Its time for a lights thread

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Yup its true, i've been rolling with rear lights day & night all year this year and intend to for as long as i' riding but tonight on my commute home 8pm ish it was actually noticeably getting dark.

At the moment its to be seen only but its just a matter of time until its full on winter lighting

Winter is coming ....

BUZZ KILL :lol:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• itboffin wrote:
    Yup its true, i've been rolling with rear lights day & night all year this year and intend to for as long as i' riding but tonight on my commute home 8pm ish it was actually noticeably getting dark.

At the moment its to be seen only but its just a matter of time until its full on winter lighting

Winter is coming ....

BUZZ KILL :lol:

You're as bad as the TV ads on now advertising back to school clothes for kids. God I used to hate those back then!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Big shiny ones. Ones that can fry a horse from 50 yards.
  • I want some that will disintegrate a horse, not just fry it!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I was actually thinking about this morning. I am doing away with all the crappy cheapo lights this year and going for something that blocks out the sun.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Bought a hub dynamo equipped wheel a couple of months ago. Given the quality of dynamo lights these days, it's most definitely the way forward.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    I had a cheap torch from DX, it was bright but a bit irritating. Now I have an Exposure Strada and a Joystick on the front. Both are 'kin bright and have that clever pulse mode where they are always on with a brighter pulse flashing. I use the joystick on this setting in daylight nowadays. I think it helps people to see me because my bike seems to invisible. Out back I have an Exposure Redeye and another one I can't remember the name of. They are expensive, even in the sales, but they work bloody well.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm slightly worried I can't be seen, so I'm thinking of upgrading my Hope Vision 2 to the Vision 4 to go alongside the Magicshine MJ808e. Do you think I'll be okay?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    I'm slightly worried I can't be seen, so I'm thinking of upgrading my Hope Vision 2 to the Vision 4 to go alongside the Magicshine MJ808e. Do you think I'll be okay?
    We'll always be invisible to a percentage of phucktards. Then there are the really dangerous ones like the tart last night that know we're there, but don't give a toss. :roll:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I have 1 set of Exposure Flash/Flare that are for "best". I also have lezyne femto which are pretty much always on the bike....apart from when they get stolen.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Rhodrich wrote:
    Bought a hub dynamo equipped wheel a couple of months ago. Given the quality of dynamo lights these days, it's most definitely the way forward.

This is actually the correct answer. I've been running a B&M front light for the past three years and it's superb. I may upgrade to a newer model and re-rim the wheel this year, though.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Veronese68 wrote:
    We'll always be invisible to a percentage of phucktards. Then there are the really dangerous ones like the tart last night that know we're there, but don't give a toss. :roll:

howabout 41b5kQ8h39L._SL300_.jpg
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    ^^^ that is being silly.
    But this is more realistic. 7 x XM-L2, with a claimed run time of 2.5 hours on full power.

$_58.JPG
    (Found by Ouija in the MTB thread)
  • Do you need two panniers to carry the batteries?
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    Fuel cell and hydrogen cylinder in the trailer.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Gawd that looks like it should be strapped to a rally car
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • They'd see you coming if you looked like this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFv3DwyIehSTBqHT6yYMW-xv0UX99qXReu2iW8Qb4vqwi4n8pu
  • supersonic
    I've got one of these on test ;-) :

But you can't go wrong with one of these:

http://www.dx.com/p/y-002-2-x-cree-xm-l ... supersonic

Tested it too, superb light, better than ones costing 10 x that. Nice spread of light, well made, useful modes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    what stun & kill? :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • supersonic wrote:

But you can't go wrong with one of these:

http://www.dx.com/p/y-002-2-x-cree-xm-l ... supersonic

Tested it too, superb light, better than ones costing 10 x that. Nice spread of light, well made, useful modes.

I've got something very similar to your link and agree it's a great light apart from the curse of the rubber strap. I bought a Hope mounting bracket which sorted that out. I only use it offroad now because I was peeing off oncoming traffic, I could not get the cutoff right, tried shielding but that looked rubbish.

I've got an Exposure Strada Mk5 for road use now, it's not as bright as the Chinese light but the beam pattern much more usable on road. Also got it at a stonking price direct from Exposure using their friends and family discount as they are just down the road from me :mrgreen:
  • Kieran_Burns
    supersonic wrote:

So that is a small child holding it, yes? Please let it be a small child holding it or that is basically suitable for guiding ships...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    This year I'm going to go all "Dutch" and have one of those little plastic LED lights that swing off your bars. I think that they only come with batteries that are already about to expire. Since everybody else is driving/riding whilst texting (even in the dark) a decent light is a waste of money...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    itboffin wrote:

I keep the front/rear lights on my commuter bike all year round. I know the day I take them off or take the good bike in is the day I have to work late. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work the other way round, so not taking them off and taking the R3 doesn't guarantee an on-time finish as I found out last night.

Chinese Magicshine clone for me on the front. Used to run one on the rear too using a red lens/splitter cable which got a lot of people asking me where I bought it but found the biblical weather that had me wishing I'd been taking an arc to work rather than a bike put paid to that idea as they're not sufficiently waterproof without full guards.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:

So that is a small child holding it, yes? Please let it be a small child holding it or that is basically suitable for guiding ships...

Lol, I do have small hands - but it is me! 9 XML2 LEDs, 6000 lumens with a 12 cell pack ;-)

That's measured lumens too by the maker. Otherwise it's 10,000!
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    I ordered myself some new CREE lights on eBay, in preparation for when the nights start getting darker (no streetlights on the cycle path). Parcel arrived last week containing this:

$T2eC16hHJFsFFRwvvUzEBRwV6vF5i!~~60_1.JPG :shock:

Not exactly what I was looking for... no idea how to attach it to the bike. :lol:
    Now waiting for lights to arrive again (apparently problem was a "new guy" in the warehouse).
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • ViperS15
    ViperS15 Posts: 61
    I'll be sticking with my Cateye Volt 1200 front and Volt 50 rear. Can't fault either of them for anything!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Seajays wrote:
    I ordered myself some new CREE lights on eBay, in preparation for when the nights start getting darker (no streetlights on the cycle path). Parcel arrived last week containing this:

Not exactly what I was looking for... no idea how to attach it to the bike. :lol:
    Now waiting for lights to arrive again (apparently problem was a "new guy" in the warehouse).

Superb, I thought you had some adjustable directional beam for a minute!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Seajays wrote:

You'll have plenty of light on tap, that's for sure...
  • veronese68
    Seajays wrote:

You'll have plenty of light on tap, that's for sure...
    I think there's a Y piece missing. You appear to have 2 tap connectors in regular 15mm to 1/2" but only one large union on the bottom of the tap.
    Thought I'd shed some light on that for you.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Actually, I will soon be riding through unlit country roads... I have an electron 4 aaa battery 9 led jobbie on the front (nice and bright) with two usb blackburn fleas on the helmet and seattube cateye big fattie one with 2 x 4 rows of leds, plus 2 others, one bag one that moves between seat stay or bag too for rear lighting.

However do I need something more to physically light my path out in the stix?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think there's a Y piece missing. You appear to have 2 tap connectors in regular 15mm to 1/2" but only one large union on the bottom of the tap.
    Thought I'd shed some light on that for you.

If it's like the one I had, then the flexible hoses screw into the bottom of the tap body; the threaded section you can make out is for the plate to clamp it to the underside of the worksurface. Alas, tap did not pass WAF, and was swapped out for a 'normal' mixer within a year...