Met Parachute, old vs new 2014

Comments

• m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Nice, looks good.
    I prefer more protection that an open face helmet provides but one I can wear all day without boiling my head.
    I dont want to carry 2 helmets with me.
    Glad they are finally out at last.
    This looks to fit the bill perfectly, on the list of things to buy. :)
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    I'd love one but the price is just that bit too much :(
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    dusk wrote:
    If it worked when you put your face in a fan it must be good!
    I just don't see the purpose of it. When I feel the need for a full face helmet I wear a proper one, when I don't need one I use an xc helmet. I don't really see when I would need something in between.
    Either you're likely to land on your face or you aren't. There aren't really different levels of mashing your face in to the ground/tree/rocks/wall.
    That's like saying dropper posts are pointless as you should just be going up or downhill, not both. Large cassettes also along with adjustable suspension.....

What are you talking about?
    What I was saying is that it's pointless having different levels of face protection, either you think you're going to smash your face in to the floor or you don't. There's no point in half arsed protection, it just gives false feelings of safety.
    One reason I always wear goggles now is that I found out the hard way that the chin bar on a full face helmet can scoop up rocks in to your face so a small chin bar with a big face opening really doesn't appeal to me.
  • What are you talking about?
    What I was saying is that it's pointless having different levels of face protection, either you think you're going to smash your face in to the floor or you don't. There's no point in half arsed protection, it just gives false feelings of safety.
    One reason I always wear goggles now is that I found out the hard way that the chin bar on a full face helmet can scoop up rocks in to your face so a small chin bar with a big face opening really doesn't appeal to me.

Have you actually read either of these or even looked at the pictures yet? :? ?

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/revolution-in- ... chute-hes/

http://www.triridemtb.com/met-parachute-hes-2014/
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yep. You can find a good review of any old rubbish if you look hard enough.
  • I dont get it... you say "half arsed protection" but the parachute exceeds the protection levels of the full face helmet standard.

The opening doesnt look any larger than some "standard" full face helmets.

You dont like it, which is fair enough... no need to talk crap though :wink:
  • Yep. You can find a good review of any old rubbish if you look hard enough.

Must be shit then if you say so.... Do you realise how stupid you sound? Pmsl...
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I dont get it... you say "half arsed protection" but the parachute exceeds the protection levels of the full face helmet standard.

The opening doesnt look any larger than some "standard" full face helmets.

You dont like it, which is fair enough... no need to talk crap though :wink:

That's monkey's standard fall back, "Oh, but the review is rubbish.", when he realises he's choking on his own foot.

The conclusion seems pretty emphatic...

"Any doubts that the extremely light MET Parachute HES does not provide the full security of a heavy full face helmet are unfounded, in fact the Parachute offers the same if not greater protection than most traditional full face helmets on the market, exceeding the american full face standard certification ASTM-F1952-2032. "
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    So if it's as protective as a traditional downhill helmer then they will all become obsolete and every mountain biker will just wear a met parachute. So light even xc racers will use them.
  • Angus Young
    So if it's as protective as a traditional downhill helmer then they will all become obsolete and every mountain biker will just wear a met parachute. So light even xc racers will use them.

Of course not. Because people like you will insist that it's impossible.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Lewis A wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    bell super doesn't have a face guard though

I think you may have missed my point. :roll:

you'll have to explain it to me then since you said

"You can get a bell super and a 661 comp for less than one of these"

661 comp is a FF helmet, the parachute has a face guard but the bell super doesn't so the bell super is not a comparable product.
  • rockmonkeysc

Of course not. Because people like you will insist that it's impossible.

But if it is possible then every racer will wear one in DH world cup (less weight and cooler must be an advantage) and then everyone else will buy one. When I see pro DH racers or freeriders using them regularly I will be convinced. Lets see how many wear them at Rampage this year, the extra vents are going to be a real advantage out in the hot desert.
  • Angus Young
    But if it is possible then every racer will wear one in DH world cup...

Not if they're being paid to wear someone else's.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Honestly I'm not sure the pro argument works. Loads of them still run alloy bars despite their sponsors making carbon bars that are stronger so sometimes they'll go for something that's weaker and heavier if they feel more confident in it.
  • Rockonkey is the only one banging on about its DH credentials. As has been pointed out that is not its market. Enduro/all mountain is!

It may or may not be as safe as a £500 DH helmet but is quite probably as safe if not safer than a £60 661!
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    POAH wrote:
    Lewis A wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    bell super doesn't have a face guard though

I think you may have missed my point. :roll:

you'll have to explain it to me then since you said

"You can get a bell super and a 661 comp for less than one of these"

661 comp is a FF helmet, the parachute has a face guard but the bell super doesn't so the bell super is not a comparable product.

