Vuelta starts tomorrow Saturday move to spoilers

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,201
    mike6 wrote:
    Let me get this straight. Contador broke his leg in the TDF, only a few weeks ago, a broken leg means a long time off the bike, plus the healing process....... and he is riding the Vuelta?

Sounds to me like he simply knew he was not riding well enough to win the Tour and used a crash as an excuse to drop out and prepare for the Vuelta. Or he is going to be horribly unfit and is riding because Oleg said he must. Pick one. :D

He was seen training near his home in Italy at the end of July:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/08/conta ... e-claimed/
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    He faked it.

How can you break a leg and not cry? :mrgreen:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Bo Duke wrote:
    He faked it.

How can you break a leg and not cry? :mrgreen:

Horrible to think he got back on and rode up a mountain before stopping. It would be good if the main protagonists are all there.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    There are 5 stages at 1600-2000.

Yippee now you are talking. I love to watch the mountain goats, the all rounders , the time trialers and the sprinters when the road heads upwards as you know exactly the pain some of them are suffering with. By contrast flat stages with riders tootling along and spinning the gears as they discuss some girls ass they saw the day before just doesn't cut it for me and I don't mind my wife watching eastenders then as long as Im not in the same room.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    So Froome is (probably) riding as prep for TdF 2015 and Contador for stage wins leaving the GC to Quintana vs J-Rod.
  • Paulie W wrote:
    So Froome is (probably) riding as prep for TdF 2015 and Contador for stage wins leaving the GC to Quintana vs J-Rod.

My money WOULDNT be on purito this time as he looked way tired at times in the TDF and I don't think there is enough time for him to recover 100%, might stick a fiver on Quintana though , if there are plenty of climbs then he is a sound bet.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W wrote:

My money WOULDNT be on purito this time as he looked way tired in the TDFand I don't think there is enough time for him to recover 1005, might stick a fiver on Quintana though , if there are plenty of climbs then he is a sound bet.

He rode the Tour as prep for the Vuelta. Recovery is a non-issue.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    r0bh wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Let me get this straight. Contador broke his leg in the TDF, only a few weeks ago, a broken leg means a long time off the bike, plus the healing process....... and he is riding the Vuelta?

Sounds to me like he simply knew he was not riding well enough to win the Tour and used a crash as an excuse to drop out and prepare for the Vuelta. Or he is going to be horribly unfit and is riding because Oleg said he must. Pick one. :D

Quite. On a broken leg? I think not. It was an excuse to hide bad form.

If Froome or Wiggins were in the same situation the nut jobs would be all over this like a rash. :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Maybe fractures are not all born equal... one thing is a bone cracked in half, another is a hairline crack somewhere irrelevant... unless you have seen Contador X-Rays and you understand bones, I'd say it's pointless to speculate
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paulie W
    A return to cycling in 4 weeks after a stable closed fracture is possible for an athlete. Surgery would normally suggest it wasnt a closed fracture (which normally means longer recovery times). Then there are the reported complications which you would imagine would extend the recovery period. All this makes Contador rocking up at the Vuelta absolutely remarkable.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ANyway... it's all god news, no? I can't think of better news for the race
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    mike6 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Quite. On a broken leg? I think not. It was an excuse to hide bad form.

If Froome or Wiggins were in the same situation the nut jobs would be all over this like a rash. :D

Maybe he's been eating a lot of beef. Ooops.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Paulie W

I guess - you want the best riders riding against each other in GTs (even if they are not going to be competing for the GC). But given cycling's macho culture you do hope that he is not endangering his long term health by racing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Paulie W wrote:

I guess - you want the best riders riding against each other in GTs (even if they are not going to be competing for the GC). But given cycling's macho culture you do hope that he is not endangering his long term health by racing.

Well, I would assume he gets better medical advice than we could ever summon up here... :wink:
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W wrote:

Well, I would assume he gets better medical advice than we could ever summon up here... :wink:

Yeah you would hope but given that riders frequently ride with concussion, broken bones, open wounds, severe chest infections, etc. that's far from a given!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Paulie W wrote:
    Yeah you would hope but given that riders frequently ride with concussion, broken bones, open wounds, severe chest infections, etc. that's far from a given!

Contador is going to be 32 this year, realistically he's got a couple of years left at the top, all being well... if he was 21, maybe he could give it a miss and train for next year, but realistically, he's got a couple of shots left at the Tour and this might be his last Vuelta as a top contender. Not so much to lose
  • Paulie W
    Contador is going to be 32 this year, realistically he's got a couple of years left at the top, all being well... if he was 21, maybe he could give it a miss and train for next year, but realistically, he's got a couple of shots left at the Tour and this might be his last Vuelta as a top contender. Not so much to lose

Except his leg maybe! ;-)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    Paulie W wrote:

But if you come back from an injury too early, you risk the possibility of making matters worse in the long run.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    He's quite good at falling off is Contador, maybe he'll make it a one two.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    FocusZing wrote:
    "Whenever I'm at my house or my parents'
    house, I sleep at 2,800 meters and train almost
    at the same altitude," he said. "And when I stay
    with my parents, sometimes I like being in my
    room which is at 3,100 meters. Yes, you can
    say I'm always highly concentrated on training
    [while in Colombia]."

That makes it sounds like his folks house is 300 metres tall. Maybe they live in a replica of the Eifel Tower and little Quinty's room is at the top, great for paper planes and stuff when growing up.
  • ugo.santalucia
    RichN95 wrote:
    But if you come back from an injury too early, you risk the possibility of making matters worse in the long run.

My point is that he doesn't have a long run left
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I still think there is something going on. If the break was bad enough to make him drop out of the Tour when "He was in the form of his life" how come it has not only healed but also given him enough time to prepare for a GT? Its not as if you can train on a static bike, with a broken leg, like you can with hand and arm injuries.

I detect the hand of Oleg in this scenario.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    RichN95 wrote:

My point is that he doesn't have a long run left
    I didn't mean that long. More like next season.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    He's in a no-lose situation really. If he goes well, he looks the hero. If he goes poorly, he can use the excuse that he wasn't ready to come back this soon.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Pokerface wrote:
    He's in a no-lose situation really. If he goes well, he looks the hero. If he goes poorly, he can use the excuse that he wasn't ready to come back this soon.

agree
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Europcar for the Vuelta a España: Dan Craven,Jimmy Engoulvent, Romain Sicard, Yannick Martinez, Natnael Berhane, Jérôme Cousin, Maxime Mederel, Bryan Nauleau and Vincent Jérôme.

Craven was mentioned before but glad it was actually followed through.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    I reckon that Contador is targetting the Worlds, so will be doing a Gilbert in the Vuelta. Stage win towards the end and flying in the worlds, backed by a highly motivated Spanish team.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    mfin wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    "Whenever I'm at my house or my parents'
    house, I sleep at 2,800 meters and train almost
    at the same altitude," he said. "And when I stay
    with my parents, sometimes I like being in my
    room which is at 3,100 meters. Yes, you can
    say I'm always highly concentrated on training
    [while in Colombia]."

That makes it sounds like his folks house is 300 metres tall. Maybe they live in a replica of the Eifel Tower and little Quinty's room is at the top, great for paper planes and stuff when growing up.

I think I'm at about 50m and 52.5m if I sleep upstairs.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    I think Contador will ride for the GC at the Vuelta, whatever he says I don't think he'll be able to resist giving it a go.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Mountain stage today in Vuelta a Burgos
    profile-03.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest