New winter commuter.

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    On the other hand, is toe overlap an issue? Large *might* give you more clearance.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Cheers guys - so basically as long as toe overlap isn't an issue then go small - got it! I'm hoping I fit the medium as I've seen one a bit cheaper online :-)
  • The 2015 Pinnacles have triple butted frames compared to double on the 2014s.

Have you got the chance to try the 2015 Arkose Two, which has "proper" (not hybrid) hydraulic brakes? Might give you a chance to compare the stopping power compared to the BB7 cable disc brakes on the 2014 Arkose Three, with the trade-off of less gears, albeit the Arkose Two range of gearing is pretty huge (38T chainring with 11-36T cassette).

Size wize, check for toe overlap and be sure to test various positions on the drop bars for comfort.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daddy0
    The 2015 Pinnacles have triple butted frames compared to double on the 2014s.

Have you got the chance to try the 2015 Arkose Two, which has "proper" (not hybrid) hydraulic brakes? Might give you a chance to compare the stopping power compared to the BB7 cable disc brakes on the 2014 Arkose Three, with the trade-off of less gears, albeit the Arkose Two range of gearing is pretty huge (38T chainring with 11-36T cassette).

Size wize, check for toe overlap and be sure to test various positions on the drop bars for comfort.

They didn't have any 2015 models in store. Would the triple butted frame make much of a difference? TBH, I really liked the look of the 2014 Arkose 3 frame, looks really well made (and much better than the Pyrolite) - it feels like a tank.

Because of the single chainring the 2015 Arkose 2 is is less of a road bike so not for me - I'm really after a road bike with disc brakes for commuting, so not really considering the 2.

I would love hydraulic brakes, but my lack of disposable income means I have to make compromises. I've read that BB7s are not too bad, so I thought that I could live with them. Am I mistaken?

BTW whatever I get I'm going to put some 25mm slicks (GP 4 seasons prolly) and guards on it straight away. There seems to be some confusion about the front fork fender mounts on the Arkose 3 - anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I don't know how much difference triple butting makes, but when I tried an Arkose I didn't like it. Not sure what it was, it just felt dead. The heavier Croix de Fer felt much more lively to ride.
    Ride it and see how you get on with it.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I think it looks the dog's danglies, especially when mucky.
    IMG_0666.jpg
    That was after Saturday's nonsense. It looks comparatively dull with mudguards and road tyres on.

Plus one on getting them dirty, keeps the brakes biting. Often my 'road' bike turns up dirtier that all the CXs and MTBs it hangs out with it the shed at work, them should be ashamed of them selves!

I've had a Parabox on since April and it's been flawless how are you getting on with yours?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daddy0
    So I went back and tried the Arkose 3 again. Front end is too short - the shop had fitted toeclips which rubbed on the tyre. And the large feels too large. Back to the drawing board - thinking I will just ride my hybrid through winter, save my money and get a nice road bike next year instead.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I think it looks the dog's danglies, especially when mucky.
    IMG_0666.jpg
    That was after Saturday's nonsense. It looks comparatively dull with mudguards and road tyres on.

It was fascinating following your progress on the London to Brighton through the rougher sections - seeing the picture of the bike here joined the dots, I was following you on the Trek Fuel FS!

Edited to add: It further enhanced my desire for a CX bike too! Though not for L2B offroad ....

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • After almost settling for a canyon (hydraulic disc brakes, but few things I weren't so happy with) I had another look at the Rose bikes website the other day.

2015 cx bikes are out...

For £1370 you get:

- Full Ultegra
    - Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
    - Mudguard mounts
    - A weight of approx 8.1/8.2kg if you stick road tyres on.

I'm just waiting for the configurator stuff to come online and I think I'll be pressing the button...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    After almost settling for a canyon (hydraulic disc brakes, but few things I weren't so happy with) I had another look at the Rose bikes website the other day.

2015 cx bikes are out...

For £1370 you get:

- Full Ultegra
    - Mudguard mounts

I'm just waiting for the configurator stuff to come online and I think I'll be pressing the button...
    That's ridiculous!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    After almost settling for a canyon (hydraulic disc brakes, but few things I weren't so happy with) I had another look at the Rose bikes website the other day.

2015 cx bikes are out...

For £1370 you get:

- Full Ultegra
    - Mudguard mounts

That looks like pretty great value. Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Canyon - the specs look pretty similar
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

2015 cx bikes are out...

For £1370 you get:

- Full Ultegra
    - Mudguard mounts

Looks like I'm joining you.