What I mean is you can buy a good open face and a good full face for less money than a parachute, which may or may not be good at being either.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    peter413 wrote:
    Honestly I'm not sure the pro argument works. Loads of them still run alloy bars despite their sponsors making carbon bars that are stronger so sometimes they'll go for something that's weaker and heavier if they feel more confident in it.

Alloy bars bend in crashes, they dont shatter like carbon. More chance of being able to pick the bike after a crash and finish a run if your bars are just bent.
  • peter413
    peter413 wrote:

Alloy bars bend in crashes, they dont shatter like carbon. More chance of being able to pick the bike after a crash and finish a run if your bars are just bent.

Alloy bars can still snap and if the carbon bars are stronger then maybe they won't be damaged at all when the alloy ones are. If you crash you're likely out of the running anyway except in a few extreme examples so I don't buy into that at all.

As the others said as well, the Parachute is not aimed at DHer's but Enduro/AM. It's just another choice of helmet like having lighter roadie helmets and heavier open faces like the Super. They are both helmets but one protects better than the other but they are also designed for different riding so nobody complains about them. So in this case the Parchute etc. is more like the roadie helmet and the DH full face is like the Super.

You say you won't wear one until you see a pro DHer wearing one. Well forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't Justin Leov a pro DH racer until a year or two ago :wink: It also happens that the rider in this video is wearing a parachute and he also races world cups albeit in the junior category.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You're right. An ex dh racer is using one for something other than downhill racing!
  • peter413
    But exactly what it's designed for!
  • rockmonkeysc
    peter413 wrote:

But it's as protective as a downhill helmet.
  • Angus Young
    peter413 wrote:

But it's as protective as a downhill helmet.

"Any doubts that the extremely light MET Parachute HES does not provide the full security of a heavy full face helmet are unfounded, in fact the Parachute offers the same if not greater protection than most traditional full face helmets on the market, exceeding the american full face standard certification ASTM-F1952-2032. "
  • peter413
    So what's the problem? It's designed for Enduro/AM which is what it's being used for and can protect the rider as well as it needs to. I'm really struggling to see your objections other than pure speculation of which you have not provided any proof.

Show me where it says BC or the UCI will ban these helmets for either DH or Enduro and if they do what their reasons are. Show me where professional riders are refusing to wear such a helmet and not just wearing another helmet because of sponsors or because it doesn't fit etc. Plus you keep telling us that it will never catch on for DH riders, well obviously because it isn't a DH helmet just like roadies aren't about to pick up a Super or Enduromatic etc. and neither will XC riders as they still don't use the Super style helmet either. You're unlikely to see Pro DH racers wearing a Parachute because the majority will have helmet sponsors and Met doesn't produce a traditional full face helmet so again your argument is a little off.

I showed you two examples of riders who likely ride faster and harder trails on their AM bikes than you do on your DH bike wearing the Parachute. I also showed you that it still covers most if not all the areas a traditional full face does. There is barely a gap between his goggles and the chin bar, something which I see plenty of with traditional full face helmets.

It is also possible that one DH helmet does not protect as well as another.
  • Angus Young
    Cooldad, where are you when we need you! :lol:
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    He's having his afternoon 40 winks ;)

I can't be arsed reading though all this bickering, but I do like the look of these new ones, especially compared to the original which just looked a bit wrong.

I could have done with one the other day actually.... I wear my ff when I know I'll be jumping or doing drops and stuff, but as most of my normal riding is on trails I just wear my trail lid. However, I recently discovered a hidden line in the woods with a 6ft step-down into a set of 2 big gaps / doubles. Was too chicken to hit them without my ff though, but I'll never take it to these woods as I have an hours cycle on road to get there then the same back. Screw that with a ff on!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    If it's as protective as any DH helmet then why isn't it marketed as a downhill helmet? Why is its intended prupose only AM/ enduro?
    What is the testing involved in it's approval?
  • peter413
    If it's as protective as any DH helmet then why isn't it marketed as a downhill helmet? Why is its intended prupose only AM/ enduro?

Because that's not what it was designed for. If it was marketed as a DH helmet it wouldn't be marketed as an Enduro/AM helmet and then you'd possibly get people saying there's no way it could be light enough or breathable enough because it's a DH helmet just like you're saying there's no way it could be as protective as a DH helmet.

There are plenty of other things that aren't marketed for something but are still suitable.
  • Shame that you can't test ride lids as I'd be interested in that one. I'm not sure I'd want to wear it all of the time, but it'd be good for the gnar!
  • rockmonkeysc
    peter413 wrote:

Because that's not what it was designed for. If it was marketed as a DH helmet it wouldn't be marketed as an Enduro/AM helmet and then you'd possibly get people saying there's no way it could be light enough or breathable enough because it's a DH helmet just like you're saying there's no way it could be as protective as a DH helmet.

There are plenty of other things that aren't marketed for something but are still suitable.

But the reviews and marketing rubbish say that it's amazing in every way so why not market it for all types of cycling?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    timetostopposting.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8