The new Gabba?

Comments

• Quick Step are wearing Vermarc jerseys in that pic.

viewtopic.php?t=12923757&p=18338264
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    DavidJB wrote:
    I heard Gabba in a rave once...

:lol::lol::lol:

I often wonder if any of the folk wearing it realise what Gabba also means...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_hardcore

Hardcore will never die etc.

Wasn't gabba so much it was just hardcore at Helta Skelta in Milton Keynes...I was there for the drum and bass anyway ;) must have been 2002/3? I was defo 17/18...I think we were bricking it about ID anyway :D good times.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Quick Step are wearing Vermarc jerseys in that pic.

Good topic but from what I understand and this is where I went wrong when I nearly ordered a Gabba - the Gabba isn't waterproof, only water resistant or repellant.
  • LegendLust wrote:

Good topic but from what I understand and this is where I went wrong when I nearly ordered a Gabba - the Gabba isn't waterproof, only water resistant or repellant.

Indeed. They're made from water repellant fabrics. My GShield jersey is still going strong after more than a year. It's almost completely logo free too which I prefer.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    LegendLust wrote:

Indeed. They're made from water repellant fabrics. My GShield jersey is still going strong after more than a year. It's almost completely logo free too which I prefer.

The new model hasn't got the Castelli name written in huge letters across the chest
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    By the way, just saw that both Wiggle and Sigma Sport are selling the convertible model of the new Gabba - previously it wasn't sold in the UK (or at least I couldn't find anyone stocking it). Having said that, I'll be buying it in the US when I'm there in a month or so as it comes in way cheaper ($200 versus £200)
  • £200 for a jersey? Is there a Rapha version?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Right, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Gabba. However, I'm a bit torn on sizing.

I'm only 5'4'' (short torso) with a 28'' waist, but I have relatively broad shoulders and a 36'' chest. I have very little body fat, so no belly. I think a medium would be too long on me, but I'm concerned about the small being too restrictive up top. A small fits me just fine for most other kit.

Anybody able to give me their advice on what size to go for? I can't be arsed to order both sizes and have the hassle and expense of returning one. Thanks in advance.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I have a medium in the long sleeve, fits well and I'm 5'8, 38" chest, 33" waist. Think the Gabba sizes a little larger than some of their other jerseys, so recommend you go for a small size.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    DKay wrote:
    I'm only 5'4'' (short torso) with a 28'' waist, but I have relatively broad shoulders and a 36'' chest. I have very little body fat, so no belly. I think a medium would be too long on me, but I'm concerned about the small being too restrictive up top. A small fits me just fine for most other kit.

I have 30" waist and have a medium, you should be able to get away with a small.
  • DKay
    Thanks guys. I've looked on a couple of other forums and small does seem the size to go for, as the material is pretty stretchy. I've ordered a short sleeve as I already have the Sportful NoRain arm warmers.
  • LegendLust
    clincher3 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    The idea of the Gabba is good, the marketing is fantastic but the product is not what you think. i have been searching for similar jacket and done lots of research. the best one for now is Parentini [ The Mossa ] and Rapha soft shell. the reason is that they both use Windtex fabric whileas Castelli use Windstopper. i can elaborate more if someone would like to know more, i was sent a PDF from Parentini UK distributor explaining the details of their item.

bit of Pain to find the Parentini in th UK but i think you can order through the distributor, the Rapha one is easy found if you get the cash to spend. [ 185 for P. £260 Rpaha]

I shall be looking out for the Parentini being worn on the bad weather stages at next years Giro :|

I am not sure everything worn/used by Pros is a measure of quality.

Ullisi at Milan San Remo wearing a black jacket that has the Parentini logo on the zipper. If this is the Mossa then it's already being used by Pro's.

http://video.gazzetta.it/ulissi-pronto- ... 7749803d0b
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    LegendLust wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    The idea of the Gabba is good, the marketing is fantastic but the product is not what you think. i have been searching for similar jacket and done lots of research. the best one for now is Parentini [ The Mossa ] and Rapha soft shell. the reason is that they both use Windtex fabric whileas Castelli use Windstopper. i can elaborate more if someone would like to know more, i was sent a PDF from Parentini UK distributor explaining the details of their item.

bit of Pain to find the Parentini in th UK but i think you can order through the distributor, the Rapha one is easy found if you get the cash to spend. [ 185 for P. £260 Rpaha]

I shall be looking out for the Parentini being worn on the bad weather stages at next years Giro :|

Ullisi at Milan San Remo wearing a black jacket that has the Parentini logo on the zipper. If this is the Mossa then it's already being used by dopers.

http://video.gazzetta.it/ulissi-pronto- ... 7749803d0b

Fixed that for you :twisted:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

When those pros are spending their own money on said item and not using their sponsored kit I'd say it's a very good endorsement.

i really doubt this is a fact!!! there is another story to riders wearing it.

http://blog.castelli-cycling.com/2013/0 ... see-gabba/

You're the one saying it's not what we think, so enlighten us as to why the Parentini is the real deal, do you work for them?

I do not work for them, i can only share my reviews and the info presented to me , lets hear yours. here is the features of the Mossa: [ sorry a little long]

Introducing The Mossa:
    Definition:
    Mossa- [dare una Mossa]: to have a go/try/push
    Mossa- is also the race start of the Palio Di Siena; the "Mossiere" checks the Contrade and assigns positions. Tuscan expression through and through.

Mossa is new Autumn/Winter garment from Parentini. The concept has been tested and studied for a while and now ready to be launched. It is a whole new idea of confronting cold weather from sub Zero temperature to 15°. There is two versions, Windtex [winter] and Arrowind [spring].

A traditional winter fabric, with PILE or similar fabrics, keeps the moisture and the sweat. The membrane is only a part. The fabric used for the MOSSA line is made up of a microfiber highly hydrophilic that carries the sweat to the Membrane and through this one lets it evaporate. The WINDTEX membrane it is not only water-repellent, but it is WATERPROOF AND WATER-REPELLENT thanks to the HYDRO treatment that you have on the external fabric.

The Mossa wears just like a fitted jersey, which is essential to activate its technical characteristics. The fabric is light, elasticated so first impression is: how can this keep me warm? We will explain below pointing out the superiority of this great piece of kit.

The Mossa is made from elasticated fabric with a Windtex Membrane; Windtex is the world leading in technical fabrics. The Membrane absorbs sweat and releases it away from the body, meanwhile does not allow air to penetrate keeping the body dry hence warm. This can be easily demonstrated by placing the Mossa over a hot cup of water with a small mirror over it, you will notice the vapour coming through with relative ease [in riders case will be the sweat]. On the contrary if you try to FORCE water through the Mossa, the fabric will stretch but WILL NOT allow water through.

The Mossa is made super flexible material so the fit is body-tight, the garment is true to size, Parentini design team and technical supervisors worked endlessly to ensure sizing chart is as always per Parentini sizing. TRUE to size.

The Mossa is 100% waterproof it has the capacity of 10.000 mm (ISO 20811)
    The Mossa as explained is naturally breathable: <12m²Pa(ISO 11092)
    The Mossa is Windproof thanks to the Membrane: <1MM/Sec (EN ISO 9237)

The above numbers might have a small significance to an average rider as they are technical details, the idea is to show how advanced the material is in comparison with competitors, i.e. the Gabba is ONLY WATER RESISTANT.

The Mossa is available in short and long sleeves, with protective rain tail [optional]
    The Mossa is available also in WIndArrow material for Spring/early winter wear.
    The Mossa is available in personalized team colors
    The Mossa fabric is exclusive to Parentini till Sep.2014. So the earliest other companies will be able to use/produce similar garments will be end of 2015, whereas Parentini has the Mossa ready to order NOW-JUNE 2014-

How to wear the Mossa:

To get the best of the Mossa, the rider needs to maintain a certain average riding speed, raising his body temperature. The Mossa will not keep you warm in standstill position or on a very slow rhythm ride. The body needs to sweat for the fabric to do what its designed for.

The Mossa can be worn with only an undergarment, ideally Polypropylene, the must not be a great isolation between the Mossa and the body, the contact is essential. Individuals can vary their choice of undergarment as they see suited, you need to know your body temperature and heat release value.

The Mossa is short from the front if tried in standing position; the cut is anatomic, race bike position.
    The Mossa is 100% machine washable

The Mossa Vs Similar garments

Gabba is made of Windstopper , a fabric made of a series of tightly netted fibre with tiny holes to let the sweat out and not allowing water in [water molecules are larger], However, sweat contains skin residuals, body oil,hair, salts etc., with time[ and not too long] these elements will become trapped in the netted fabric, adding the washing, the Gabba won’t function as set out to. Simply because the material is now blocked, the heat remains inside and body cannot breath [some might mistake this heat function, as it is a warm garment- in reality it has become un-breathable bag of fabric]

The Mossa is 4 times more elastic than its competitors, making the fit much better once worn. Others display creases and folds due the fabric inability to mould in.

