Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic 1.HC **Spoiler Thread**

Comments

• Flat races (without cobbles or crosswinds) are often boring. That's all it is. You don't need a hill-fest, but some obstacles give more scope for interesting tactics to unfold.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Flat races (without cobbles or crosswinds) are often boring. That's all it is. You don't need a hill-fest, but some obstacles give more scope for interesting tactics to unfold.

Definitely. If it is likely to be a sprint I'm not going to give up my afternoon to watch it live for the action in the last 500m. A course needs obstacles of some kind to at least give the "anything can happen/must not miss" feeling.

Look at the Tour back when they had a large number of pan flat stages. The only reason to follow them was in case a GC rider crashed. There needs to be something to make it unpredictable. Having said that, I'd say the same with mountain stages. If you have a stage with four monster climbs and then 20km of valley to the base of the final climb it is very likely to be predictable and you might as well just watch the last 10km or so. A sharp descent with little or no valley adds the potential for something to happen. Although the end result depends on how the riders race it, but a cleverly designed course gives opportunities for different riders to try something.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Just on .HC races being won by Continental riders in recent times:

Langkawi (2.HC): POURSEYEDI GOLAKHOR Mirsamad (Tabriz)
    Quinghai Lake (2.HC) DAVIDENOK Ilya (Astana CT)

Langkawi (2.HC) ARREDONDO Julian (Nippo-De Rosa)
    Tour of Austria (2.HC) ZOIDL Riccardo (TEAM GOURMETFEIN SIMPLON)
    Quinghai Lake (2.HC) POURSEYEDI GOLAKHOR Mirsamad (Tabriz)

Mainly Asia Tour where the start list is much wider.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605
    Flat races (without cobbles or crosswinds) are often boring. That's all it is. You don't need a hill-fest, but some obstacles give more scope for interesting tactics to unfold.

I think the short, sharp climbs and (possibly more importantly) the narrow, twisty lanes offer sufficient obstacles but as ever it depends on the riders.

Don't get me wrong, I love it to be relocated to South Wales with some climbing but I appreciate that the London start / finish together with the sportive and the women's race are the events big selling points along with ease of access for the Continental based pro teams. It needs time to gain a proper identity and messing around with it would do more to finish the race off than any number of bunch sprint finishes.

To be honest, having been around UK cycling in the 90s when all the bigger races we had died out and there was virtually no pro cycling left I'm just happy to see a race of this stature being given full live coverage on BBC1 and attracting sponsorship from a major company. Let's be happy for what we have and make the most of it.
  • Just on .HC races being won by Continental riders in recent times:

Langkawi (2.HC): POURSEYEDI GOLAKHOR Mirsamad (Tabriz)
    Quinghai Lake (2.HC) DAVIDENOK Ilya (Astana CT)

Langkawi (2.HC) ARREDONDO Julian (Nippo-De Rosa)
    Tour of Austria (2.HC) ZOIDL Riccardo (TEAM GOURMETFEIN SIMPLON)
    Quinghai Lake (2.HC) POURSEYEDI GOLAKHOR Mirsamad (Tabriz)

Mainly Asia Tour where the start list is much wider.

Thanks for that. That's where I thought it would happen, as you say the talent pool is shallower than Europe
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited August 2014

Thanks for that. That's where I thought it would happen, as you say the talent pool is shallower than Europe

Yeah and also a slightly different rulebook. As I said in the first post of the thread, usually a .HC race in Europe can only be entered by World Tour and Pro Continental teams, as well as the national team and Continental teams of the host nation (hence why a winner of the Tour of Austria from the Continental ranks had to be racing with an Austrian team, which Zoidl was). Because this is a new event in an emerging market, the UCI are obviously keen to support it so when not enough WT/PC teams wanted to enter, the organisers were given permission to widen the entry to include anyone interested from the Continental ranks.That doesn't usually happen, and thus greatly increases the overall standard of European .HC races. In Asia, Africa, the Americas and Oceania, no such restriction applies. Therefore quite strong riders in the Continental division may have more opportunities to race at .HC level. Obviously it goes two ways and any European Continental team can ride .HC in USA or Asia if accepted / invited. La Pomme Marseille and Euskadi to name two came over from Europe to China for Tour of Qinghai Lake a few weeks back.

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... E&id=34028
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ManOfKent wrote:
    It's interesting to read comments here consistent with the view I heard a while ago from someone linked to the pro scene, that Adam Blythe is a tool (not the exact word he used). I thought maybe he was just being uncharitable.

Adam lovers make sure you read this.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    chrisday wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I'm not sure what the obsession is with some people that a race has to be hilly to make it worthwhile.

+one gazillion

Also share confusion at the concept of "only hilly counts", or that there's something wrong with races ending in sprints.

I love the way so many people are happy to forget that nearly all the hilly classics ended in bunch sprints this year

The only onw that did nt was the flattest (albeit most cobbled) one. RVV played out in alomost the exact same way as Ride London...

But, you know it's cool to say GB races are crap so I guess we ll just ignore that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    ManOfKent wrote:
    It's interesting to read comments here consistent with the view I heard a while ago from someone linked to the pro scene, that Adam Blythe is a tool (not the exact word he used). I thought maybe he was just being uncharitable.

Ah right, an Internet forum person claims an unnamed source with no other connection to Blythe than being somehow connected to the pro scene claimed Blythe was a tool.

Couldn't have been more authoritative if Moses himself had carried it down from the mountain on carved slabs of stone.

Ps I'm not an Adam lover or hater, I have no real interest in him at all. I do, however, object to the way you carve the world up into lovers and haters, and how you willingly accept the scantiest scraps of evidence that support your views with no critical eye at all, while rejecting out of hand anything that contradicts you, no matter how well argued or factually based it is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Well if someone wants to share some gossip about a pro I'm all for it - as far as FFs reaction - why does it matter?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    ManOfKent wrote:

Who the hell are 'Adam lovers'? Is this anyone who disagreed with your proclamation that he lacks talent?

I don't know him but feel his results while on WT teams weren't good enough. He may well be a complete tool, lots of good sportspeople are but that was a good win yesterday. Worked well to get into the initial break and then the smaller break, took all his turns and had enough for an impressive long sprint.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Paulie W wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Just watched it again; he started just after the 300m mark, which is quite far for a small group sprint.
    Swift reacted immediately BTW, but going round Alaphilippe and Gilbert a bit wide cost him

I just watched it again and I still see a split second delay in Swift's response - maybe he wasnt expecting Blythe to go quite so soon.
    Count how many pedal revs he did, think it was about 23 so thats close to 250m, depending on his gear, so it was almost like a standing start, not a typical leed out sprint doing 40mph then opening up at 200m, so when he jumped was always going to be difficult to catch, Swifty would have been better with a laster lead into the sprint, I was surprised he did not go for it first.
  • ddraver
    I think Swifty's mistake was to try and react to anyone/thing. In that situation, by the time they got to 4-300m he (or any of the guys in the group) had to make the move, there was never enough space left to react to someone else and then overhaul.

Whoever Blythe is he deserves credit for stopping taking the sprint by the scruff of the neck as it were...
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Lets not forget that mr date a sixth form girl didn't take one turn for about the last 5km. But then that is the fault of the others.

As an aside Gilbert tweeted a lot but didnt congratulate mr sleep with your friends missus. He did mention it being well organised despite having a radio from the 1960s :D
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

I do, however, object to the way you carve the world up into lovers and haters, and how you willingly accept the scantiest scraps of evidence that support your views with no critical eye at all, while rejecting out of hand anything that contradicts you, no matter how well argued or factually based it is.

This absolutely and accurately sums up FF when he gets daft about things. Very well put.
  • Pross
    Lets not forget that mr date a sixth form girl didn't take one turn for about the last 5km. But then that is the fault of the others.

As an aside Gilbert tweeted a lot but didnt congratulate mr sleep with your friends missus. He did mention it being well organised despite having a radio from the 1960s :D

I think you need to re watch. He took his turns up until about 1-2km out. You let yourself down with your childish name calling of riders you don't like.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Blythe did a great sprint. Not much more to say.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mfin wrote:
    Blythe did a great sprint. Not much more to say.

He won. and beat one of the most astute one day racers in the peloton. Thats all that matters.

