Vuelta starts tomorrow Saturday move to spoilers

12346»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Pinot is racing but going there for 'fun'.

OPQS: Uran, Boonen, Tony Martin, Wout Poels, Gianluca Brambilla, Pieter Serry, Martin Velits, Nikolas Maes and Carlos Verona.

I thought Cavendish was talking about riding, or did I imagine it? Anyway, clearly he isn't.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Dan Martin:
    “Mentally, I am in probably in the best shape I have been,” he said, sounding psyched. “In the Tour last year I went in in top form. This year I really think I am getting better every day towards the race, and that is a really exciting prospect, as far as being able to build form as the race goes on.

“The third week is going to be really difficult so it is going to be really important to go in really fresh. I think I have got that advantage over everybody after obviously not having raced much this year.”

“I knew from training I would be going okay. I trained really hard last week. Then I rested a lot a couple of days before the race. I didn’t really know what to expect going into it. It was a hard course, obviously, but this race is all about thinking about the Vuelta.

“I am really happy with how things ended up. Every day I was getting better and better. There was a noticeable difference between Friday and Saturday. I was just improving every day. By the end of it, on Saturday, I felt really, really strong. I was really making the race and taking it to the guys on the climbs.”

Hesjedal is apparently also going very well in training and feeling very motivated. Don't forget Talansky will be looking for blood.

“He is definitely in good shape. In fact, Ryder is always good. You can always rely on him. It is going to be nice. Andrew [Talansky] is a true professional, he will be good. Obviously Cardoso is climbing well this year as well."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    TheBigBean wrote:

OPQS: Uran, Boonen, Tony Martin, Wout Poels, Gianluca Brambilla, Pieter Serry, Martin Velits, Nikolas Maes and Carlos Verona.

I thought Cavendish was talking about riding, or did I imagine it? Anyway, clearly he isn't.

From interviews I've seen with Cav the big concern was the further and possibly permanent damage which could be done to the shoulder should he crash again too soon.....maybe they've decided the hectic early stages of a GT isn't the place to be.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Completely forgot about Martin and in all the talks about the three musketeers..

Insane show up.

It can make me so angry that they decided to make this god awful route with this show up of riders.
  • Pinot is racing but going there for 'fun'.

What does De Gendt have to do to get a ride in a big race this season?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

The Giro not big enough?
  • FJS wrote:

The Giro not big enough?

I know, I know... But I think he's only ridden the Tour of Poland since then. He hardly rode in the spring either.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    There aren't many going for the GC to be fair.

Contador - been injured
    Pinot - for fun and the KOM
    Pozzo - injured
    Talansky - riding for Martin
    Evans - riding for Sanchez
    VdB - going for stage wins
    Betancur - could do anything

There you go. Quintana, Froome, Purito, (Valverde and Horner).

Oh and Zubeldia.

Leaves some top 10 spaces open for Chaves, Navarro, Barguil to fight for against Uran, Aru and Kelderman.
  • You missed Martin off one of those lists.

Either a not GC rider, a GC rider or a Top 10er are well within Martin's capabilities
  • frenchfighter
    Tinkoff-Saxo for the Vuelta a Espana: Alberto Contador, Chris Anker Sørensen, Daniele Bennati, Matteo Tosatto, Sergio Paulinho, Oliver Zaugg, Ivan Rovny, Jesus Hernandez and Michael Valgren.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Tinkoff-Saxo for the Vuelta a Espana: Alberto Contador, Chris Anker Sørensen, Daniele Bennati, Matteo Tosatto, Sergio Paulinho, Oliver Zaugg, Ivan Rovny, Jesus Hernandez and Michael Valgren.

I'm surprised that they didn't throw Rafa Majka in there for a laugh...
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    dish_dash wrote:

I'm surprised that they didn't throw Rafa Majka in there for a laugh...
    theres time yet :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    PINOT IS ILL
    Fever has kept him in bed for a whole day

FROOME CRASHES IN TTT RECON
    Recce'd Saturday's TTT course today. Jerez must have more roundabouts than any other city in Spain if the race route is anything to go by!!
    Took a tumble on an oil patch going around one of them. Couldn't believe it, back on the deck again!!! All good though

Why do SO many riders crash during TT recon?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Ciro Scognamiglio ‏@cirogazzetta 3m
    According to #Gazzetta sources, @hornerakg chris horner won't take the start tomorrow at @lavuelta. He won the 2013 edition
  • Froome crashing and Horner pulled out...

Is this going to be attritional again like the Tour de France?

I have a funny feeling this could be Cuddles's swan song! More likely Quintana will win by 10 minutes

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • frenchfighter
    r0bh wrote:
    According to #Gazzetta sources, @hornerakg chris horner won't take the start tomorrow at @lavuelta. He won the 2013 edition

This is bad. It is to do wtih Cortisol levels.

http://www.teamlampremerida.com/en/2014 ... di-horner/

I bet Lampre are rueing their punt on Horner despite his reduced price tag.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • r0bh wrote:

This is bad. It is to do wtih Cortisol levels.

http://www.teamlampremerida.com/en/2014 ... di-horner/

I bet Lampre are rueing their punt on Horner despite his reduced price tag.

