The new Gabba?

12346»

Comments

• aammm, the review is by Procycling actually .
  • letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

Zetta who do the review, distribute the parentini therefore there is no vested interest :roll:

the review is by Procycling, Jamie Wilkins.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

Zetta who do the review, distribute the parentini therefore there is no vested interest :roll:

Okay so Jamie Wilkins and yourself say the Parentini is better and you say case closed?
    I take it the views of a lot of the pro peloton, the reviewers of the Gabba on wiggle etc and the large numbers of posters on this site don't count?
  • letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

Okay so Jamie Wilkins and yourself say the Parentini is better and you say case closed?
    I take it the views of a lot of the pro peloton, the reviewers of the Gabba on wiggle etc and the large numbers of posters on this site don't count?

Do you really judje a product because Pros use it? whats the term SPONSOR means?
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

They do. But only because they're commenting on a product that's already out there and haven't tried Parentini's Mossa or other new Gabba equivalents to compare against.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    There is also the new Etxeondo jersey and armwarmers, they also cost a packet.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

Do you really judje a product because Pros use it? whats the term SPONSOR means?

Don't forget that there were quite a few teams wearing very suspicious gabba like jackets a few years back - with labels removed - as Castelli weren;t their kit sponsor.

So the pros were keen on the Gabba. I think they all have their own version now though.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

No I don't judge the performance of the Gabba purely on what Pros think - even though some of them wore them with the Castelli logo blacked out due to not being sponsored by Castelli. A simple search on bike radar will yield a plethora of very favourable reviews as does the wiggle and evans review sections. Besides I would trust those opinions far more than the singular Jamie Watkins who may have tested the Parentini over one ride.
  • clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

Ehrmageeerd

Like, we know you have a hardon for Parentini or whatever but seriously?

You are totally missing the point on the whole Pro riders wearing Gabbas thing... THE PROS ARE BUYING THEM not getting them from sponsors, not even calling up Castelli and getting them for free... Cancellara bought one from an LBS before MSR this year, the whole Europcar team were dressed in Gabbas that were BOUGHT by their kit sponsor(!).

Is the Gabba 100% waterproof? NO - Windstopper is pretty highly water resistant and with a DWR it keeps water out for longer, yes it'll need reproofed after a while, yes the seam areas will leak (same as on the Parentini - which you cannot classify as waterproof if water can get in!) Yes when it gets damp inside it stays pretty warm(similar to a wetsuit as someone mentioned before).

WindTex - really? WindTex? The stuff that has been on 'pro' rain capes for about 15 years and is why they have been buying Gabbas instead? I've had probably 4 or 5 Windtex jackets and a couple of pairs of gloves over the years that are WindTex, none have been remotely suitable for purpose - sweaty, cold and hold rain water like a sponge.Granted they are all probably before DWR became popular as an external treatment but the membrane hasnt changed.

If you are looking for 100% waterproof then you are looking in the wrong place - go for EVent or Gore-Tex but don't expect it to be as breathable, comfortable and for certain it's fit won't exactly be aerodynamic.

The Gabba deserves it's place as an innovation piece, I'm surre other stuff will come along and be as good and maybe better at some point but from what i've seen from Etxeondo, Santini, Craft, Ale and Parentini so far is just 'their version of a Gabba' rather than trying to make something better.

If you want a Gabba go buy a Gabba, don't bother with the Mossas, Rubbas, Gibbers and Dobbers
  • akastana wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

Ehrmageeerd

You are totally missing the point on the whole Pro riders wearing Gabbas thing... THE PROS ARE BUYING THEM not getting them from sponsors, not even calling up Castelli and getting them for free... Cancellara bought one from an LBS before MSR this year, the whole Europcar team were dressed in Gabbas that were BOUGHT by their kit sponsor(!).

Is the Gabba 100% waterproof? NO - Windstopper is pretty highly water resistant and with a DWR it keeps water out for longer, yes it'll need reproofed after a while, yes the seam areas will leak (same as on the Parentini - which you cannot classify as waterproof if water can get in!) Yes when it gets damp inside it stays pretty warm(similar to a wetsuit as someone mentioned before).

WindTex - really? WindTex? The stuff that has been on 'pro' rain capes for about 15 years and is why they have been buying Gabbas instead? I've had probably 4 or 5 Windtex jackets and a couple of pairs of gloves over the years that are WindTex, none have been remotely suitable for purpose - sweaty, cold and hold rain water like a sponge.Granted they are all probably before DWR became popular as an external treatment but the membrane hasnt changed.

If you are looking for 100% waterproof then you are looking in the wrong place - go for EVent or Gore-Tex but don't expect it to be as breathable, comfortable and for certain it's fit won't exactly be aerodynamic.

The Gabba deserves it's place as an innovation piece, I'm surre other stuff will come along and be as good and maybe better at some point but from what i've seen from Etxeondo, Santini, Craft, Ale and Parentini so far is just 'their version of a Gabba' rather than trying to make something better.

