The new Gabba?

Comments

• Wish that Gabba on eBay was available in the blue colour! Will be perfect for the Autumn weather for the next couple of months.

And I bet that Alpha will come in handy when it gets a bit colder too. 8)
  • letap73 wrote:

Bit of a bloody difference in cost?!?!?

Wiggle £225
    Sigmasport £175 ......
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Philly8mt wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

Bit of a bloody difference in cost?!?!?

Wiggle £225
    Sigmasport £175 ......

They are different items - one is the jersey, the other a jacket.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I've just received an invite to the Parentini Launch, where they're introducing their new Mossa. Which if anyone is interested is an alternative choice to the Gabba. The event is free if anyone fancies going down and having a nosey. They're even giving away a Mossa and some shorts

https://www.facebook.com/events/322462374599378/

I've just bought a Mossa and it's a very impressive bit of kit.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Got my Gabba 2 Convertible from wiggle £198

expensive YES worth the money I'd already say so very good fit and comfy looking forward to rain 2morro for a proper test (see if it does keep the rain away even tho not a waterproof)

I like the removable sleeves but not sure about using them whilst riding, needs to last for 10 years to pay for itself :mrgreen:

sadly only the black colour at least they went with the small logo this time around
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Ricey155 wrote:
    Got my Gabba 2 Convertible from wiggle £198

expensive YES worth the money I'd already say so very good fit and comfy looking forward to rain 2morro for a proper test (see if it does keep the rain away even tho not a waterproof)

I like the removable sleeves but not sure about using them whilst riding, needs to last for 10 years to pay for itself :mrgreen:

sadly only the black colour at least they went with the small logo this time around

I got it in blue, from a company in the US so it cost me about £145. Agree about unzipping the sleeves while riding, that will almost certainly guarantee a crash. But it is a great bit of kit.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    edited October 2014
    Bnwt old style Gabba Convertible (black) on eBay .... From the U.S.

£84.00 inc postage RESULT! ... One of only two left (gone now) sadly. They still had ss & ls available though so worth a look.

Think the eBay store was called discountbicycle603
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Got my Gabba 2 jersey for £130 yesterday. Wore it for yesterdays ride with arm warmers and was warm as toast. Nice bit of kit.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Got my Gabba 2 Long Sleeve in Black from Evans this week. Paid £162 Price match against Wiggle and it fits like a glove. So glad i went with the Black and not the Yellow as i was first intending too.
  • kingstonian
    Got my Gabba 2 Long Sleeve in Black from Evans this week. Paid £162 Price match against Wiggle and it fits like a glove. So glad i went with the Black and not the Yellow as i was first intending too.

Yeah, the yellow was just a bit too retina-burning for me. I went with the blue.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    I took delivery of my blue Gabba convertible today, looking forward to wearing it out this weekend. The Mossa looks interesting, but thanks to a couple of #cafelove wins I was able to pick the Gabba up for £160 from Castelli Cafe - hard to say no to that... :)
  • kingstonian
    JoeNobody wrote:
    I took delivery of my blue Gabba convertible today, looking forward to wearing it out this weekend. The Mossa looks interesting, but thanks to a couple of #cafelove wins I was able to pick the Gabba up for £160 from Castelli Cafe - hard to say no to that... :)

Snap - I have the convertible blue one too. It received its first drenching today and coped admirably.
  • Philly8mt
    My £84 brand new (not the "new") Gabba convertible turned up from the good old U.S.A and had its first outing today .... Wore it long sleeve with a base layer for the first 90 mins and was toasty without boiling over. Once it warmed up and the mist vanished I just whipped the arms off and wore it short sleeve.

Great piece of kit. Just buy one for gods sake! :D
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    What re-waterproofers are people using on their Gabbas?

I have an "old" short sleeved one in yellow and nano-flex arm warmers, incredibly versatile. It's become more or less my go-to. I just need a second one to stop it getting such constant use :D
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    AFAIK, the Gabba doesn't need any kind of re-proofing treatment in the same way the Nano-Flex stuff does. The latter is a surface treatment which wears off with repeated washing, but the material of the Gabba owes it's water resistance to the actual material composition.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think DKay is right - I am sure that I read you can give it a short tumble dry to 'reawaken' the repellant properties. Search the web and check though, so that I am not the cause of melting your Gabba...!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    People with yellow versions of the jersey: is it actually normal for the fabric to get stained from standard road muck? Got back from a very wet ride a few days ago with the expected spray right up my back, stuck it in a simple 30C wash as usual, and hung it up to dry afterwards. The next day I went to put it on and noticed there were still faint spots all over the back where the worst of the spray had been. They're not very visible, but I was quite surprised that something like that wouldn't wash out easily, especially since it wasn't lying around for more than a few minutes before I stuck it in the machine. Grease or oil stains I could understand but just spray from the back wheel? I've seen some people recommending you wash the worst of any mess off in the shower before it goes in the machine, is that what I should have done to avoid it staining?
  • Philly8mt
    adr82 wrote:
    People with yellow versions of the jersey: is it actually normal for the fabric to get stained from standard road muck? Got back from a very wet ride a few days ago with the expected spray right up my back, stuck it in a simple 30C wash as usual, and hung it up to dry afterwards. The next day I went to put it on and noticed there were still faint spots all over the back where the worst of the spray had been. They're not very visible, but I was quite surprised that something like that wouldn't wash out easily, especially since it wasn't lying around for more than a few minutes before I stuck it in the machine. Grease or oil stains I could understand but just spray from the back wheel? I've seen some people recommending you wash the worst of any mess off in the shower before it goes in the machine, is that what I should have done to avoid it staining?

