Marmotte 2015

Comments

• pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    +two
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Just like to say thank you for putting that together. Very informative and gives a real insight on what to expect. Cheers.

ah thanks a lot guys, I will just say that I hesitated to post a link here.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    We cycled some of the Marmotte route yesterday, missed out the Mollard due to time (and legs, after 2 days of rides in the region), and the Alpe as we were staying in Ornon which is a 10k climb itself. A few thoughts on the route.

The Glandon is a long climb with a couple of false summits, and the bit where you think you have a lot left to do but it's the Croix de Fer not the Glandon you're looking at.
    The Glandon descent hasn't changed and is still very technical, especially with the large numbers on the Marmotte so dragging the brakes can be almost unavoidable, best keep the tyre pressures under 100 for that.
    The Lacets are close to the Glandon descent finish and not particularly steep or high, but very scenic and a great addition.
    Like I said we didn't do the Mollard but it's supposed to get very hot in the afternoons (like the telegraphe) and the hairpins are relatively shallow.
    The Croix de Fer is a hellishly long climb, which, like the Galibier, has it's steepest part at the top. The road surface isn't particularly smooth either and it's relatively narrow but the field should be thinned out by then. Thankfully it has KM markers (unlike the Glandon ascent) so you know how long to go and what gradient is coming up.
    The Glandon descent is great fun with decent visibility and good road surface so should be a chance to relax the legs (though maybe not the hands, arms and shoulders) before the ascent of the Alpe.

Good luck to all that are doing it, and hope you have a great day in the saddle.
  • davidof
    We cycled some of the Marmotte route yesterday

Good stuff. It is quite hot at the moment and looks set to continue like that through to the Marmotte, unlike last year. I'm planning on doing the Galib' tomorrow (Tues). Will report back how I get on with the "river boats".
    Instagramme
  • fuzzdog
    fuzzdog Posts: 196
    A slight change of tack but can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to upload details of cycling insurance for my entry. I have done the doc's certificate but last year I did it with an organised group who requested my insurance details. I have them but I am not aware of anywhere on the entry where they ask for that.
    Do you need them when you collect your number etc?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    No so long as your entry is complete (which should happen when you upload your medical certificate) that's all you need - print out the letter off the website just in case and I think you might need ID - not sure - take some anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fuzzdog
    great. Thanks very much.
  • pechacheli
    A slight change of tack but can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to upload details of cycling insurance for my entry. I have done the doc's certificate but last year I did it with an organised group who requested my insurance details. I have them but I am not aware of anywhere on the entry where they ask for that.
    Do you need them when you collect your number etc?

Who did you get your insurance through if you don't mind me asking?
  • davidof
    Had confirmation today that the boat is now only for people living in the area and won't take anyone else.

I was at the Chambon today to find out what the situation is for cycling between Bourg d'Oisans and the Col du Lauteret. Now obviously the situation is extremely fluid and can change each day. However my general advice is don't do it unless you are prepared to be stranded on the wrong side of the lake or want to risk not being allowed on the boat. If you do try it allow at least an hour for the crossing - waiting for the boat (they were running 1 an hour after 9am today)

There is one "larger" boat on the lake and it cannot take bikes for safety reasons. That is the official situation. The boat is equipped for foot passengers and bikes block the only exit if there is a problem. This seems to be more or less enforced. If you arrive from BdO the harbour master won't let bikes on the boat, if you are descending from la Grave there seemed to be some tolerance this morning. That said I overheard a hotel from la Grave seemingly arranging for 4 cyclists to be transported so there may be exceptions or special services being run.

At the moment the service is supposed to be restricted to locals with essential business. This is due to the risk of landslide into the lake.

The boat service was stopped at 11am today and will not resume tomorrow due to the landslide risk. The tunnel works had to be interrupted as well after rocks fell on the building site. This has left a lot of people stranded today, some will sleep at Mont de Lans tonight, some took the Cuculet track but it is a long walk.

There is still a lot of traffic still on the road from Bourg d'Oisans to les Deux Alpes. On the other side of the lake it is dead before la Grave - like zombieland. Apart from one or two tourists following their GPS. :lol:

I spoke to a local official who tells me work on the new road on the left bank of the lake has started, it will follow an existing track then zig-zag up to le Cuculet. Work will cost between 5 and 12 million. It will be a single track road with passing places for local traffic. The aim is to finish by November because there will be no more boat service in the winter for safety reasons.

Officially the tunnel will reopen on the 23rd July. Unofficially there are fears that the route may no longer be viable.
    Instagramme
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    More here

http://www.dici.fr/actu/2015/06/23/rd-1091-travaux-et-navettes-suspendus-le-tunnel-du-chambon-de-plus-en-plus-menace-610406

It's all looking a bit grim. Pretty sure those cyclists would have been staying at my friends hotel and thus classed as temporary La Grave residents. And they need that boat for their cycling clients who are staying there, if the boat service stops they (the hotel) is royally fecked, so hence I'm sure they have an arrangement in place.

I'm now not out there till next Monday and will make some phone calls before I contemplate what to do.

And this just posted on my friends FaceBook
    Crazy things are happening to our little hometown La Grave. La Grave is a dead end as the road is closed from Grenoble since April because of an unstable mountain side pressing a tunnel that is about to collapse by the Chambon damm. No passing by tourism and complications to get here means a big deal to this little community and quite a catastrophy for the businesses around. No clear info on what and how the problem can be solved does not help people around here. Only local media seem to take interest in this highly important issue and high up in Paris not much seems to be done. Our little family are lucky to be flexible in our jobs etc but I feel with all our friends and the whole La Grave - Villar community who are struggling big time to be able to stay in our little paradise we have chosen to live in.
    That said it is still a fantastic place to visit. It's still possible to get here!! Galibier, Frejus, Briancon etc.... Come see us! Air is purer than ever..
  • davidof
    Yes it is a disaster for the Haute Romanche valley but I guess not that important in the global scheme of things.

It could well have been your friends hotel arranging for passages. The boat is far from an ideal solution as current events show.
    Instagramme
  • Officially the tunnel will reopen on the 23rd July. Unofficially there are fears that the route may no longer be viable.

Here is a picture of the extent of section of the mountain that is accelerating into the lake. If it is now moving at 10 cm per day or more, then I am surprised the area hasn't been evacuated!

tunnel-Chambon-Zone-de-desordre.jpg
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • A picture of the latest rockfall in the tunnel. The Conseil départemental de l’Isère are now saying that a landslide of 250,000 tonnes of rock is now a virtual certainty in the short to medium term.

photo-archives-le-dl-marc-greiner.jpg
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • gavinbay
    Well it's not really a mountain if you look closely at the geography is it ?

All along that road, and as an example in the greyed out sector the road runs along what has slipped in the past, hence there are two spots after the tunnel where landslides still occur and further up the road they have constructed some serious revetments to stop any slides coming over the road.

So simple solution, blow the feck out of the side above the tunnel (red sector) and excavate the road with a wee bit of work to the sides similar to the revetments further up the road.

The resulting slide debris will fall down into the lake (man made) so no major issue 8)

tunnel_sorted.gif
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,922
    A picture of the latest rockfall in the tunnel. The Conseil départemental de l’Isère are now saying that a landslide of 250,000 tonnes of rock is now a virtual certainty in the short to medium term.
    I'm not sure I'd want to be standing in the tunnel at the moment. A hard hat wouldn't make much difference if that lot went...
  • pechacheli
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will cover the Marmotte including cover for my bike for up to the value of £4k?
  • briantrumpet
    It's certainly not going to be resolved early or easily. More video here: http://api.dmcloud.net/player/pubpage/4f3d114d94a6f66945000325/5587bc6094739952cac75d78/55171ae761b041d7b5b6abd01649ce23#from=embediframe

This looks like it's be a good place to keep up-to-date with developments: http://www.lemedia05.com/tag/tunnel-du-chambon/ - and the latest tunnel photo:

tunnel-chambon-voute-demolie-isere.jpg
  • fuzzdog
    Who did you get your insurance through if you don't mind me asking?[/quote]

Hello
    it was -Sports cover direct.com :D
  • davidof
    Galibier yesterday

IMG_20150624_112116.JPG

The descent from the col to Plan Lachat was in freezing fog, not very pleasant. It then turned to just freezing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/331831546
    Instagramme
  • gavinbay
    And this is what it's like in the winter :D

You can make out the road to the left of my left shoulder center of image
    galibier2912.jpg

galibiera.jpg
  • briantrumpet
    So simple solution, blow the feck out of the side above the tunnel (red sector) and excavate the road with a wee bit of work to the sides similar to the revetments further up the road.

The resulting slide debris will fall down into the lake (man made) so no major issue 8)
    Looks like they're thinking about the explosive solution, but ruling it out while everything's still on the slide: http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2015/06/24/quand-la-montagne-tombera-t-elle-et-comment
  • pechacheli
    Does anyone know a good reliable weather website for the area? I have found two but they have very different forecasts. I appreciate the weather can be changeable so no forecast will be that accurate.
  • gavinbay
    Does anyone know a good reliable weather website for the area? I have found two but they have very different forecasts. I appreciate the weather can be changeable so no forecast will be that accurate.

All forecast models can never predict the local affects - can be chucking it down one side of the valley and sunshine the other.

Last summer was crazy, wettest on record and forecast models were dire.

Anyway this is the one I use when out there
    http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances/1900/la_salle_les_alpes.htm
  • pechacheli

All forecast models can never predict the local affects - can be chucking it down one side of the valley and sunshine the other.

Last summer was crazy, wettest on record and forecast models were dire.

Anyway this is the one I use when out there
    http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances/1900/la_salle_les_alpes.htm

Thanks. I guessed this might be case. At the moment one forecast says rain on the Friday and Saturday whilst another says showers on Friday and Hot Sunshine on the Saturday.

I guess its going to be a case of dressing for all occasions!
  • gavinbay
    For really long rides now in the mountains I'm going to be using a back pack as you just can't be too sure.

Few years back I ended up almost suffering from hyperthermia at 2200m when the weather closed in.
  • davidof
    Rule #5
    Instagramme
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good luck to those riding. Will be in Kingston Wheelers kit, and probably on a black Canyon.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229

I did the Marmotte last year and the week leading up to it all the weather forecasts I could find for the area were predicting rain and cool conditions on the day. It was quite cool here in the UK as well so no real chance (or need so I thought) to acclimate for the event leading up to it.

We travelled out to the area a couple of days before the event and it was quite overcast and cool but not raining but the weather reports were still forecasting rain for the day. On the day the early start was overcast and then the temperature just soared to over 30 degrees C in the afternoon and I climbed l'Alpe d'Huez in the late afternoon and saw a temperature gauge reading 36 degrees C.
  • pechacheli
    I think it's going to be brutal irrespective of the weather! But fun nonetheless:)