TDF Stage 12: Bourg-en-Bresse / St Etiennie *spoiler*

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Today's climbs are long but not steep at all, big ring stuff. Even Kittel surviving them is not out of the question

Break of the day: Langeveld (Garmin), Rast (Trek), Clarke (Orica), De le Cruz (NetApp) et Vachon (Bretagne)
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Turfle wrote:
    Looks like one for Sagan!

This will be the first time ever (or maybe since that Willunga Hill stage) that I've been rooting for Sagan.

He deserves one. He's been unfortunate so far.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    mfin wrote:
    I just looked up St Etienne on Youtube to remind myself how dull they were, I only got 15 seconds in though and my computer itself went into sleep mode.

Music for adverts.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    philbar72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I just looked up St Etienne on Youtube to remind myself how dull they were, I only got 15 seconds in though and my computer itself went into sleep mode.

Music for adverts.

Yep, especially adverts advertising sh1t music.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    OPQS wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

This will be the first time ever (or maybe since that Willunga Hill stage) that I've been rooting for Sagan.

No gimmes!

Is his head capable of coming up with a Plan B on how he can win a stage?!?
    Half man, Half bike
  • OPQS
    Ridgerider wrote:
    OPQS wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

No gimmes!

I know. There are no gifts. I just feel sorry for him. I am not sure what else he can do. Someone posted a really good set of scenarios yesterday and they all resulted in him losing. Meh! :(
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Ridgerider wrote:
    OPQS wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

No gimmes!

He's been bemoaning a lack of support. Surprising really that no one wants to take him to 2 metres from the line :shock:

I know lots of people are big fans and I agree he's very good for the sport. But he is a complete co ck
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    or, dare I say it, young and frustrated?
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    mfin wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Music for adverts.

Yep, especially adverts advertising sh1t music.

Nice post. Although the consequence was another bloody dinner medal!
  • OPQS
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I know lots of people are big fans and I agree he's very good for the sport. But he is a complete co ck

Who stole the jam out of your doughnut? ;)
  • ridgerider
    He could: -
    1. Just do what Cancellara does to win races, i.e. power away from the Sagenettes
    2. Learnt from how everyone else seems to be able to beat him
    3. Not beat everyone else to a pulp in the chase for the Green jersey in the first three days, then wonder why he's Peter 'no mates'.
    Half man, Half bike
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    coriordan wrote:
    or, dare I say it, young and frustrated?

I too would like to see him win today although I'm a bit ambiguous about him generally. I'm sure he'll mature.

However you can't fault his efforts this Tour and whilst as said above there are no gifts I think he's done enough to deserve just enough good fortune to bag a stage. If anything it's his tactics rather than effort that have been costing him
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I've never really warmed to him, but he seems like a perfectly nice 14 year old. His celebrations don't bother me, and he's clearly an immense talent; maybe it's the fawning over him every time he does a wheelie that irritates me. I don't know. But today he (probably) has my support.
  • ridgerider
    Did anyone else think that the TV coverage yesterday was the first time it 'looked' like the TdF, e.g. weather, landscape etc?
    Half man, Half bike
  • FJS
    Kittel just won the bunch sprint for 6th place at the intermediate sprint. He hasn't participated in many this TdF. Suggests the team is riding for Degenkolb today
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2014
    Ridgerider wrote:
    1. Just do what Cancellara does to win races, i.e. power away from the Sagenettes
    3. Not beat everyone else to a pulp in the chase for the Green jersey in the first three days, then wonder why he's Peter 'no mates'.

"... up to his keister with the Saganistas"
    It's a Re-Ron

4. Make then ride to win rather than riding to stop Sagan.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    FJS wrote:
    Kittel just won the bunch sprint for 6th place at the intermediate sprint. He hasn't participated in many this TdF. Suggests the team is riding for Degenkolb today

Christian Guiberteau: "Degenkolb is euphoric"
    Questioned during the race by letour.fr, Giant-Shimano's DS Christian Guiberteau said: “I was surprised to see John (Degenkolb) finishing second yesterday but he was surprised as well [after suffering a muscle thorn in his bum that almost forced him out of the Tour in stage 6]. In the morning, his morale was low but he eventually managed to follow. Had he still felt the pain yesterday, it would have been very complicated [for him to continue racing]. After the race, he was a little bit disappointed because of losing but moreover, he was happy to see that he came back from so far out. He was euphoric last night. Today he's motivated but cautious. Today, our plan is for him, even though Marcel [Kittel] might as well overcome the climbs. We contributed to the initial chase with Astana. Anytime soon, we'll put Ji Cheng at the head of the peloton in order to maintain the gap around four minutes. Eventually, we'll see of other teams help or not. We won't do all the work today.”
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    dish_dash wrote:
    On the other hand, and I may be opening up a whole can of worms, but is there enough significan cycling evidence of riders having their health permanently harmed by riding through these injuries?
    Thinking of Machado's concussion specifically, there seems to be a growing body of medical opinion that allowing sportsmen to continue after head injuries is a bad idea. One concussion is bad, a second soon afterwards can cause serious long-term damage. No wonder the BMA don't like boxing. But a disorientated cyclist riding down a mountain at high speed seems pretty undesirable too.

Let's hope the benign conditions and flat roads today will mean no more forced abandons.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Ridgerider wrote:

Fabian has had his fair share of towing people to victories over the year tbf..
  • OPQS
    Greg LeMond believes Griepel is going to win today. I just don't see it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    r0bh wrote:
    Also, it wasn't an injury he acquired in the stage, it was one that they would have assessed during the rest day. Fair enough having him start the stage to see if he could ride, but when it became clear he couldn't ride with the peloton, or even the grupetto, it was a bit pointless him carrying on.

Well he was good enough to finish within the time limit so there was a chance that the next day he could improve a bit more, finish with the autobus for a few days and then go for stage wins later in the race. That was obviously what Garmin were hoping, harsh maybe but that's the job.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RideOnTime
    OPQS wrote:
    Greg LeMond believes Griepel is going to win today. I just don't see it.

Would be good in the mix though..
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Ridgerider wrote:

Think number one is key. Spot on.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • FJS
    31 degrees now. Expecting images of riders raiding local bars for bottles of wine and jumping in village fountains. That kind of stage
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    goonz wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3JIUeqrVA

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Fair ripping it up. 23kms covered since live pictures started 45 minutes ago.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    goonz wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

How often does that work for Cancellara though? (A: hardly ever)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Breakaway chute takes out David dl Cruz with a collarbone injury.
    Seb Langeveld also involved.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RideOnTime
    I can't watch too busy too busy... may be just a little may be just the last 50km
    I can't watch too busy too busy... may be just a little may be just the last 50km
    I can't watch too busy too busy... may be just a little may be just the last 100km
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I can't watch too busy too busy... may be just a little may be just the last 100km

an early break... Boardman is so on the money..

there is a street in Stafford named after him, you know...