Calling him childish names is not the actions of a mature adult. What am I saying? :oops:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Well if someone wants to share some gossip about a pro I'm all for it - as far as FFs reaction - why does it matter?
    I've no problem with gossip, but I take it with a pinch of salt.
    FFs reaction matters because it's toxic, it pollutes the board and brings down the tone. If I wanted one eyed fandom and partisan vitriol I'd be on a football board. This is cycling, we're meant to be the sophisticated sports fans.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    FFs reaction matters because it's toxic, it pollutes the board and brings down the tone. If I wanted one eyed fandom and partisan vitriol I'd be on a football board. This is cycling, we're meant to be the sophisticated sports fans.

Well said Doc. I try not to react to the more immature posts, but sometimes you just have to say something.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    awavey wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    It is if the questions was "Would you say Bradley Wiggins was awesome today Ben, or tremendous?"

IIRC it was just an unprompted roll call thanks to all of the team not as the result of a specific question, sure its on iplayer now but team Skys report seems to include the quote as well, but think Jill was asking about how much energy he'd used to get back on after the break at Wimbledon, and then he rolled on into thanking every individual teamie...bar one notably...I picked it up at the time and thought hmm interesting :lol: but Id have to watch the race again to see if it was that significant a drop.

it is funny though reading some of the actual race reports from the Guardian no less "...But it was a far from triumphant return for Wiggins, who finished some way back in a race won by a much less-celebrated British rider, Adam Blythe" ... still away to go to educate people on cycling racing
    Interesting post. Do you actually know anything about cycling?
    You really expected Wiggins to chase with Swift up front in winning break? Why on earth would he bust a gut to finnish 13th or 14th? He did his work so just trotted in s most would, he has bigger fish to fry going for the world's TT where he has to try to beat TM which is going to be a hell of a challenge.
    As for missing him out in quotes, do you think these riders are like footballers when they are interviewed with pre rehearsed answers? they ride on the track together regular as part of TP so not strangers and it was Wiggins who took up the pace in the effort to drop Vivaiani, they were trying to drop Blyth also as they knew how fast he is, but fair play he stuck in.
    I am not bothered who Blyth's past or current gf is, can't be worse than Froomey's :P
    Credit where credit is due, he did great ride.

I didnt even mention Blyths gf :?

all I was quoting was from the press reports & team reports of the race. I didnt expect Wiggo to be up there at the end, his job was to ride for Ben Swift, which he did, I wouldnt say it was a great ride, but he did his job and all that he was expected or asked for as far as I could tell

so when Swift, unprompted, starts roll calling all his team mates,yet misses a significant one out, you do think ok, was that he just forgot the former TdF winner and multi Olympic gold winning cyclist was working for him on his team, or is there slightly more to that what some might call rather blatant snub of someone who allegedly picks up on that kind of thing alot.

I dont know as I said :roll: Id have to rewatch the whole race to see if there was something obvious that we missed and as I wont be doing that, we'll just have to assume Swift just forgot in the heat of the moment
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105

I think it may be time to have a seperate thread on what could be cyclings bad boy.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    mike6 wrote:

Well said Doc. I try not to react to the more immature posts, but sometimes you just have to say something.

No you don't.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver

Gilbert lost a lot of Class and honour with his "I fukt (sic) up my sprint" tweet

No Phillipe, you got beat plain and simple, man up and admit it like a so called true champion
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    To be fair he did f**k it up! he didn't turn the pedals fast enough :D

It's a sign how far his career has fallen to be making excuses for not winning a race of this standing.
  • frenchfighter
    Maybe lost some class in your eyes not in the eyes of 99% of the cycling fans though.

He did mess it up - I would suggest he would have got beaten anyway but 100% he messed it up. So did the others there and in the run-in. First thing I said was the other four fluffed it no matter how fast the owner of this car went.
    BlREDexIIAAWrWY.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Looks like his sponsor is developing a new camouflage pattern :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:
    To be fair he did f**k it up! he didn't turn the pedals fast enough :D

It's a sign how far his career has fallen to be making excuses for not winning a race of this standing.

Just fyi, Gilbert is 14th in the rankings right now. 14. Go an have a look at his palmares 2014. Not 2011 wonder year but still pretty good and we haven't even done Lombardia, the Worlds, the Vuelta let alone finished Eneco - would be very surprised if he doesn't move up after those.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Gilbert was looking and riding great on Sunday:
    14888543072_4a31e695d1_k_zps6f45483c.jpg
    As was my boy Alaphilippe:
    14702230799_1fd9a093e0_k_zps712d44c1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,116
    Shame they could only come 3rd and 4th to a pair of losers though, eh?