If you want a Gabba go buy a Gabba, don't bother with the Mossas, Rubbas, Gibbers and Dobbers

You need to do a bit more research mate. I can guarantee you the Gabba is not being worn but all and sundry, especially in that infamous MSR last year. A lot of them were in Vermarc (Aquazero) or Giordana (G-Shield) jerseys. OPQS, Lotto and United Healthcare use the Vermarc for example. This came out at the same time as the Gabba but wasn't really picked up by the UK manufacturers so the press never made a big thing of it. The G-Shield was predominately sold in the US where Giordana sell a sh*t load more product and some of the Italian teams like to use it. I posted a topic about it last year (the Bicycling link is now dead sadly). Basically it's all in the reflective detail on the pockets and the little rain hole. That's how you spot who's got on what.

viewtopic.php?t=12923757&p=18338264

Got any evidence on your Europcar story btw?
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    akastana wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

Ehrmageeerd

You need to do a bit more research mate. I can guarantee you the Gabba is not being worn but all and sundry, especially in that infamous MSR last year. A lot of them were in Vermarc (Aquazero) or Giordana (G-Shield) jerseys. OPQS, Lotto and United Healthcare use the Vermarc for example. This came out at the same time as the Gabba but wasn't really picked up by the UK manufacturers so the press never made a big thing of it. The G-Shield was predominately sold in the US where Giordana sell a sh*t load more product and some of the Italian teams like to use it. I posted a topic about it last year (the Bicycling link is now dead sadly). Basically it's all in the reflective detail on the pockets and the little rain hole. That's how you spot who's got on what.

I've also seen a video of Pozzato being interviewed before MSR wearing a black top with what looks like a Parentini logo on the zip. So perhaps he was using an early Mossa.

The thing the Mossa has going for it over the Gabba is that it can be custom printed - so cycle teams and clubs can get them printed up in their colours
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535

http://cycletechreview.com/2013/news/ca ... ss-savers/

"So when they have actually been able to race, the riders have had to look to new products to help them get through this horrific weather. If you look at any of the photos coming from this year’s Classics season you will have noticed that a lot of riders are sporting tight fitting little black jerseys. Some are hidden under trade gilets, yet others are more brazen with the logos blacked out. The item in question is Catelli’s Gabba WS jersey which we covered earlier."

http://www.wheelsuckers.co.uk/profiles/ ... ain-jersey

"By the rain-drenched Milan San Remo Classic of 2013, when March snowfall resulted in the route being shortened, the adoption of the Gabba over team issue kit was evident and when a deluge enveloped Stage 14 of the Vuelta e Espana later in the year, riders were openly talking of wearing their Gabba jerseys. Even the UCI appeared to be turning a blind eye to their own rules on riders having to wear team issue kit, including rainwear, that allowed them to be identified."

and a classic marketing trick! http://road.cc/content/news/115253-cast ... ion-jersey
  • apreading wrote:

http://cycletechreview.com/2013/news/ca ... ss-savers/

"So when they have actually been able to race, the riders have had to look to new products to help them get through this horrific weather. If you look at any of the photos coming from this year’s Classics season you will have noticed that a lot of riders are sporting tight fitting little black jerseys. Some are hidden under trade gilets, yet others are more brazen with the logos blacked out. The item in question is Catelli’s Gabba WS jersey which we covered earlier."

http://www.wheelsuckers.co.uk/profiles/ ... ain-jersey

"By the rain-drenched Milan San Remo Classic of 2013, when March snowfall resulted in the route being shortened, the adoption of the Gabba over team issue kit was evident and when a deluge enveloped Stage 14 of the Vuelta e Espana later in the year, riders were openly talking of wearing their Gabba jerseys. Even the UCI appeared to be turning a blind eye to their own rules on riders having to wear team issue kit, including rainwear, that allowed them to be identified."

and a classic marketing trick! http://road.cc/content/news/115253-cast ... ion-jersey

FFS this is just going to go on and on and on and on. Yes apreading some of them WERE wearing Gabba jerseys. If you actually read what I've posted and linked to you'll see that I'm not diputing that one bit, but they were NOT ALL wearing Gabba jerseys! The two brands I mention in my posts were realesed AT THE SAME TIME as the Gabba and the teams I mentioned were wearing (and are still wearing) these jerseys. Look at the pics from Dwars door Vlaanderen in March 2013 - that's the Vermarc jersey:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... ren/257377
  • akastana wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

Ehrmageeerd

Note - I didn't say ALL the riders were wearing the Gabba, just that plenty of riders who aren't paid to wear it are wearing it, most of the other 'rain jerseys' being worn by riders are from their own kit sponsors,OPQS, Lotto and UHC wearing their kit sponsors kit is hardly surprising!

Evidence for the Europcar bulk purchase? - well, here Arashiro in his- http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/480292191-yukiya-arashiro-of-japan-and-team-europcar-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXluHcs24Folswov0exckShWa0ftEnZKm%2BXMZJhCwY8Ej9DFRJUqnOxcojuJ5i4%2FsmA%3D%3D

but the info came from the guy that had to go out and buy them.