• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That's a nice team.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Sky: C Froome, D Cataldo, P Deignan, P Kennaugh, V Kiryienka, C Knees, M Nieve, L Rowe, K Siutsou
    Maybe a better team than their Tour team if you ask me.

I'd agree with that. A strong lineup.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Sky: C Froome, D Cataldo, P Deignan, P Kennaugh, V Kiryienka, C Knees, M Nieve, L Rowe, K Siutsou
    Maybe a better team than their Tour team if you ask me.

Quality team. Can't wait for Froome v Quintana II
  • I reckon Quintana will outshine Froome on this one, due to the injuries and lack of racing Froome has undergone in the last few months. Saying that, what has Quintana done sine his Giro victory?
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I reckon Quintana will outshine Froome on this one, due to the injuries and lack of racing Froome has undergone in the last few months. Saying that, what has Quintana done sine his Giro victory?
    He won Burgos this week. But it didn't look like much of a field that he beat.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Quintana will rip Froome in the mountains dont you worry that. He has more natural talent than any cyclist since Contador. Froome was riding MTBs at Quintana's age.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    RichN95 wrote:
    I reckon Quintana will outshine Froome on this one, due to the injuries and lack of racing Froome has undergone in the last few months. Saying that, what has Quintana done sine his Giro victory?
    He won Burgos this week. But it didn't look like much of a field that he beat.

Yea, Froome will probably do the same as when he won his Tour. Let Quintana attack, ride back up to him, sit on him till he is cooked then sprint away for the mountain top win. Quintanas time will come but not yet.
  • phreak
    Not a huge amount of time trialling for Froome either. Around 45km all told, with a team time trial to open things up.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    BvU1MGNCMAEMYjf.jpg

"There is no place, however, for Commonwealth Games time trial champion Alex Dowsett. The Englishman had been named on the team’s provisional longlist as a reserve but did not make the final squad."

"Nairo Quintana and Alejandro Valverde will lead Movistar’s bid for a second Grand Tour win of the season after the Spanish team unveiled a strong Vuelta a Espana line-up."

And general manager Eusebio Unzue believes both Valverde and Quintana are capable of challenging overall against a strong field. “It will be the race itself which decides who our leader will be,” he explained. “Probably, no Grand Tour has had a stronger field in recent years – almost all big riders in the WorldTour, all of them confident about their chances of overall success.

“As far as we’re concerned, and with all due caution against such a start list, having. Nairo and Alejandro in our team means we have to start the race with the intention ofcontesting the victory.

“Nairo has spent 70 days without racing, but still brought his professionalism to the fore coming in good shape to the race plus Alejandro is a really important man for us, and I also think he can be in the thick of things GC-wise.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/reports ... spana.html
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    FocusZing wrote:
    BvU1MGNCMAEMYjf.jpg
    I'm not too keen on easy anti-Sky rants, but I have to say I dislike this form of presenting teams for races (I think Sky did it first, please correct if wrong) with super-domestiques and normal domestiques nicely arranged behind a team leader. MTN did it for their Vuelta team, and now Movistar too. It suggests there always is one clear designated 'team leader'. IMHO that isn't always the case, or at leats it shouldn't. Bring back total cycling
  • RichN95.
    FJS wrote:
    It suggests there always is one clear designated 'team leader'. IMHO that isn't always the case, or at leats it shouldn't. Bring back total cycling
    Leaders have been wearing numbers ending in 1 for as long as any of us have been watching cycling. This isn't much different really.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    FJS wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    BvU1MGNCMAEMYjf.jpg
    I'm not too keen on easy anti-Sky rants, but I have to say I dislike this form of presenting teams for races (I think Sky did it first, please correct if wrong) with super-domestiques and normal domestiques nicely arranged behind a team leader. MTN did it for their Vuelta team, and now Movistar too. It suggests there always is one clear designated 'team leader'. IMHO that isn't always the case, or at leats it shouldn't. Bring back total cycling

Must be a slow day if this is all you could find to be outraged by today!
  • FJS
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    It suggests there always is one clear designated 'team leader'. IMHO that isn't always the case, or at leats it shouldn't. Bring back total cycling
    Leaders have been wearing numbers ending in 1 for as long as any of us have been watching cycling. This isn't much different really.
    True. For some reason those images seem to emphasise the single leadership more. Someone has to wear number 1, and someone number 2, but there's other ways of arranging a team for a photo. It's no big deal, just something I noticed.
  • FJS
    r0bh wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    BvU1MGNCMAEMYjf.jpg

Must be a slow day if this is all you could find to be outraged by today!
    That didn't read as outrage, I hope? :roll: Just a comment really.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The TTT is very open this year. Trek and BMC look to have the best teams, Orica not. Sky not perhaps quite as good as Movistar but little in it in such a short race.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I'd have put that Sky lineup as being stronger than Movistar in a TTT. There's some real engines in there with Kiri, Suitsou, Knees and Rowe. Froome himself is no slouch or Cataldo. Kennaugh not a great individual TT rider but should be decent in a TTT. Only Nieve seems to be a bit of a weak link (not sure about Deignan).
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Deignan got quite a good result in the TT of the Tour of Poland, not a cracking field but enough to suggest he shouldn't be a liability.
  • phreak
    Kennaugh was part of the 4km pursuit squad so you'd imagine he'd be alright in a 9km TTT. I can't see there being big time gaps either way though.
  • As Cav explained a year or so ago, a TTT is less about the "engines" and more about the best way to use them as a team.

Of course, if you got Canc, Martin and Dumoulin alongside Wiggins, Dowsett and Evans you'd have a pretty decent chance
  • RichN95.
    'Big engines' aren't all that much use in a 9k TTT. That's only 1km per rider on the front. It's sprinters and team pursuiters that you need.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Hadn't realised it was so short. Bit of a waste of time really!
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    How did Contador recover so quickly? I thought he had surgery on his leg?

Did they put him up next to the blood bank in the hospital or something?
  • frenchfighter
    Pinot is racing but going there for 'fun'.

OPQS: Uran, Boonen, Tony Martin, Wout Poels, Gianluca Brambilla, Pieter Serry, Martin Velits, Nikolas Maes and Carlos Verona.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    So then, what's the deal with Dowsett? Strange that he isn't riding seen as he didn't make the Tour team. Is all not well for him at Movistar?

Also, when did Dan Craven sign for Europcar? He was a domestic pro last I heard.....he went well at the Commonwealth's until that barrier interface mind!
  • RichN95.
    Tom BB wrote:
    So then, what's the deal with Dowsett? Strange that he isn't riding seen as he didn't make the Tour team. Is all not well for him at Movistar?

Also, when did Dan Craven sign for Europcar? He was a domestic pro last I heard.....he went well at the Commonwealth's until that barrier interface mind!
    Apparently Dowsett hasn't got a contract with them next season.

As for Craven it was announced in July that he would join them in the August transfer window and would ride the Vuelta. Apparently he brings some sponsorship with him.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Dowsett should get a gig in a smaller team as their TT engine. Movistars team is not really about TT power, though they do of course have the last 2 Spanish TTchamps in their squad.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Hmm funny one is Dowsett....obviously has the engine, but hasn't really made a mark as a pro yet.

Hard to see Dan Craven finishing the Vuelta.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Pinot is racing but going there for 'fun'.

Goven how things have been for him over the last year and a bit I reckon he deserves a bit of fun.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tom BB wrote:
    Hmm funny one is Dowsett....obviously has the engine, but hasn't really made a mark as a pro yet.

Has won a stage in Giro hasn't he?