2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • pandazoo
    pandazoo Posts: 95
    Carbonator wrote:
    Tried a few of the old ones on today.
    Large in short sleeve seems about right. Large in long sleeve seems a bit loose on the arms.
    Are the arms on the long sleeve meant to be skin tight?

Bit baggy around rear of under arms but not too bad when in a bike position.

Same for me mate, but in the bike position it was fine, a little loose when standing.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Carbonator wrote:
    They were not flappy as such, just not as close as I expected. Next size down was defo too small for me.

Wondered if short sleeve with arm warmers would be better.

Is the body of the short sleeved the same as the long sleeved?

The long sleeve has a couple of additional zips on the torso which can be opened for extra ventilation.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I already had the black long sleeve (very slimming as previously stated) but always felt a bit 'Ninja' during low light training rides. It regulated my temperature brilliantly though as I do run hot and prior to using this I'm convinced I'd always worn too much during autumn/winter. Saw the great Evans offer and snapped up a yellow short sleeve. Went out today, showers forecast, thinking "bring it on" - the torrential rain duly came and I felt smug as - stayed warm and dry and the hi-viz yellow is visible from space! Cars noticeably gave me more room today :? Only issue is that the back is now understandably covered in spray spots, so reckon this will be a bit of a bugger to keep clean :(

Have you got any pictures to show just how hi-viz it is? On the catalogue picures it looks closer to a green than fluorescent yellow (to my eyes at least)
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I already had the black long sleeve (very slimming as previously stated) but always felt a bit 'Ninja' during low light training rides. It regulated my temperature brilliantly though as I do run hot and prior to using this I'm convinced I'd always worn too much during autumn/winter. Saw the great Evans offer and snapped up a yellow short sleeve. Went out today, showers forecast, thinking "bring it on" - the torrential rain duly came and I felt smug as - stayed warm and dry and the hi-viz yellow is visible from space! Cars noticeably gave me more room today :? Only issue is that the back is now understandably covered in spray spots, so reckon this will be a bit of a bugger to keep clean :(

Have you got any pictures to show just how hi-viz it is? On the catalogue picures it looks closer to a green than fluorescent yellow (to my eyes at least)

It is bloody bright. I don't think the photos on the Castelli site aptly demonstrate just how bright it is.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1. It is VERY bright, but defo flouro yellow, not green. I quite like it and especially knowing there is a better chance of being seen by motorists during the day, and in poor light. Use google images and you should see some "real world" photos which give a better idea actual colour.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    I love mine, great bit of kit and very visible

LeavingCorpach.jpg

P1010478.jpg

P1010477.jpg

Longandwindingroad1.jpg
  • DKay
    Managed to give mine a bapstism today in mixed conditions, paired-up with Sportful NoRain arm warmers and no base layer at all. Was out for a couple of hours with the weekly club run, 14-15 degrees and intermittent showers. The Gabba kept me warm and dry with zero wind penetration and despite no base layer, I was very comfortable. The Gabba out performed the arm warmers, although the latter have been washed a fair few times and probably need reproofing.

I was looking at my friends with their clumsy waterproofs either billowing about like parachutes or having to unzip them for ventilation and I felt really smug in the Gabba.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    And that's the rub. I went out in a thunderstorm today. I had to, couldn't stay at work any longer. It was torrential.

With a rain jacket, even something like the Rapha one, I'd ride wondering when the inside would get so hot that I'd be wet from the inside. And coupled with windchill and outside wetness I'd eventually be uncomfortable.

With the Gabba I know that, eventually, I'll become damp. Mostly through exertion but a slight bit of seam ingress. But, crucially, I'd always be warm.

When you have a Gabba you feel impregnable.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think I am going with my original order of long sleeve yellow.
    The combo of hi viz and red makes me feel a bit nauseous, but I will not be looking at it while riding.

The long sleeve has vents and two other black lines to break up the expanse of yellow, and it seems (after about half an hour in the changing room trying on three of the four options) to mask belly bulges a little better than the short sleeve yellow.

I kind of prefer long sleeves rather than short sleeves plus arm warmers unless there is a genuine need to be able to take the arm warmers off.

Think I might get a short sleeved black one too just because they are at a good price and it looks a nice bit of kit.

Still not sure about the fit around rear of underarm, but pretty sure I am not the next size down, so it is what it is.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I wore my yellow short sleeve Gabba with arm warmers all through the last winter and it was good down to about 2-3 degrees.

Yes it does mark but unless someone has their nose stuck to the back of your jacket does it matter, but the yellow is bright and very good for the low visibility winter days and nights. If I was buying again I would buy the same jersey.

I'm normally a medium and large fits perfectly.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Aaaarrrggghhh, had decided to get the new version of the Gabba in blue, now hearing you lot extoll the virtues of the yellow I can't make up my mind. Damn you all !!!!!
  • Aaaarrrggghhh, had decided to get the new version of the Gabba in blue, now hearing you lot extoll the virtues of the yellow I can't make up my mind. Damn you all !!!!!

Good lights, road positioning and general defensive riding will help ;)
  • bendertherobot
    The blue isn't out yet.
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    I know the image is just a representation....but...it looks too long. One of my pet peeeves is pockets that hang around the butt....that's a mile away from aero. I personally don't like it.
  • bendertherobot
    It isn't. Here's where we get icky.

I'd say, without the tail dropped, the bottom edge is perhaps an inch underneath the top of my arse crack.

With the tail dropped my arse is covered.

Aero? The Gabba is the very aero of aero things.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Wore mine again today. Around 12 degrees (got up to 16 by the end), with intermittent showers and a sharp wind all the way round. Started with no rain arm warmers, but took them off around halfway as the temp rose. Such a versatile bit of kit, and I'm starting to like the road spray up the back of the hi-viz. Says "I ride in all weathers, and mudguards look bad on the bike" :lol: or, rather "I've spent a lot of dosh on this and I'm scared to wash it in case the 'magical weather-proof qualities' also wash out of it!!!"

I'm seeing a link here: don't ride carbon bikes in the rain or they "melt", and don't wash your Gabba too much or it won't be weatherproof any more :shock:

Seriously though, if you're still sat on the fence and Evans still have stock at the great sale price, dive in and get one. You know it makes sense...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • pandazoo
    pandazoo Posts: 95
    Well the yellow arrived.

Still undecided, haha :)
  • DKay
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Seriously though, if you're still sat on the fence and Evans still have stock at the great sale price, dive in and get one. You know it makes sense...

I agree. My mate went to buy one yesterday after riding in the rain, with me wearing my Gabba. Only Evans had sold out of mediums and he had to buy one from Tweeks instead at £15 extra. I was sceptical about paying £90 (never mind £175) for 'just a jersey', but it really is a great piece of kit.
  • DKay
    It's started raining. I'm off out for a ride.

On another note, one thing which I don't like about my Gabba, is that it doesn't have a small zipped pocket for things like keys. It's crying out for one.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The new one is already discounted to the level of the old one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castelli-Gabb ... 4d23dbb053
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Not quite - the old one got down to £90, but for most of its lifetime was not as cheap as that offer on ebay...

I wonder if this could be because of the Castelli Alpha coming along - that may beat even the mighty Gabba, it looks like an even more versatile option.
  • I have ordered the Convertible Gabba in blue from a company in Oregon, comes in at £140 with free delivery to the UK. Should be here any day now.
  • I have ordered the Convertible Gabba in blue from a company in Oregon, comes in at £140 with free delivery to the UK. Should be here any day now.

Did they pay import charges?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • letap73
    apreading wrote:
    Not quite - the old one got down to £90, but for most of its lifetime was not as cheap as that offer on ebay...

I wonder if this could be because of the Castelli Alpha coming along - that may beat even the mighty Gabba, it looks like an even more versatile option.

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castelli-Alph ... 1516306979
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    There is an alpha jacket and alpha jersey - not sure what the difference is, one thicker than the other? Not sure how they compare with the Gabba though. I think the idea is to take the Gabba and separate the windproof and insulating layers so that you can unzip the windproof part but still keep the inner part to cool down a bit.

Did they pay import charges?

A long story, but no - and I am not being charged them either
  • letap73
    Jacket:
    •Articulated collar that fits better whether standing or riding•Windstopper 150 fabric - windproof and water resistant with four way stretch•Separate insulating layer equals better ventilation and better moisture evaporation•Asymmetric external YKK Vislon zipper slides easily and lays flat•Raw edge waist lays flat and moves with you•Raw edge wrist cuffs lay flat for perfect interface with gloves•Stretch fabric with advanced patterning makes for excellent fit but accomodates a wide variety of body types•Back Ventilation•Silicone waist gripper to stop riding up•Front zippered pocket•3 rear pockets•Zippered rear pocket with reflective webbing•Temperature Range: 0° - +12°C. 381g (L)

Jersey:
    •Lightweight double layer wind jersey with rain protection on back•Windstopper 150 front and sleeves•Prosecco Stratus fabric liner with 2nd front zip•Asymmetric external YKK Vislon zipper to prevent bunching•Articulated collar that fits better whether standing or riding•Front zippered pocket•Raw edge waist lies flat and moves with you•Back in Nano-Warm fabric•Temperature Range: +8° - +15°C. 265g (L)

Gabba:
    •Fully aero and breathable•Windstopper X-Lite plus fabric for lightweight total wind protection with water repellent finish•Nano-flex fabric insert under arms•Storm flap construction at back protects from wheel spray•Silicone gripper on waist band to limit ride up•Front zippered chest vents•Full lenght YKK Vislon zipper with wind flap•3 rear pockets with drain mesh•Rear reflective trim on pockets and flap for high visibility•Temperature Range: +10° - +18°C•158g (size L)