It is sad how the MPCC rules, which are designed to encourage clean competition, result in such a nasty smell of deceit.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2014
    It is sad how the MPCC rules, which are designed to encourage clean competition, result in such a nasty smell of deceit.
    Yep. Although I'm not sure it actually encourages clean competition. It's an organisation for the benefit of team owners. A bit of PR to show wary sponsors. It has no regard for the cyclists themselves - who have no choice in whether they are subject to their rules.
    Horner, according to the press release, has done nothing different to Froome in Romandie. He's taken legitimate medicine with UCI approval. He shouldn't be denied healthcare. But he will now be seen as a doper in the minds of some. The MPCC rules are not there for any rider's benefit.

(Of course, he may be using the TUE as a cover to shovel cortisone into his veins, in which case screw him)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Jerez must have more roundabouts than any other city in Spain if the race route is anything to go by!!
    What, more than Milton Keynes.????

I'm interested again in the Vuelta with Horner out.
    Last year after seeing one stage with another Déjà vu, I gave up.

Also if SKY are only recently re con the Vuelta course then there is a chance they have not been as thorough in there preps as they are for the TDF.
    So yes I'm interested again.

Well there is always the cricket version of baseball tomorrow. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    deejay wrote:
    Jerez must have more roundabouts than any other city in Spain if the race route is anything to go by!!
    What, more than Milton Keynes.????
    I went to Milton Keynes once. I'm pretty sure it's not in Spain.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Tom BB wrote:
    Hmm funny one is Dowsett....obviously has the engine, but hasn't really made a mark as a pro yet.

Hard to see Dan Craven finishing the Vuelta.

Maybe his dimension is that of the local hero... he can hold the 10 miles TT national record, which means nothing to anybody outside the UK... same applies to a gold medal at the Commonwealth games, of course
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yep. Although I'm not sure it actually encourages clean competition. It's an organisation for the benefit of team owners. A bit of PR to show wary sponsors. It has no regard for the cyclists themselves - who have no choice in whether they are subject to their rules.
    Horner, according to the press release, has done nothing different to Froome in Romandie. He's taken legitimate medicine with UCI approval. He shouldn't be denied healthcare. But he will now be seen as a doper in the minds of some. The MPCC rules are not their for any rider's benefit.

(Of course, he may be using the TUE as a cover to shovel cortisone into his veins, in which case screw him)

I agree. I was skeptical about Horner last year, but the current decision has nothing to do with enhanced performance .

Incidentally - the pic shows how bad his head injury earlier in the year must have been.
    140725-Tour-19%5Et-Horner-partenza.jpg
  • joelsim
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Horner, according to the press release, has done nothing different to Froome in Romandie. He's taken legitimate medicine with UCI approval. He shouldn't be denied healthcare. But he will now be seen as a doper in the minds of some. The MPCC rules are not their for any rider's benefit.

I agree. I was skeptical about Horner last year, but the current decision has nothing to do with enhanced performance .

Incidentally - the pic shows how bad his head injury earlier in the year must have been.
    140725-Tour-19%5Et-Horner-partenza.jpg

Absolutely not! Never.

Interesting piece on Cycling Tips below.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/08/wada- ... s-for-hgh/

Out of 1,300 registered pro cyclists there were 1,224 blood tests conducted in 2013. I suspect a few of those were on our old friend Chris.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^interesting link Joelism. So about 1 in 3 samples in cycling get tested for EPO, and only about 3% for testosterone.

I'll qualify my previous comment to 'cortisone-induced performance enhancement' . It really won't provide much ( if any) benefit, which is why I think the MPCC rule is wrong.
  • evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133
    Just checked out the betting on the TTT and OPQS and OGE look decent value at 11/4 and 16/1 respectively. I've had a few quid e/w on OGE and on the nose on OPQS.

The bookies are not that clued up on cycling and money to be made on certain stages.
    All the gear and no idea...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If this season's Giro, Tour, and select one-week belters are the model, we'll be needing a few fortifiers over the next weeks. May I offer y'all a taste of the official beverage of Theme Movistar: NaironBru?

GL644006.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ^interesting link Joelism. So about 1 in 3 samples in cycling get tested for EPO, and only about 3% for testosterone.

I'll qualify my previous comment to 'cortisone-induced performance enhancement' . It really won't provide much ( if any) benefit, which is why I think the MPCC rule is wrong.

I think what it shows, is that even if you are tested, it may well not be for what people are taking.

Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just do a standard test for everything, less times?

And in doing that, make it more of a hurdle.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I don't really know where to put this now but this is an interview Contador did before the race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97VvVAsM5u0

He talks about when he gets the pain and what his aims are. I think it's clear that he's been testing himself on the inclines we've had so far to see how his knee reacts.

I found it interesting that when asked who the favourites are, he immediately said that Chris Froome is obviously the number 1 favourite. I think most people would have said Quintana.