I've got the yellow/fluro vest/gilet and I'll admit to taking it in the shower with me .... Other half thinks I'm nuts!!
  • DKay wrote:
    AFAIK, the Gabba doesn't need any kind of re-proofing treatment in the same way the Nano-Flex stuff does. The latter is a surface treatment which wears off with repeated washing, but the material of the Gabba owes it's water resistance to the actual material composition.

It does. Google 'castelli gabba reproofing' or search the forum. Some sorry tales of it never being the same after a few washes.

As for the yellow version going manky. I did point that out in a previous post. Road grime will have the back looking like a filthy tennis ball by the end of the winter. I've seen some in sad states.
  • kingstonian
    DKay wrote:

It does. Google 'castelli gabba reproofing' or search the forum. Some sorry tales of it never being the same after a few washes.

As for the yellow version going manky. I did point that out in a previous post. Road grime will have the back looking like a filthy tennis ball by the end of the winter. I've seen some in sad states.

And yet the washing instructions on the Gabba itself only say to wash it at 30 degrees, no tumble drying, no mention of reproofing etc. If they are going to put washing instructions into the garment they should at least make sure they are right.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Just out of interest, after using and washing your Gabba throughout the last winter, has the initial "wow" worn off? Or does this miracle garment still stand up to the elements.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Ah well it hopefully won't get any worse now I've got a mudguard back on, got spoiled by the incredibly dry autumn we've had so far and took it off, probably a mistake :)
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    The convertible is a nice well made piece of kit

Last Thursday we had another away day to the Cotswolds "doing a few climbs" Saintbury & Larkstone - the weather started off about 11-12 Degree's the gabba felt cosy but never overheated on either climb, I had removed the sleeves and used cheapo lycra arm warmers and had summer shoes with summer overshoes again lycra

40 miles in the weather turned and boy it smashed it down got back to the carpark and the gabba was bone dry I had sportful no rain shorts on again impressed with them

the rest of me was freezing arms and feet - so money well spent for sure (I've been toying with leg warmers and overshoes or full bib tights nano stuff works)

the jacket impresses me every ride, Sunday foggy and cold felt just right again except for my hands (wrong gloves again)

the right kit is important & castelli have the right kit (buy it once not like me collected CRAP for 4 years)
  • Philly8mt
    Ricey155 wrote:

the right kit is important & castelli have the right kit (buy it once not like me collected CRAP for 4 years)

Got to agree with ya ... Most of the kit I ride in now tends to be Castelli (incl Gabba convertible and Gilet) or Sportful. At the very least, due to being out there and experiencing the ride/weather, I take my purchasing a little more seriously.

The kit I bought initially (18 months ago) doesn't get a look in.
  • Philly8mt wrote:
    Ricey155 wrote:

Got to agree with ya ... Most of the kit I ride in now tends to be Castelli (incl Gabba convertible and Gilet) or Sportful. At the very least, due to being out there and experiencing the ride/weather, I take my purchasing a little more seriously.

(first post, be gentle - hi everyone) :)

I've just started road riding after having a Giant SCR3 stashed in the shed for 4 years. Also riding in Castelli kit including a yellow Gabba and really happy with the kit. It did look expensive and I expect I've probably spent £400 already on just the basics but as you say, buy cheap, buy twice.

I've also read somewhere about re-proofing the Gabba including giving it a gentle tumble (after its air dried) and/or ironing it through a towel. Mine has only gotten wet once or twice so far so I can't comment much on whether this works, but I'm already finding myself worrying about washing it too often.

What do you folks wear under the Gabba if its a bit warmer out? Especially in the last day or two it's become far too warm for any base layer but I don't want the Gabba soaked in sweat after a ride.
  • kingstonian
    Ceesium wrote:
    Philly8mt wrote:
    Ricey155 wrote:

(first post, be gentle - hi everyone) :)

I've just started road riding after having a Giant SCR3 stashed in the shed for 4 years. Also riding in Castelli kit including a yellow Gabba and really happy with the kit. It did look expensive and I expect I've probably spent £400 already on just the basics but as you say, buy cheap, buy twice.

I've also read somewhere about re-proofing the Gabba including giving it a gentle tumble (after its air dried) and/or ironing it through a towel. Mine has only gotten wet once or twice so far so I can't comment much on whether this works, but I'm already finding myself worrying about washing it too often.

What do you folks wear under the Gabba if its a bit warmer out? Especially in the last day or two it's become far too warm for any base layer but I don't want the Gabba soaked in sweat after a ride.

In the past few days I haven't worn it, I have reverted to either a "normal" long sleeve jersey or a short sleeved one with armwarmers. When it gets over about 14 degrees I tend to not wear the Gabba. But I may run a bit hotter than others, I can happily wear the Gabba with just a summer base layer underneath down to 3-4 degrees, whereas I know a few guys that at that temp they have much warmer base layers on. So each to their own I guess.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    What re-waterproofers are people using on their Gabbas?

I have an "old" short sleeved one in yellow and nano-flex arm warmers, incredibly versatile. It's become more or less my go-to. I just need a second one to stop it getting such constant use :D

Try Nikwax Softshell proofer, don't use the wash in variety, use spray on
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    clincher3 wrote:

Zetta who do the review, distribute the parentini therefore there is no vested interest :roll: