TDF Stage 12: Bourg-en-Bresse / St Etiennie *spoiler*

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Sarah Cracknell - fox back in the day.

Great football team too. Iconic kit.

And I have a friend who lives there... if you are reading this, hello Andy ! :)
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Talansky DNS. Should have just climbed off yesterday and saved everyone a lot of bother, although I guess he got his sponsor the best exposure they have managed so far this Tour!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    r0bh wrote:
    Talansky DNS. Should have just climbed off yesterday and saved everyone a lot of bother, although I guess he got his sponsor the best exposure they have managed so far this Tour!

That's not a suprise. Poor lad... Garmin going to regret not bringing Millar as they are left stage hunting... :P

(and from the podcasts) Interesting Garmin move to keep riders riding to the end of a stage before pulling out. Friebe suggested that they'd done a similar thing of encouraging Acevedo finish the stage before pulling out. Is this a Wegelius approach perhaps? Velocast had a big rant about duty of care and how if a rider is obviously injured/hurt they should be pulled out rather than encouraged to carry on...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    dish_dash wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

That's not a suprise. Poor lad... Garmin going to regret not bringing Millar as they are left stage hunting... :P

(and from the podcasts) Interesting Garmin move to keep riders riding to the end of a stage before pulling out. Friebe suggested that they'd done a similar thing of encouraging Acevedo finish the stage before pulling out. Is this a Wegelius approach perhaps? Velocast had a big rant about duty of care and how if a rider is obviously injured/hurt they should be pulled out rather than encouraged to carry on...

Damn straight. It sounds like he was almost bullied into finishing, and to then not start today? FFS. That sort of experience can ruin a rider.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • r0bh
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Damn straight. It sounds like he was almost bullied into finishing, and to then not start today? FFS. That sort of experience can ruin a rider.

Agree 100%. It was clear he was in no fit state to ride yesterday and he should have been pulled by the team with his future well-being being the most important consideration
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    r0bh wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Agree 100%. It was clear he was in no fit state to ride yesterday and he should have been pulled by the team with his future well-being being the most important consideration

I agree as well. If he wanted to abandon, then he should have been allowed to abandon.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The Tour can be a brutal arena at times. Somewhere, in a galaxy far away, sports 'stars' are venerated for their acting and 'simulation' (barf) skills. Meanwhile Talansky has his personality exposed and dissected, at length, courtesy of a bored TV producer. I didn't enjoy seeing his distressed interview after the stage. And if he was persuaded to get back on the bike he deserves praise for not hiding in the car, rather than even more questions about his bottle. (IMO)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    20140716481_DSC_2900G.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Remember Cola Boy - 7 ways to Love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPeNEMjjwRk

Sarah Cracknell did the vocals for the original white label, however her record company got wind of it and banned her from being involved in the full release, so Janey Lee Grace of Steve Wright in the afternoon fame is credited with the vocals in the full recording... It's still SCs vocals which were run through a sampler though.

Ironically getting to No.7 it is "St Etienne's" highest ever chart position.

0.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Sarah Cracknell - fox back in the day.

Great football team too. Iconic kit.

And I have a friend who lives there... if you are reading this, hello Andy ! :)

She was a fox :shock: She prowled around the streets with one of my chickens in her mouth!!!

What are the chances of your mate Andy reading this :roll: :roll: :roll: nil. sorry.

I reckon there's going to be a squeeze on the GC today. That's what Boardman reckons and he knows his stuff!! there's a road named after Chris in Stafford you know! and one named after Sally Gunnell.

Did anyone see Ned Boulting's interview with the French geezer? His French was sooo bad it was good... I was expecting him to ask directions to the station and then buy a vanilla ice-cream after saying 'my name is Ned Boulting' :lol::lol::lol: au revoir
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Well it is the Tour and he is their main rider - I can understand them wanting him to finish so they can assess things in the evening.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    Talansky DNS

“I'm absolutely heartbroken to leave the Tour de France. I built my season around the Tour, and the team has supported me every step of the way. I had hoped the rest day would allow some time to recover from my crashes,” Talansky said in a team press release issued this morning. “But it proved to be too much.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    profile-12.jpg

Bouhanni would almost certainly have been able to hang with the peloton on this profile.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    So which team tonight will be singing that nothing can stop them now?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDrZ2Ln6aBE
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • frenchfighter
    Geraint is a big fan of Porte's aggressiveness:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/ ... mas_336705
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Wot no wine?!

This stage goes right through the heart of Beaujolais, one of France's iconic wine regions. Although the 'fun' of Beaujolais Nouveau has rather diminished the reputation of the region, some outstanding wines are made here particularly from the ten Beaujolais Crus which include Fleurie, Morgon, Moulin-a-Vent, through which the race passes today, and the Valentine's day favourite St Amour.

The red wines are all made from Gamay, a close relative of Pinot Noir, and usually produce a light, fresh wine but from particular sites and when carefully made can produce much fuller wines which can age well. Morgon in particular is renowned for producing deep, rich wines.

