Eneco Tour 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    De Vreese of Wanty showing how to attack. Head down, big ring, dont look round. 750m and still clear.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Damn he has blown big time.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    G V A
    Woooooo, first win of the year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    GVA needs a win.
    There you are

Dumoulin 2nd, riding away from Gilbert and Boom in an uphill cobbled sprint....
  • FJS
    Dumoulin takes the GC lead through bonifications
  • FJS
    Pozzato 9th, just beating Gilbert. Haven't seen him for a while
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    2 big stages to come so everyone riding a bit conservatively. Was Muur-boy on the wall?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    1 Dumoulin
    2 Boom 2"
    3 Quinziato 11"
    4 Grivko 14"
    5 Thomas 21"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172
    G V A
    His first win at World Tour level for six years. Only his second ever.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    He could do well tomorrow too, think he is one of the best climbers in the competition. Maybe Vanendert, G and Mollema too.
  • Just home with a few observations

Gilbert and Boonen both looking in shape ahead of the worlds.

Thomas looked good first time up the Muur but I couldn't see him 2nd time. EBH looked like a fat stagiere who couldn't be bothered, Stannard clearly not fit yet, hanging off the back 1st time up and lost 15 minutes by the end.

Did Bouhanni pack? He stopped and asked some guy in a cafe how to get back to the buses just before they turned onto the Muur for the 2nd time. If he'd have ridden over it he'd have got there much quicker. Lightweight.

Hearty jeers to the DS of Movistar and Alan Peiper in the Garmin car, they took a wrong turn after the 2nd climb of the Muur and tried to rejoin the race through a road closure. Then abused the police woman manning it so much she eventually let them through. Cheers to her for giving the international signal for "W*nker" to both of them though.

Saw Thomas De Gendt on the canal path this morning. Can he get a ride at any race at all?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    G V A
    His first win at World Tour level for six years. Only his second ever.

Ha crazy. He must be overjoyed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    Not sure Boonen is looking in great shape yet.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Not sure Boonen is looking in great shape yet.

Looked very comfortable about 10 places back in the group. Not exerting himself at all. Plus QS had a man up the road at that point so no need for any heroics.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    It was said that he had earmarked today's stage as a possible win. I think he's gone now, his best days are way behind him.

He was the designated sprinter for this race too, not even tried to be part of it.
  • Bouhanni did pack, just seen on CN. Strange one as he was in the main bunch when he just pulled over and stopped and started asking directions to the bus.

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    Boonen did get dropped from the main group when the main favourites started their shenanigans on the Bosberg though.
    Gilbert had a useful attack on one of the earlier climbs of De Muur, but 10th on this uphill sprint is still a bit off peak fitness. Tomorrow finish in his home village.
    GC looks very good for Dumoulin now, although you feel BMC should be able to do something with Quinziato, GVA and Gilbert all well placed. Belkin has Boom and Vanmarcke, but both perhaps better suited to today's stayge than tomorrow's
  • FJS
    Stannard walks up De Muur after chain broke http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/v_ ... st=7.39499
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Just seen the last 10km. What a great win by GVA, I cannot believe that's his first WT win for 6 years.

Brilliant ride by Dumoulin as well. I had thought Gilbert was favourite given the parcours of the final two stages but maybe not.
  • FJS
    Finish on the Redoute today, in Gilbert's home village, with a very hilly finish loop

116 km to go, with a tasty group away, over 6 minutes, including Boonen, Moser, Dowsett, Haas and Nuyens

Cancellara DNS
  • FJS wrote:
    Stannard walks up De Muur after chain broke http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/v_ ... st=7.39499

That's a sad sight - Brailsford must be crying into his manual of marginal gains
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Watching this on Eurosport now and it would appear that riders keep getting lost and going the wrong way. Thing is, THIS IS NORMAL IN BELGIUM. As are the God-awful road surfaces and the poor summer weather. A little under 30km to go and it's shaping up for a good finish. Boonen currently in a chasing group trying to catch Nathan Haas. BMC on the nose of the bunch.

Word is, CHENG JI is at home with his feet up.......
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • FJS
    6 km to go, Dumoulin attack. Boom, GVA, Vanendert follow
  • FJS
    Boom attacks on the descent with 5 km to go. He only needs 2 seconds
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Boom goes BOOM!!! :)
  • FJS
    Tim Wellens still leading solo. He only needs 49 seconds on GC
  • FJS
    Nobody from Giant left. Dumoulin doing all the chasing on his own, with a big group in his wheel, plenty of BMCs. That will cost him on the Redoute
  • FJS
    Wellens wins the stage. And GC leader? Or Boom? Who just holds off Dumoulin's group? Chaos

1. Wellens
    2. Boom
    3. GVA
    4. Dumoulin
  • FJS
    Yes, Wellens takes the GC lead
  • FJS
    pottssteve wrote:
    Watching this on Eurosport now and it would appear that riders keep getting lost and going the wrong way. Thing is, THIS IS NORMAL IN BELGIUM. As are the God-awful road surfaces and the poor summer weather. A little under 30km to go and it's shaping up for a good finish. Boonen currently in a chasing group trying to catch Nathan Haas. BMC on the nose of the bunch.

Word is, CHENG JI is at home with his feet up.......
    http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/v_ ... vergissing