The Irony Thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Dunt it make ye feel proud.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    What a bunch if thick w@nkers.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,788
    Sweden being touted by right wingers as how the UK should be.
    Sweden, which is ruled by a coalition led by the left wing Social Democrats.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 'We expect everybody in this country to obey the law': Boris Johnson

even the DM is turning against him
  • “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:
    Maybe he does not know about the Met warning of right wing terror attacks on law firms
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729

Stevo_666 said:
    Maybe he does not know about the Met warning of right wing terror attacks on law firms
    *ahead* of the speech
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    Stevo_666 said:

Serious question: would you find yourself laughing if there had been attacks on people in your profession, and members of the government seemed to be stoking the fire, despite warnings from the Met?
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Sky's new series The Chop gets the chop after one episode.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

The Johnny Depp court case to save his reputation.

So wife beater he is then.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Stevo_666 said:

Serious question: would you find yourself laughing if there had been attacks on people in your profession, and members of the government seemed to be stoking the fire, despite warnings from the Met?
    I would probably look to alter my professions reputation in the eyes of the public by altering the professions behaviours. Not many people hounding nurses, doctors or engineers is there.
  • briantrumpet
    john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I would probably look to alter my professions reputation in the eyes of the public by altering the professions behaviours. Not many people hounding nurses, doctors or engineers is there.

Are lawyers not supposed to do the best they can for their clients, within the law?

And in any case, that's an entirely different question from whether laughter at the situation of people being unhappy about attacked for doing their job is appropriate.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,682
    john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh, I see it's their fault for being lawyers. As it happens, hospital staff and paramedics get abused and assaulted on a daily basis - so is that some indication of their 'reputation' as well? What professional behaviour should they be modifying to change the public's view of them?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh, I see it's their fault for being lawyers. As it happens, hospital staff and paramedics get abused and assaulted on a daily basis - so is that some indication of their 'reputation' as well? What professional behaviour should they be modifying to change the public's view of them?

Obviously, it would be fine if a left wing government demonised professionals who minimised companies' tax bills by using their professional expertise in tax regulations... clearly those tax professionals should change their behaviour...
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited November 2020
    Travelling abroad for the purpose of assisted dying is a reasonable excuse and so anyone doing so would not be breaking the law.
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2020

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Obviously, it would be fine if a left wing government demonised professionals who minimised companies' tax bills by using their professional expertise in tax regulations... clearly those tax professionals should change their behaviour...
    I think you have a little chip on shoulder about this Brian.

Not sure what the problem is with laughing at someone writing a letter to the Guardian to prove they're not leftie? :smile:

As for being demonized by governments, well I'm used to it.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/11553057/Lunatic-politicians-are-demonising-successful-politicians-business-leader-warns.html
    https://taxation.co.uk/articles/2013-09-25-313981-one-sided-affair
    The continual stream of slightly misguided legislation to make life difficult for us around the world does keep demand and remuneration high though ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not sure what the problem is with laughing at someone writing a letter to the Guardian to prove they're not leftie? :smile:

https://telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/11553057/Lunatic-politicians-are-demonising-successful-politicians-business-leader-warns.html
    The continual stream of slightly misguided legislation to make life difficult for us around the world does keep demand and remuneration high though ;)

Legislation to keep you on your toes is slightly different from having your life threatened by the loons encouraged by loaded rhetoric. Johnson and Patel know exactly what they are doing.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Legislation to keep you on your toes is slightly different from having your life threatened by the loons encouraged by loaded rhetoric. Johnson and Patel know exactly what they are doing.
    That's a different matter. If I want to laugh at people for trying dispel rumours of lefty-ness by writing a letter to the Guardian, I'll laugh.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    edited November 2020
    “Not sure what the problem is with laughing at someone writing a letter to the Guardian to prove they're not leftie? :smile:

I think you’re mistaking a Twitter joke with reality. That’s not why they were writing.
  • Stevo_666

“Not sure what the problem is with laughing at someone writing a letter to the Guardian to prove they're not leftie? :smile:

I think you’re mistaking a Twitter joke with reality. That’s not why they were writing.

I dont really care, I just thought what was posted was amusing. That's all.
  • And that’s fair enough - was quite funny. But there’s been a tendency over the past few years to equate fiction with fact. My kids have been regurgitating some of this stuff, and I’ve had to set them straight too.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Harry Markle being upset at Royal courtiers refusing to lay at the Cenotaph on his behalf after going to great lengths to divest himself from any royal privilege, then making sure a photographer was present when he laid one at a cemetary in LA instead.
  • shortfall said:

Harry Markle being upset at Royal courtiers refusing to lay at the Cenotaph on his behalf after going to great lengths to divest himself from any royal privilege, then making sure a photographer was present when he laid one at a cemetary in LA instead.

it obviously kept him front of mind for the sort of media and their consumers who lap that sort of stuff up.

Did he walk into a veterans cemetery on his own or was it part of a ceremony. if the former do tell me that he dressed and acted as if he was at the Cenotaph and was he on GMT?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    edited November 2020
    shortfall said:

In fairness Harry has done more for military vets than anyone here.

He seems to be one of the few people who genuinely cares about people *after* they hang up their uniform.

If the royals do one thing well it is respecting what the armed services do without turning it into some horrendous justification for militarism or general war mongery.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I found the refusal to be a bit petty tbh.

It's not only royals who lay wreaths at the cenotaph, so why not let him as an ex-serviceman?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I guess it could be seen as favouritism?

Probably a lose lose situation.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,788
    shortfall said:

Rather odd behaviour for someone supposedly trying to avoid media.
    Harry Markle. Like muchly. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.