Met Parachute, old vs new 2014

Comments

• Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    If an AM bike is designed to do everything from XC to DH, shouldn't an AM helmet be able to do the same?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    But the reviews and marketing rubbish say that it's amazing in every way so why not market it for all types of cycling?

Probably because Enduro is the current buzz word in mtb, especially in marketing terms and they know full well that even though the new Parachute is in a completely different league to the old one, that the serious Downhill brigade will probably take one look at the name and say no, then another look at the pictures and say hell-no, it's got too many holes in (a valid point in some respect). So it's not worth their while marketing it to an audience that almost certainly won't buy one in a market where there are already hundreds of different full-face helmets with trendier names, cooler graphics and are worn by the pro-DH riders that many are hoping/trying to emulate.

Besides - if Ratboy wore one of those his hair would be even more ridiculous come the end of a ride...
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Would you rather be wearing one of these or an open face helmet when you face plant a rock at 30mph? I know what most people will say. Whether you want to ride uphill in one of these in order to get the extra protection is up to you.
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    So, realnumber1, had a chance to take it for a ride yet?
  • Qui3tman wrote:
    So, realnumber1, had a chance to take it for a ride yet?

Not yet, hopefully will get out for a couple of hours this weekend if work goes well and the weather stays nice...
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I notice Justin Leov was racing in a Met at the EWS this weekend - a race where full face lids were compulsory.

p4pb11286528.jpg
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    It would be interesting to see testing results to see how much standard ff helmets exceed the minimum. How to the tests work, do they involve a front on impact? Leov's result was incredible considering he was riding with foot and mouth...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    No doubt this will re-ignite the frothing rage some feel towards this helmet, but mine arrived yesterday and had my 1st ride today.
    As I'm mr last minute dot com I only decided I wanted to get one Thursday at 5pm in time for bpw on Tuesday. Ordered the orange one from globalbikes (recommended, friendly & fast) and arrived saturday morning along with some 661 evo kneepads.
    It looks really good in the flesh, my head is 59.5 so I went large, the adjuster takes out any looseness and it fits really well, very comfortable and only 230 grams heavier than my caso viper with chinguard.
    Its much nice to ride in than the casco, a decent gap between the chinguard and mouth, so no rebreathing issues that I had with the casco, excellent venting so no overheating, plus looks considerable better also.

Will get up some pictures when I get a moment.
    Also the 661 evo's were excellent, I forgot I had them on they were so conformable.

I'm so #enduro :D
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • paul.skibum
    I saw somewhere that Bell have prototype of a similar convertable model in use by some of their enduro team riders.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    m_cozzy wrote:
    No doubt this will re-ignite the frothing rage some feel towards this helmet, but mine arrived yesterday and had my 1st ride today.
    As I'm mr last minute dot com I only decided I wanted to get one Thursday at 5pm in time for bpw on Tuesday. Ordered the orange one from globalbikes (recommended, friendly & fast) and arrived saturday morning along with some 661 evo kneepads.
    It looks really good in the flesh, my head is 59.5 so I went large, the adjuster takes out any looseness and it fits really well, very comfortable and only 230 grams heavier than my caso viper with chinguard.
    Its much nice to ride in than the casco, a decent gap between the chinguard and mouth, so no rebreathing issues that I had with the casco, excellent venting so no overheating, plus looks considerable better also.

Will get up some pictures when I get a moment.
    Also the 661 evo's were excellent, I forgot I had them on they were so conformable.

I'm so #enduro :D

In the name of science you now need to go out and have a really big crash.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I saw somewhere that Bell have prototype of a similar convertable model in use by some of their enduro team riders.

I posted it earlier in this thread. It's called the Bell Super 2R.
  • paul.skibum
    peter413 wrote:

I posted it earlier in this thread. It's called the Bell Super 2R.

Alright, calm down! :wink:

It looks pretty good, better than the Met I would say. Main thing with these converables is ease of removal and fitting of the guard. The original Parachute was a bit of a faff.
  • mark~p
    mark~p Posts: 55
    The old helmet has a standard "Click" fastening. The new one has a bonkers arrangement of two "D" rings and a puny red popper.
    How do you get the strap to grip and stay adjusted? If you have to pull it through the "D" rings every time to adjust it, the strap is going to wear in next to no time. The "D" rings are plain old bits or stamped steel. Not even wire. I cannot see why they have put this "improvement" on the helmet. Just hope that they do not put it on the others. Whoever designed (and tested) that needs their danglies putting in a vice.....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Most motorcycle helmets use two D rings for fastening. It's a very good and durable system and probably stronger than a plastic clip.
  • mark~p
    I have seen those but I cannot figure out how this one works. There does not appear to be any way of getting it to grip. Maybe I am missing something....
  • Horton
    Arguably, 2 d-rings is more standard than plastic buckles and certainly more durable... Put the strap through both rings, then bend it back on itself and loop it over the first steel ring and then through the second steel ring. You pull it tight - it relies on friction. The red tab is something you pull to then separate the two ring which loosens the grip on the strap. Simple. Pretty much unbreakable. Standard.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621

It looks pretty good, better than the Met I would say. Main thing with these converables is ease of removal and fitting of the guard. The original Parachute was a bit of a faff.

The Parachute has a fixed chin-guard, the Bells is removable. According to Bikerumour the 2rs has not been approved for DH use, there seems to be question mark over the safety certification.

The Bell does not meet ASTM 1952 standard (presumably because it has a removable chin-guard).

Don't go by looks!
  • mark~p
    Horton:
    Thanks for that, blindingly obvious now that I have tried it.........
    Duh
  • Horton
    You're welcome!
  • paul.skibum
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

The Parachute has a fixed chin-guard, the Bells is removable. According to Bikerumour the 2rs has not been approved for DH use, there seems to be question mark over the safety certification.

The Bell does not meet ASTM 1952 standard (presumably because it has a removable chin-guard).

Don't go by looks!

I hadn't actually looked at the new parachute and didn't realise the guard wasnt removable - assumed it was like the original version. Wont be buying one of them then! Anymore than I would buy the 2RS. I only wear a full face for the bike park and even then the stuff I ride and speed I ride at my normal trail lid would be fine!
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    News just in......

The Bell Super R is only CPSC and CE EN1078 certified which means it only meets the same minimum criteria as a standard open face bicycle helmet, despite having a chinbar.

After my experience with my Archi Enduro I wouldn't touch a full face thats not passed ASTM 1952.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've come around to the new parachute but it's way too expensive, I'd probably buy one if it was under £100

as for the removable chin guard on the bell, its kinda pointless as its not the chin guard that makes your head hot.
  • Bit of a late update on this thread as I've just come back from Les Deux Alpes. The helmet is brilliant I'm pleased to say. It's light, fits well and at no point did I feel it was any hotter to wear than the old one which is exactly what I was after!
    The strap system works well and is very comfy but like on past motorbike helmets I've had it can be a little fiddly to use while wearing gloves but that's a small gripe.

Regarding the price, yeah it's a bit dear but when you compare it to what you can buy plenty of other full face helmets for I really don't think it's all that bad and the cost does show in the quality of it imo.

My next good test for it will be a weekend in CyB in a few weeks time but I really can't see heat being a problem with it.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Bit of a late update on this thread as I've just come back from Les Deux Alpes. The helmet is brilliant I'm pleased to say. It's light, fits well and at no point did I feel it was any hotter to wear than the old one which is exactly what I was after!
    The strap system works well and is very comfy but like on past motorbike helmets I've had it can be a little fiddly to use while wearing gloves but that's a small gripe.

Regarding the price, yeah it's a bit dear but when you compare it to what you can buy plenty of other full face helmets for I really don't think it's all that bad and the cost does show in the quality of it imo.

My next good test for it will be a weekend in CyB in a few weeks time but I really can't see heat being a problem with it.
    How well does it cope with just normal riding?
    I went to press the button last night and CRC have sold out. :evil:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • With the straps and D loops can you not do what most people do with their normal full face where you undo it to loose but still in the D's and slip it up over your chin - this is a must in the bike park, especially as a guide since we are always removing our lids to talk and explain stuff.

Just cinch it up to ride then.
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    How well does it cope with just normal riding?
    I went to press the button last night and CRC have sold out. :evil:

Unlucky, although plenty of other places to get them! For the bit of normal riding I've done it seems fine imo. Although the better test will be when I go to Coed y Brenin in a couple of weeks. May also get out for a few hours this weekend depending on work...

With the straps and D loops can you not do what most people do with their normal full face where you undo it to loose but still in the D's and slip it up over your chin - this is a must in the bike park, especially as a guide since we are always removing our lids to talk and explain stuff.

Just cinch it up to ride then.

Yeah that works but I found the straps would get caught on my ears a bit when putting back on. I'd say I probably need to just get a better technique for it though.
  • VWsurfbum
    I hate the double loop type, hmm
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    Well i bit the bullet and placed my order, Zee germans do it for £125 delivered, and have it in stock.

Will let you know how i get on with it, off to a DH race this weekend (unsure if i can ride yet as i have damaged hand)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I hate the double loop type, hmm
    You soon get used to them. Double loops are safer as you adjust them right every time, with a buckle it can gradually go out of adjustment or it may not click in and engage properly.
  • VWsurfbum
    OK so the helmet has arrived.
    20140911_170529.jpg
    20140911_170645.jpg
    20140911_170712.jpg
    Initial impression was Wow that was quick (ordered monday night, now thursday from Germany) and very well packaged both by Bike-discount and by MET, the helmet bag is super nice quality.
    20140911_170730.jpg
    20140911_170842.jpg
    20140911_170859.jpg
    the helmet itself is the good quality as any normal MET XC helmet, very light and has alternate pads for thin/fat heads ;) (excuse my selfies)
    With normal head pads
    20140911_171142.jpg
    Without pads
    20140911_171227_1.jpg
    Fat head pads
    20140911_171607.jpg

This is my only (small) gripe, having to use the double loop fastener, but i suppose if the helmet is cool enough then i wont need to keep undoing it.
    20140911_170947.jpg

The helmet mount,
    comes separately in its own little box, it fits through the vent and bolts together.

Not sure if i'll use it yet???
    20140911_171821.jpg
    20140911_171836.jpg
    20140911_171841.jpg

Right now to get out once the kids go to bed and see how warm it is
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty