Tour de France Stage 9 Gerardmer - Mulhouse *Spoilers*

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited July 2014 in Pro race
PROFIL.png

stage_09_map_670.jpg

Mulhouse places of interest:
Hôtel de Ville (sixteenth century). The town hall was built in 1553 in the Rhenish Renaissance style. Montaigne described it as a "palais magnifique et tout doré" ("a splendid golden palace") in 1580. It is known for its trompe l'œil paintings, and its pictures of allegories representing the vices and virtues.
Workers' quarter (mid 19th century), inspired workers' quarters in many other industrial towns.[7]
Place de la Bourse and the building of the Société Industrielle de Mulhouse, in the Nouveau Quartier (19th century)
Cité de l’Automobile (featuring the Schlumpf collection)
French National Railway Museum
Museum of Electricity (Electropolis)
Museum of Printed Textiles (Musée de l'impression sur étoffes)
The Parc Zoologique et Botanique de Mulhouse (botanical garden and zoo)
Saint-Steffen Calvinist temple (1859–1869), by Jean-Baptiste Schacre

Technical descent? Astana try to burn off all Tinkoff riders to leave Contador exposed in the hope that Nibali can get some time on the descent and then hold him off on the flat 20km run in? Would be nice to see them try.

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What a waste of mountains.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Ah, the old Briançon stage on a smaller scale.
    So, the break goes away, stays away, while the GC boys
    swan around, make a bit of an effort on the final climb and await
    the big Vosges appointment, tomorrow.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I think it might work the opposite way - Saxo to try to use up the Astana riders so Bertie can go on multiple attacks. Poss not with tomorrow looming though.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Is this stage what happens when Mulhouse has stumped up lots of Euros to be both a finish town and a depart town?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Yes you'd think nothing much will happen but with Contador you never know - he is prone to trying things. I can't see it though - if Contador is in the form to get enough of a gap on Nibali that Nibali can't come back on that descent then he's got enough time later in the race where he can close the gap. I bet Tinkoff stick a man in the break anyway just in case.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:
    What a waste of mountains.

I was going to write that exact same sentence.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Is it broadcast in full? This is the kind of stage where the first kms and the climb cold out if the start up the Col de la Schlucht could be the most interesting
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's a good stage for an ambush - And a few guys who could do with pulling one out of the hat

But tomorrow is tough, so that might impact things.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's a good stage for an ambush - And a few guys who could do with pulling one out of the hat

Fugslang's gastric distress is another incentive. Basically everybody has a motive to stick it to Astana. High hopes.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    FJS wrote:
    Is it broadcast in full? This is the kind of stage where the first kms and the climb cold out if the start up the Col de la Schlucht could be the most interesting

Not on Eurosport, don't know about ITV though. Agree it has the makings of last year's stage 9 which was nuts from the get go.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    iainf72 wrote:

The weather today is cloudy with possibility of thunderstorms, wind 10-20km/h SW. Could be some wet descents to make things "interesting".

I can't see anyone escaping Sky's - sorry, Tinkoff's - mountain train if they're awake though. So unless Contador plays a card I can't see much happening for the GC.

Of course, the Garmin-Kaos boys could do smoething ridiculous and cause havoc, but that's always a possibility.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • In Pinot's training area - hope he has a good day - I see Ned Boulting picked him for a win
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    FJS wrote:

Not on Eurosport, don't know about ITV though. Agree it has the makings of last year's stage 9 which was nuts from the get go.

No full live coverage today, they are saving that for tomorrow.
    France 3 will be first up, just after 1pm, followed by all the usual suspects, 5-10 minutes later.
    Of course, Eurosport might just decide to carry on talking a while longer, with that nice American fellow they are paying.

The remaining full coverage stages are: 10, 14, 17, 18 and 21.
    That's 10 out of 21, not the 8 originally scheduled.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Anything could happen, look at last Sundays stage. Riders spread all over the place, big gaps, who would have bet on that in little old Yorkshire
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Some riders on turbo before stage.

Goooood times
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:
    Some riders on turbo before stage.

Goooood times

Only because they hit the climb straight out and don't want to be cold for it, surely? I don't think it shows any real sign of trying for a long distance break.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    French stream is live, for anyone wanting to see the start

http://www.streamfoot.info/stream/ch4.php
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Currently showing some treehouses. Sky's inner chimps should be right at home.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    A good battle to get in the break, and a good battle to get away from the break might be the best we can hope for today.

Final descent is apparently tricky, so you never know. Nibali hasn't recce'd it though, so probably not.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Sylvain Chavanel has mentioned he's keen to try to get in the break again today.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Thanks.

You might want to try it out before you thank me....
    5 seconds of the neutralized depart, then some French pop, then some arm-wrestling.
    Now an interview with a French pop star.
  • Turfle
    Who wants to get in the break with Sagan then? Anyone?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    14 riders away and two off the back ( Molard and Demare). Hopefully they get back on the decent, or it's going to be a long lonely day.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Thanks.

You might want to try it out before you thank me....
    5 seconds of the neutralized depart, then some French pop, then some arm-wrestling.
    Now an interview with a French pop star.

Lol this is pretty funny. I had it up for the pre-amble then was going to switch it for the start...which is just the sort of stage you want to see the beginning of.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Now 22, with a tiny advantage, including Gallopin, Ten Dam, Feillu and of course Voeckler.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Voeckler takes the 5pts for the climb, peloton catch the break 2km after.
  • Turfle
    All back together!

This is possibly the most exciting part of the stage.
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Turfle wrote:
    All back together!

This is possibly the most exciting part of the stage.

Where are you watching it? ITV4 coverage doesn't start for another 2 hours.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    inseine wrote:
    Now 22, with a tiny advantage, including Gallopin, Ten Dam, Feillu and of course Voeckler.

i'd have thought the French contingent would be keeping their powder dry for tomorrow; they're normally good value for a break on Bastille day although it invariably fails to succeed (2005 the last one ?)