Wiggle have just stripped the brakes off the Plug and sent them back to Sram for exchange under warranty and they don't have an ETA for replacements.

Sizing on the Rose looks weird. I think I'm going to be a 58 as I want a 560mm top tube and a 165mm head tube. Feels unnatural ordering a 58.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    It was fascinating following your progress on the London to Brighton through the rougher sections - seeing the picture of the bike here joined the dots, I was following you on the Trek Fuel FS!

Edited to add: It further enhanced my desire for a CX bike too! Though not for L2B offroad ....

- Jon
    Aah, hello. Yes, my comment on it was that it was a bit better for most of the ride whilst an MTB is a lot better for bits of it. Next year I'll be doing it on a hardtail 29er. CX bikes are great though.
  • veronese68
    I've had a Parabox on since April and it's been flawless how are you getting on with yours?
    Ha d a bit of a mare getting it set up, that was more because I bought an ex-demo unit and it had been removed by a gorilla so damaged fasteners, missing bits and a leaking hose. Also my steerer was too short so I had to get a shallower top cap. Then I had a cable slip, my fault entirely, so the lever took some paint off the head tube. It does run very close to the head tube anyway.
    But, the brakes feel great. Overall very pleased with it.
  • DrLex
    I, too, may be joining that queue. Prefer the White or black to the Canyon green.
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    Wiggle have just stripped the brakes off the Plug and sent them back to Sram for exchange under warranty and they don't have an ETA for replacements.
    :shock: Shouldn't that have been sorted earlier? That's bloody irritating.
    I noticed an add on the home page saying they'll only sell something if it's "up to scratch". Maybe they sell it anyway but won't despatch unless it's up to scratch.
    Well, who do we blame?
  • asprilla
    Just waiting for wiggle to process my refund and then I'll press go.

I'll need to swap out the crankset or rings but I can to that after market.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I noticed an add on the home page saying they'll only sell something if it's "up to scratch". Maybe they sell it anyway but won't despatch unless it's up to scratch.
    Well, who do we blame?

Very irritating, especially as the Rose bikes were fully configurable when I ordered the plug and that doesn't appear to be the case any more.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • dhope wrote:

2015 cx bikes are out...

For £1370 you get:

- Full Ultegra
    - Mudguard mounts

That looks like pretty great value. Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Canyon - the specs look pretty similar

To be honest I wasn't so keen on the green colour, although the specs including chainset/tyres etc and the fact it came with mudguards would've made it perfect. I then emailed them about the black/red one, asking if I could have it in the same configuration as the green one - replacing a 46 chainring with a 52, using gp4000 tyres instead of the cx ones, changing the cassette and adding mudguards.

They emailed back to say no, they cant do that (even though the help section of the website says they can):

"Every autumn we decide which models and with which range of equipment we are going to offer in the coming season. It is then decided how many units of each model are to be produced. We then order the appropriate number of components from the relevant manufacturer. The resulting price advantages are then passed on directly to our customers. It is therefore not possible to deviate from the standard models."

The above is sort of fair enough...and I could live with a 46/36 chainset as I currently have it on my charge...but they wont even swop out the tyres? or add mudguards? all the things I requested are availble to buy on their web shop so is it so much hassle to use them instead? So anyway getting it to the spec I would want would be another chunk of money on top of an already overloaded budget :(

Also they said that the mudguards are made specifically for that model, and I'm not totally sold on that as there's no guarantee they'll still be made in a couple of years if the ones I have need replacing.

And then I saw the Rose...
  • DrLex wrote:
    I, too, may be joining that queue. Prefer the White or black to the Canyon green.

Still not decided on the colour...95% sure it'll be white though as including the BSO and hybrid I've had 4 black bikes in a row :)

And the white looks nice.

But so does the black.

But it'll be covered in crap all winter.

But I'll wipe it down after it rains regardless of colour anyway.

But that'll get on my t*ts.

But it doesn't rain for much of the year.

But it will for the few few months of use.

Meh!!!!
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:

2015 cx bikes are out...

For £1370 you get:

- Full Ultegra
    - Mudguard mounts

To be honest I wasn't so keen on the green colour, although the specs including chainset/tyres etc and the fact it came with mudguards would've made it perfect. I then emailed them about the black/red one, asking if I could have it in the same configuration as the green one - replacing a 46 chainring with a 52, using gp4000 tyres instead of the cx ones, changing the cassette and adding mudguards.