A new wave of producers is now reviving the reputation and hopefully the fortune of the region which has been unfairly over-looked in recent years.

I'll let someone else do the cheese...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Maybe no wine because Beaujolais is near to the start, not the finish?
    Anyhow:
    69994837_wine_15220c.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Wot no wine?!

This stage goes right through the heart of Beaujolais, one of France's iconic wine regions. Although the 'fun' of Beaujolais Nouveau has rather diminished the reputation of the region, some outstanding wines are made here particularly from the ten Beaujolais Crus which include Fleurie, Morgon, Moulin-a-Vent, through which the race passes today, and the Valentine's day favourite St Amour.

The red wines are all made from Gamay, a close relative of Pinot Noir, and usually produce a light, fresh wine but from particular sites and when carefully made can produce much fuller wines which can age well. Morgon in particular is renowned for producing deep, rich wines.

A new wave of producers is now reviving the reputation and hopefully the fortune of the region which has been unfairly over-looked in recent years.

I'll let someone else do the cheese...

I do love a Brouilly, I must say. And I believe there is the Cote de Brouilly in today's stage.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    dish_dash wrote:
    I saw Machado interviewed yesterday about his crash on Monday. It sounds as if he was seriously concussed but took painkillers and rode solo to the finish. Surely someone from NetApp should have intervened for his own safety?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    On a more sober note, there's a roundabout near the end of today's stage with a homage to Andrei Kivilev. It's nar Sorbiers (km 172)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Geraint is a big fan of Porte's aggressiveness:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/ ... mas_336705

Nibali on Porte & Froometador.

“Richie was in the same Mastromarco amateur team that I raced for,” Nibali said. “I already turned pro, but was still around Tuscany training and we saw each other a lot,”

“He’s a serious rider,” the Italian said. “That day he pulled the Dauphiné this year, when Alberto Contador took the lead, he went all day and whittled the group down to only me, Andrew Talansky and Contador. That means a lot. To be honest, it seems as though the others gave too much at that race, but Richie is working his way to his best form.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/richie-porte-way_336506
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I just looked up St Etienne on Youtube to remind myself how dull they were, I only got 15 seconds in though and my computer itself went into sleep mode.
  • salsiccia1
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Well it is the Tour and he is their main rider - I can understand them wanting him to finish so they can assess things in the evening.

I see where you're coming from, but he's their main GC rider and it was clear there was never any chance he was going to get a decent GC result. And why drill it at the front to make it even harder for him? Bloody weird.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    ManOfKent wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    I saw Machado interviewed yesterday about his crash on Monday. It sounds as if he was seriously concussed but took painkillers and rode solo to the finish. Surely someone from NetApp should have intervened for his own safety?

Yep another one. Though that was also the day before they announced their new sponsor. I'm still suprised that he was allowed to continue despite making the timecut, while Ted King wasn't last year.

On the other hand, and I may be opening up a whole can of worms, but is there enough significan cycling evidence of riders having their health permanently harmed by riding through these injuries?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I see where you're coming from, but he's their main GC rider and it was clear there was never any chance he was going to get a decent GC result. And why drill it at the front to make it even harder for him? Bloody weird.
    It looked to me like a big FU from his team mates. Maybe the wrong interpretation, but the timing of it just looked like they were collectively saying "we're sick of your shit, go home".
  • salsiccia1
    dish_dash wrote:
    ManOfKent wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Yep another one. Though that was also the day before they announced their new sponsor. I'm still suprised that he was allowed to continue despite making the timecut, while Ted King wasn't last year.

On the other hand, and I may be opening up a whole can of worms, but is there enough significan cycling evidence of riders having their health permanently harmed by riding through these injuries?

I don't know, but I would imagine there is a real risk of psychological damage.
  • Coriander wrote:
    I do love a Brouilly, I must say. And I believe there is the Cote de Brouilly in today's stage.

Yup, although Cote de Brouilly is actually a different wine to Brouilly and is generally considered to be better.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Alan A wrote:
    Remember Cola Boy - 7 ways to Love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPeNEMjjwRk

Sarah Cracknell did the vocals for the original white label, however her record company got wind of it and banned her from being involved in the full release, so Janey Lee Grace of Steve Wright in the afternoon fame is credited with the vocals in the full recording... It's still SCs vocals which were run through a sampler though.

Ironically getting to No.7 it is "St Etienne's" highest ever chart position.

0.jpg

Cola Boy... a fellow Peterborian.
  • r0bh
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Also, it wasn't an injury he acquired in the stage, it was one that they would have assessed during the rest day. Fair enough having him start the stage to see if he could ride, but when it became clear he couldn't ride with the peloton, or even the grupetto, it was a bit pointless him carrying on.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Looks like one for Sagan!

This will be the first time ever (or maybe since that Willunga Hill stage) that I've been rooting for Sagan.