Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic 1.HC **Spoiler Thread**

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    You can see the pain in the faces of the escapees... is this a race or they're just parading waiting for the flamme rouge?
    left the forum March 2023
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    mfin wrote:
    Amy Williams interviewed after the sportive saying she was looking forward to riding Box Hill as she'd heard how hard it was but that she rides round Bath where there's hills and she wanted to see how it compared.

She would have been disappointed!
    Christ I used to ride it regularly training on my summer evenings and at any time if I didn't feel fit enough to climb the harder climb of "Pebblecombe Hill". :?:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972

• The article doesn't seem to be from today so he might have withdrawn? Not sure where PCS get their info from.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I haven't seen Stannard for a while... I wonder what he's been up to? Good to see him in action today though.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I haven't seen Stannard for a while... I wonder what he's been up to? Good to see him in action today though.

He was certainly giving it some beans on the front
  • mulletmaster wrote:
    Anybody else at least mildly offended by the misuse of the word "classic" in this absolute chipper?

No. But the word 'chipper' itself is crap.

I diasgree.The word chipper is one of the best terms I've learned on this forum. Delightfully dismissive.

And this race is, by any definition, a chipper.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • I haven't seen Stannard for a while... I wonder what he's been up to? Good to see him in action today though.

Last seen lying in a ditch in Belgium! Did a few laps of Glasgow last weekend to warm himself up for this.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited August 2014
    Why do Sky see it as their duty to ride on the front the entire time a race comes to London. All a bit silly.

There seems to be less than 50 riders in the peloton. Shocking lack of talent on this easy parcours. Not sure why these teams are invited to pad oit the numbers.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Why do Sky see it as their duty to ride on the front the entire time a race comes to London. All a bit silly.

Same reason the French teams hog the breakaways in the Tour?
  • frenchfighter
    Why do Sky see it as their duty to ride on the front the entire time a race comes to London. All a bit silly.

Well the two things are not the same are they.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited August 2014

Not exactly but Sky are a British team and the race is live on terrestrial TV. Showing the jersey a is part of it.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733

did you watch earlier ? they were not at the front until last few km
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    even with the ads Ive had to switch back to Eurosport, the BBC are doing my head in with all the interviews (they are treating it like its the London marathon on a bike arent they), I know theres not much happening, so we arent missing much, but I would actually like to watch the race.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    awavey wrote:
    (they are treating it like its the London marathon on a bike arent they),

It is... at least in the eyes of the organisers
    left the forum March 2023
  • oldwelshman
    All main teams in break s think this is it, bennet will have a lead out from thwaite, Steegmens there, also Blythe so will be interesting sprint and stiff competition for Swift.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    God you really do have to be a miserable sod to fit in wit the cool kids on here don't you..?

Havent we learned that it's the riders that make the race this year, not the course? We finally have a wet and windy one day race to enjoy and we ve had splits and echelons since Richmond Park.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    C'mon Sam Bennett!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Love the swipes at Sky (so whats new) FF. Complains like a child that they get paid for nothing if they are not visible, then complains when they they are on the front??????? Make your mind up man. :roll:
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    It thought the camera bikes were much too close to the riders at the Commonwealth Games and yesterday's women's race.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Sorry Sam
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Sam Bennett & Net App take the wee wee big time - two ridiculously long sticky bottles plus a push.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,195
    Amazing how a front wheel puncture can cause problems with the rear brake :D
  • Glbert go for broke or ride for Blythe?

Blythe left BMC last year, now with NFTO.
  • frenchfighter
    Glbert go for broke or ride for Blythe?

Indeed although they were (maybe still are) close friends.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oldwelshman
    Glbert go for broke or ride for Blythe?

Indeed although they were (maybe still are) close friends.
    Hence my question. FF I see Sky tactics worked and fastest guy in the race dropped, Viviani, also Renshaw
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    ddraver wrote:
    God you really do have to be a miserable sod to fit in wit the cool kids on here don't you..?

Havent we learned that it's the riders that make the race this year, not the course? We finally have a wet and windy one day race to enjoy and we ve had splits and echelons since Richmond Park.
    You're not wrong there. Has been a decent race untill now. Few top sprinters and small teams, with a bit of added wind makes a difference. Let's hope for some action now it's all flat.

Most of the stronger riders in the break also have a good sprint. Could stay together
  • frenchfighter
    Alaphilippe go go go.
    Contador is the Greatest