They emailed back to say no, they cant do that (even though the help section of the website says they can):

"Every autumn we decide which models and with which range of equipment we are going to offer in the coming season. It is then decided how many units of each model are to be produced. We then order the appropriate number of components from the relevant manufacturer. The resulting price advantages are then passed on directly to our customers. It is therefore not possible to deviate from the standard models."

The above is sort of fair enough...and I could live with a 46/36 chainset as I currently have it on my charge...but they wont even swop out the tyres? or add mudguards? all the things I requested are availble to buy on their web shop so is it so much hassle to use them instead? So anyway getting it to the spec I would want would be another chunk of money on top of an already overloaded budget :(

Also they said that the mudguards are made specifically for that model, and I'm not totally sold on that as there's no guarantee they'll still be made in a couple of years if the ones I have need replacing.

And then I saw the Rose...
    Fair enough, I'd go for the Rose if I hadn't already pulled the trigger on the green machine. Last year's paint job looks better than this year but oh well. It's the stealth carbon ones that I really hanker after.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Just waiting for wiggle to process my refund and then I'll press go.

I'll need to swap out the crankset or rings but I can to that after market.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Well, who do we blame?

Very irritating, especially as the Rose bikes were fully configurable when I ordered the plug and that doesn't appear to be the case any more.

I'm assuming that the configuration options will come online soon - they haven't confirmed the delivery estimates yet either so I think they just rushed it out onto the website possibly for Eurobike as I know they had a fair few bikes there.

Also when I emailed them about the 2014 models they were happy to change both the wheels and tyres for me (which weren't configurable on the bike page) so they do seem keen to help you get exactly what you want, which I was impressed by. They do take a couple of days to reply to your emails though.
  • asprilla
    Sizing on the Canyon is weirding me out.

I want a 59; size 60 tt with size 58 ht.

Why is nothing simple?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:

Why is nothing simple?

That reminds me I need to buy a tape measure from the pound shop, assuming I need a 56 but not measured anything yet
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Why is nothing simple?

That reminds me I need to buy a tape measure from the pound shop, assuming I need a 56 but not measured anything yet

My bad, it's not the Canyon that's an odd shape, it's the Rose that's very tall and had a very short tt. Anyone would think it was designed for light off roading rather than commuting........

Edit: Looks like I'm going for a Canyon Infinite 9.0 after looking at the relative geometries. Week 46 is the alleged dispatch at the moment (Mid Nov) and so I'm kicking myself for not ordering two weeks ago.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DrLex
    9.0 or 9.0S?
    Think by the time that I've seen reviews & experiences, the delivery time will be out to March/April and the need for such a bike will be somewhat diminished.
  • dhope
    Asprilla wrote:
    Edit: Looks like I'm going for a Canyon Infinite 9.0 after looking at the relative geometries. Week 46 is the alleged dispatch at the moment (Mid Nov) and so I'm kicking myself for not ordering two weeks ago.
    Don't kick yourself too hard, I got my confirmation through on 29th August - estimate is week 45. I ordered it the morning it was available on their site.
    DrLex wrote:
    9.0 or 9.0S?
    Think by the time that I've seen reviews & experiences, the delivery time will be out to March/April and the need for such a bike will be somewhat diminished.
    Just keep an eye on the availability and order it when it's estimated for week 47/48. Then if Asprilla and I hate ours you can still cancel before it ships.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    DrLex wrote:
    9.0 or 9.0S?

I'm looking at the 9.0. I can't do green bikes for stupid superstitious reasons.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DrLex
    Asprilla wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    9.0 or 9.0S?

I'm looking at the 9.0. I can't do green bikes for stupid superstitious reasons.

You & my cousin would get on well; he refused to allow anyone to order a company vehicle in green, although it was a mixture both of his ludicrous superstition and the more demonstrable effect on the trade-in values.
  • asprilla
    It's ridiculous. However, every car crash involving my family has involved them driving a green car, including me.

I don't drive green cars now, and I'm not taking the risk with a bike.

It's stupid and, as every right minded person knows, correlation doesn't equal causation, but I'm not taking the risk.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    It's ridiculous. However, every car crash involving my family has involved them driving a green car, including me.

I don't drive green cars now, and I'm not taking the risk with a bike.

It's stupid and, as every right minded person knows, correlation doesn't equal causation, but I'm not taking the risk.

Sounds reasonable to me, I'm putting it off but going to have to find a home for the SS bike it's absolutely in tip top fettle but I've riden it 30miles this year if that. Frankly I just don't trust it anymore. It's the bike I fell off late last year.