Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic 1.HC **Spoiler Thread**

123457»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    No, not a shame at all. They livened up the race and hence my viewing pleasure.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    As was my boy Alaphilippe:
    When does he get upgraded to the coveted "My Man" status?
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Getting back to the race, according to Gilbert (interview Cycling Podcast), they were doing 60ks when Blythe jumped, no one was going to get him after that.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    adr82 wrote:
    As was my boy Alaphilippe:
    When does he get upgraded to the coveted "My Man" status?

Also learned from the podcast that Alaphilippe's father is a conductor (orchestra, not bus).
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Pross wrote:
    To be fair he did f**k it up! he didn't turn the pedals fast enough :D

It's a sign how far his career has fallen to be making excuses for not winning a race of this standing.

Just fyi, Gilbert is 14th in the rankings right now. 14. Go an have a look at his palmares 2014. Not 2011 wonder year but still pretty good and we haven't even done Lombardia, the Worlds, the Vuelta let alone finished Eneco - would be very surprised if he doesn't move up after those.

I fully expect a Gilbert stage win in the vuelta and a high placing in the worlds, what a lot of you hadn't realised or overlooked perhaps is that he animated the race on several occasions and was clearly just training fit, not race fit, and by the end you can tell he was spent, despite working hard and creating the final selections ( with of course a little help). Still despite having a couple of lean-ish years, a classy rider. usually has a fast ish finish but not a pure sprinter, so wouldn't have been expected to win the gallop.

Have to say am impressed by Alaphillipe as well.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Maybe lost some class in your eyes not in the eyes of 99% of the cycling fans though.

He did mess it up - I would suggest he would have got beaten anyway but 100% he messed it up. So did the others there and in the run-in. First thing I said was the other four fluffed it no matter how fast the owner of this car went.
    BlREDexIIAAWrWY.jpg

To be fair, that's nicer than your shorts
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mike6 wrote:
    Well if someone wants to share some gossip about a pro I'm all for it - as far as FFs reaction - why does it matter?
    I've no problem with gossip, but I take it with a pinch of salt.
    FFs reaction matters because it's toxic, it pollutes the board and brings down the tone. If I wanted one eyed fandom and partisan vitriol I'd be on a football board. This is cycling, we're meant to be the sophisticated sports fans.

Well said Doc. I try not to react to the more immature posts, but sometimes you just have to say something.

No you don't.

Yes I do. You might not but I do. :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    To be fair he did f**k it up! he didn't turn the pedals fast enough :D

It's a sign how far his career has fallen to be making excuses for not winning a race of this standing.

Just fyi, Gilbert is 14th in the rankings right now. 14. Go an have a look at his palmares 2014. Not 2011 wonder year but still pretty good and we haven't even done Lombardia, the Worlds, the Vuelta let alone finished Eneco - would be very surprised if he doesn't move up after those.

I fully expect a Gilbert stage win in the vuelta and a high placing in the worlds, what a lot of you hadn't realised or overlooked perhaps is that he animated the race on several occasions and was clearly just training fit, not race fit, and by the end you can tell he was spent, despite working hard and creating the final selections ( with of course a little help).

Nothing to do with him being crap in a flat sprint then?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    True, against a top ranked sprinter (Cav/ Kittel/ Greipel) sure. He can hold his own against a valverde/ Gerrans type of sprinter....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    valverde/gerrans sprinters are uphill sprinters like Gilbert...

so they'd have lost as well.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    https://audioboo.fm/boos/2388270-we-re-back-with-the-ridelondon-classic

Podcast... Plenty of chat there, and Gilbert commenting for a moment too on the finish and Blythe