are going is not happening.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Worst case if it is cancelled ...
    I think there's zero chance of cancellation - there's just too much invested in it. But whether the new, let's hope one-off, route is worthy of the Marmotte name is something we're likely to debate.
    pechacheli wrote:
    I suspect it is the case that the cracks in the tunnel roof are worse than initially thought ...
    It seems to be more a matter of making a decision. The engineers have proposed bodging it up by building an inner tunnel lining. This would make the tunnel single lane, so traffic lights at either end, and big trucks couldn't get thru. And even then it would probably only be good for a couple of years. They haven't started work yet so there seems little prospect of re-opening anytime in July. I assume they have to decide whether the money would be better spent on a long-term solution, even if this leaves the road closed for longer.
  • chaffordred
    chaffordred Posts: 131
    The local residents have started a petition to ask the government to speed up the repair time on the tunnel. They wan't military assistance and the tunnel to be sorted by 1st July.

https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/A_ ... 2/?tZqrtjb
  • DeVlaeminck
    stanthomas wrote:
    Worst case if it is cancelled ...
    I think there's zero chance of cancellation - there's just too much invested in it. But whether the new, let's hope one-off, route is worthy of the Marmotte name is something we're likely to debate.

I agree that cancellation seems unlikely I'm just wondering what the delay is. I know from organising open road events over here that one ill informed policeman (or one policeman with a proper concern for health and safety depending on your point of view) can put the block on an event. They neutralise the Glandon descent - perhaps there is a chance they aren't happy with a timed descent of the CdF/Glandon back to Bourg or something like that - neutralising that would effectively make the timing of the event pretty meaningless. There aren't that many options for a route that will take 7k riders in that area especially with the Lauteret taken out so I'm just wondering what the delay is in letting us know - there must be some sticking point with the route they would like to use.
  • cc78
    there are loads of bank holidays this month in France, given the intricacies of French bureaucracy I'd say it's likely that the relevant people who need to sign the new route off have been otherwise engaged...
  • fuzzdog
  • fuzzdog
    Also this from another website.

The possibility of a floating bridge
    Perazio Bernard, vice president of the Isère Department for Roads and Bonnetain John Paul Reeve, have therefore received a delegation at the end of the demo. In a statement, the prefecture then explained that the installation of a floating bridge by the army is under review. For its part, the Department said work on the opening of a track on the left bank of Lake Chambon, to restore at least local traffic. The people of the area have also asked a boost to businesses that depend on tourism. Communication "crisis" is now considered. Isere Tourism will be in part responsible.

Who knows, maybe the delay in announcing a route is because they are waiting to see what happens here. If they get one of these sorted it could be back on . Maybe? Don't hold your breath.
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    cc78 wrote:
    pechacheli wrote:

I suspect it is the case that the cracks in the tunnel roof are worse than initially thought and therefore the work is going to take longer. Obviously it's better to change the route sooner rather than later, it will also need sign-off from the police and local authorities, so if there is any doubt it is better to find an alternative rather than cross fingers and hope everything will be OK by the end of June.

There is no guarantee that the road will be ready for the Tour and ASO are looking at alternative routes for that stage.

For the Marmotte it means there will be no Telegraphe/Galibier climb. The finish on Alpe d'Huez will be unaffected, presumably the Glandon will also be used but it remains to be seen where the remaining elevation/distance will come from.

Crikey, that is a major exclusion from the route! The Galibier was the one I was looking forward to in a nice/sick way!

Well I hope they update us soon so at least we can get a feel for what's to come (even though it will make no difference to me in the slightest having never done it before)!
  • fuzzdog
    Yes. Me too.
    The Galibier is the most iconic tour mountain in my book. Along with the Tourmalet. I've wanted to do the Marmotte for ages. I did it last year. Trained like crazy in the little time I have and ended up only getting as far as Valloire after a series of technical probs before I was overtaken by the broom wagon while I was fixing them at my first pit stop. I was told I couldn't then continue. I wish in retrospect I had just ignored that.
    I'm coming back for a second attempt with the intension of finishing but having seen all those amazing Go Pro films on You Tube I particularly wanted to get up and over the Galibier.
    The sort of sacrifice you have to make in terms of money but especially in time for training is not something I can really take on for a third year it's pretty selfish when you have family stuff going on. So I am like you so disappointed not to be riding the full Marmotte route.
    But hey. I kind of think that if we are all in the same boat then it's still the Marmotte even if it's not the same as the classic route.
  • DeVlaeminck
    A group of us plan to ride the Galibier from Bourg early in the week if you fancy it as quite a few of our group haven't done it either, I know it's a full day ride on a par with the event itself but we plan doing it at club run pace with a couple of cafe stops, give us a shout closer to the week if you do. Will also be doing the Madeleine, Ornon and a few other long rides, the change of route means I'm going to enjoy the week rather than save my legs for Saturday.
  • fuzzdog
    Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it. Although I'm not sure I'm up to riding double distance. I will let you know.
    Cheers.
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    Still no announcements!!
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Announcement on the Sport Communication website now, basically saying that if the road is impassable they will re-route over some of the area's other climbs and still finish up AdH.

Asks for patience and the full route will be revealed....
  • timotie0612
    timotie0612 Posts: 13
    This is the same message that has been on their website for a couple of weeks now. I think what is clear is that the Telegraphe and Galibier will definitely be off the agenda for this year. Big dissapointment as La Marmotte wont be La Marmotte unless it follows this route, but not a lot we can do other than say the event this year will be unique.......unless of course you're also doing this years Etape as the route will almost certainly be the Glandon, col du Chaussy, crox De fer, Alpe D'Huez. Still a sufferfest even with out Galibier!!
  • DeVlaeminck
    OK while we wait for sportnoncommunication what rides would people recommend in the area?

I've stayed there 4 times before so have done most of the localish rides for me I was hoping to get further afield and do the Izoard but that now looks difficult. I'll probably ride out and do the Madeleine for a long one as not done that before.

Anything else worth doing ? What would people recommend as a long loop over the Ornon heading towards Grenoble the cycling Oisan website suggests two possibles? Are there any other good routes back towards Grenoble, I have a vague memory that there is a road from there that was once considered a classic Tour route but can't remember exactly what.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335

Anything else worth doing ? What would people recommend as a long loop over the Ornon heading towards Grenoble the cycling Oisan website suggests two possibles? Are there any other good routes back towards Grenoble, I have a vague memory that there is a road from there that was once considered a classic Tour route but can't remember exactly what.

I heard good things about the Col de la Morte which is a possible route when we're out there in 3 weeks. Not tried it myself yet though, found this route

http://www.mapmyride.com/fr/vaulnaveys- ... e-21911442
  • cc78
    The Dauphine has a story tonight that the tunnel is going to have to be demolished before it is rebuilt!

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/ ... du-chambon

So the Tour stage later in July is going to be moved as well. Nothing in the article about the new route for the Marmotte, sadly.

Total nightmare for the residents in the area.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    cc78 wrote:
    The Dauphine has a story tonight that the tunnel is going to have to be demolished before it is rebuilt!

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/ ... du-chambon
    Reading that I guess they mean that they aren't just going to patch what's there, but remove stuff and rebuild the vaulting from scratch where it's been damaged - a slightly different implication from that of the headline.

Whatever, no doubt a major job, and very disruptive for the local communities. When mountains start to fall down it makes the UK's road engineering problems look tame.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Has anyone got any experience of this boat that is meant to provide cyclist and pedestrian access via the lake ? It'd be really useful for our group if that is the case as most of them haven't been out there before and want to do the Galibier.