Mossa is 100% waterproof, Gabba has water replant.
    The Mossa guarantees you an optimum breathability.

Summary:
    The Mossa might have followed in the footsteps of similar product, however the finish and details and above all the fabric used to produce the garment, makes it truly unique. This garment is best tried. It will be a challenge to convince clients that they will be warm wearing just a thin garment. We are so confident this will be a break-through on how cyclist will dress from this day on. Within short time, this will replace the heavy jackets lined with foil, pile and other ideas bike wear manufactures came up with.

Benefits:

Waterproof
    Windproof
    Close fit
    Personalized
    Short/long sleeve option
    Rain tail protector
    Black or Fluro color in collection[non personalized]

The Mossa is 100% Handmade By Parentini in ITALY
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Sounds great and, from what I can tell from Googling it, it looks good. If it's not easily accessible to buy though, it's irrelevant how good it might be...
  • JoeNobody wrote:
    Sounds great and, from what I can tell from Googling it, it looks good. If it's not easily accessible to buy though, it's irrelevant how good it might be...
    like i did send the agent an email. they can order it for you. they might even have it in stock.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    clincher3 wrote:
    like i did send the agent an email. they can order it for you. they might even have it in stock.
    Who's the agent? How much does it cost? Apologies if you've already posted this info.
  • Windtex isn't very water resistant.
  • Windtex isn't very water resistant.

Actually Windtex is Waterproof.
  • I've got Windtex overshoes and a couple of Giordana Windtex jackets - they might claim to be waterproof but they are not. Good for cold dry days with a bit of drizzle but after taking a soaking they are nowhere near a 'proper' waterproof jacket like Gore's stuff, the Rapha Rain Jacket and other similar peices.
  • LegendLust
    JoeNobody wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    Who's the agent? How much does it cost? Apologies if you've already posted this info.

Looks like Zetta are the distributor, just seen this on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/zettadistribut ... 3065612146
  • I've got Windtex overshoes and a couple of Giordana Windtex jackets - they might claim to be waterproof but they are not. Good for cold dry days with a bit of drizzle but after taking a soaking they are nowhere near a 'proper' waterproof jacket like Gore's stuff, the Rapha Rain Jacket and other similar peices.

i think another member just answered by adding this link
    https://www.facebook.com/zettadistribut ... 3065612146
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Can anybody find any of the older version on sale? Not many places have any left :(
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    I've got Windtex overshoes and a couple of Giordana Windtex jackets - they might claim to be waterproof but they are not. Good for cold dry days with a bit of drizzle

agreed. I've had a couple of windtex jackets and neither were waterproof. They will withstand odd showers but thats about it. Just bagged a Gabba LS from evans after serveral good reports from other clubmates.

For those unsure on sizing I go a medium and it fits great (5'7", 68kg, 38" chest)
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    My windtex jacket is wind proof but nowhere near waterproof. It was also very cheap!

Gabba in medium (5'10", 11 stones 5 lbs, 38" chest - very good fit), much better in every way 8)

£110 LS version at evans is a cracking deal.
  • LegendLust
    foggymike wrote:
    My windtex jacket is wind proof but nowhere near waterproof. It was also very cheap!

Gabba in medium (5'10", 11 stones 5 lbs, 38" chest - very good fit), much better in every way 8)

£110 LS version at evans is a cracking deal.

But the Gabba's not waterproof either. Is there no one out there that makes a race cut long sleeve jersey/jacket that is waterproof?
  • DKay
    The problem is, you can't have something which is totally waterproof, but breathable enough to deal with the amount of perspiration produced by cycling at a decent tempo.
  • LegendLust wrote:
    Is there no one out there that makes a race cut long sleeve jersey/jacket that is waterproof?

Rapha Race Cape? More jacket-like than you are after I suspect.
  • DKay wrote:
    The problem is, you can't have something which is totally waterproof, but breathable enough to deal with the amount of perspiration produced by cycling at a decent tempo.

if you put the Windtex fabric on a hot cup of water, and place small mirror on the top, you will notice the vapour comes out easily.
    at the sametime try to force the water out/into the fabric it won't go through, so its breathable and waterproof.

i think you can get different leverls of quality windtex. not all with come membrane. i doubt entry level product can feature high end Windtex fabric.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    As others have said nothing is waterproof and breathable enough when riding even moderately hard. The gabba is well liked because it gives a nice balance of the two. You either get wet from the inside or outside eventually. I take any claims to the contrary with a large pinch of salt.