Its time for a lights thread

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    What do you use the red eye with Veronese?

I am thinking of a new helmet lamp and will only buy exposure wo what is compatible with the red eye?

I use a joystick on my helmet with a red-eye. I wouldn't want anything heavier up there.
    Agreed. Do you still have a spare micro to exchange for beer?

Possibly. I'll have to rummage in my box.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Just the light, Veronese68
  • Picked up a Macro Drive (F) and Zecto Drive (R) set for £40 from http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ekusupuresu a few weeks back. Half price. They're not selling any at the minute but they've some pretty good deals on other lights.

And I've been impressed with the Femto Drive copies I've bought from Aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6224864597.html Bright, seem well made, $2! They haven't been tested in the wet so far though.

So my set up for night rides will be the above plus my retina scorching Solarstorm. :-)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    rubertoe wrote:
    Hmmm they have a TraceR for £33 without USB lead or mount....

anyone know what charger it takes?
    I found a review and the picture looks like a micro USB as on many phones and ereaders. If you don't buy it I might.
  • veronese68
    vermin wrote:
    Just the light, Veronese68
    PM me your address and I'll sling it in the post. Send me whatever you think for it and I'll put it towards a TraceR. Batteries and the battery holding charger bit will be of little or no use to me. If you don't want them I'll see if anyone else does. I can use the mount as a spare for my Red Eye.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I near a rear light setup that's going trigger a string of alien invasion reports in my wake, only then will I survive commuting on the insanely fast A roads.

The quiet back roads are mostly off limits commuting wise until I get my neck sorted.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    I near a rear light setup that's going trigger a string of alien invasion reports in my wake, only then will I survive commuting on the insanely fast A roads.

The quiet back roads are mostly off limits commuting wise until I get my neck sorted.

The vision 3 is mental bright on the top setting; and the fit inducing strobe option will leave a wake of crashed cars if you choose to use it. I get WAY more room when I cycle using it in the Winter
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Stop calling it a vision 3. It is a shameful waste of Hope's sense of humour.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    This arrived today - around 4 weeks after ordering:
    sku_259653_1.jpg

Initial impressions are very good, particularly the feel and solidity of the rear switch, and no useless (IMO) pointless strobe/sos functions :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • vermin wrote:
    Stop calling it a vision 3. It is a shameful waste of Hope's sense of humour.

Ah yeah - sorry... District it is :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    i might just rock a red lense filter over one of my still working magicshines
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Daniel B wrote:
    sku_259653_1.jpg

Initial impressions are very good, particularly the feel and solidity of the rear switch, and no useless (IMO) pointless strobe/sos functions :D

price? specs?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Moon Shield 60? bright, small, cheap(ish) & USB rechargeable.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    sku_259653_1.jpg

price? specs?
    Your Google-fu is weak. http://www.dx.com/p/y-002-2-x-cree-xm-l ... BKOPMu9KSM
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    sku_259653_1.jpg

price? specs?

Ah sorry ITB, I think it's the one that SuperSonic linked too way back when on this thread - I know he knows his lights so took him at his word :-)
    EKE has located it anyway.

The only thing I find a bit strange is the length of the lead, which seems rather excessive - but apart from that the quality doesn't seem too bad - not sure how waterproof the connector would be however.
    But for the cash, £20ish delivered it seems like a good buy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    Always worth following the lights thread in MTB General as well for very bright front lights. Not really suitable in traffic though.
  • daniel_b
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Always worth following the lights thread in MTB General as well for very bright front lights. Not really suitable in traffic though.

The above to my eye is VERY bright, but it has 3 settings, and I always point them down a few feet infront of the front wheel anyway, but nice to have the option to go to 'full beam' on an unlit country road and ncie and easy to toggle it down again when required.

It's also powerful enough to warm up your arm if you hold the light on there for more than one second - same as my alleged 900 lumen torches I use for off roading :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    tempting ...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    One of these arrived today:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cateye-Rapid- ... 4d22880d82

It is to replace my Cateye TL LD610 which suffered an unfortunate demise at the hands of some mancunian potholes and going under a car or few (To be fair only the lens smashed and it still works as a light).

The Rapid 5 seems exactly the same as the LD610 apart from:
    * Hold the button to turn on (old one was just a press)
    * Different flash patterns

Only £15 from Rutland's eBay store though so not bad.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Daniel B wrote:
    It's also powerful enough to warm up your arm if you hold the light on there for more than one second
    I dislike wearing heavy winter clothing, so I'm in the market for some light arm-warmers.

• daniel_b
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    It's also powerful enough to warm up your arm if you hold the light on there for more than one second
    I dislike wearing heavy winter clothing, so I'm in the market for some light arm-warmers.

I can't see why this would not work, it might also give you a tan!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I think EKE already has quite an impressive tan :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    Daniel B wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I think EKE already has quite an impressive tan :wink:
    Indeed.
    And as an outdoor worker, I spend all of my working day in the bright London sunshine.
    I had a pretty decent cyclist's tan on my arms this summer, but lost it after two weeks in Greece to an all-over replacement (apart from my feet, which had strap marks from my sandals).

• veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I had a pretty decent cyclist's tan on my arms this summer, but lost it after two weeks in Greece to an all-over replacement (apart from my feet, which had strap marks from my sandals).
    Filed under "images I don't want in my head". :shock:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Filed under "images I don't want in my head". :shock:
    Just be glad I don't have 'white bits' for you to imagine, only dark and darker!

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I need a new front light - current one failed descending an unlit A road in the downpour the other night. That was fun.

Anyway, I need something primarily for urban riding. Quite fancy USB rechargeable. Doesn't need to be mega-bright but would be useful if it could just about cope with unlit roads on the rare occasions I ride them after dark. Looking for something for up to £25, unless you really have to spend more to get something decent. Any offers around?
  • Mike_L
    Mike_L Posts: 28
    Daniel B wrote:
    sku_259653_1.jpg

I've got one of these from last year (or a look-alike) & there IS a strobe/SOS function.
    You have to press & hold the power button for a few seconds.

Not that you have to use it of course - but I find it useful when filtering through traffic .

Mike
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    BigMat wrote:
    I need a new front light - current one failed descending an unlit A road in the downpour the other night. That was fun.

Anyway, I need something primarily for urban riding. Quite fancy USB rechargeable. Doesn't need to be mega-bright but would be useful if it could just about cope with unlit roads on the rare occasions I ride them after dark. Looking for something for up to £25, unless you really have to spend more to get something decent. Any offers around?

Moon Mask 5? Seems to be about £20 around the usual places (e.g. Amazon).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DrLex wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Moon Mask 5? Seems to be about £20 around the usual places (e.g. Amazon).

Cheers. I went for the Moon Meteor in the end as it fell within budget and seems to be a bit brighter and hopefully all round better? My generic Chinese Knog rip offs and Aldi tie on "emergency" lights are great as helmet lights / to keep in my backpack for emergencies, but don't cut it even under street lights. Hopefully this will keep me visible until the days get longer again.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seems I can get a pair of F+R Lezyne Micro Drives for £38 through sportspursuit. Worth it? Waterproof(ish)? Needed for 'be seen' and a bit of 'light up the road' in Richmond Park.

Currently running mega cheapy rubber things which aren't ideal.