ChengWatch *May contain Lantern Rouge Spoilers*

1235»

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Cheng being lapped on the champs Elysees, really getting behind this lantern rougue business!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Confucius say “Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart.”
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Has he finished yet? Not being snarky, btw. Just wondering how it works with laps of honour etc.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    CHENG!!!!!!

Sir, we salute you!

Right, any of youse lot still waiting for that park and ride bus to the velodrome/Hampden/Ibrox/Scotstoun/Tollcross.....

Zzzzzzzz. Thud.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Got to give Cheng Ji respect for adding another element of enjoyment to the Tour. Was a great addition to the race and I am so happy he finished and was able to play an important part on many stages.

You would have thought he had been trying to get this coveted Lanterne Rouge prize all his life - gap from 163 to 164 is the same as the gap from 163 to roughly 130 :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    CORVOS_00023554-020.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    097-PIC485135653.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Cheng Ji- like giving Eric the Eel a crack at the Olympics. :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    20140725_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_E22V8572.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Btkw-zpIQAAYORJ.png

Stolen from TDF twitter
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    021676667.jpg

+ 6:02:24, the largest time difference between the winner and the lanterne rouge since 1954 (lanterne rouge that year was at + 6:07:29).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    We know that the Yellow Jersey has won the last stage before, but has the Lanterne Rouge ever been the last to finish it?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Porte has some good stuff to say about Cheng: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/ric ... zxoxn.html
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    In the Tour, no riders are schmucks

We could do well to remember that.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Was on the Champs yesterday. We were following Cheng and he had my heart in my mouth when he came past us hanging onto the Voiture Balai in tears... gave him a good cheer then and every time he came around after that. So glad he finished, he's had a sterling tour!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    dish_dash wrote:
    Was on the Champs yesterday. We were following Cheng and he had my heart in my mouth when he came past us hanging onto the Voiture Balai in tears... gave him a good cheer then and every time he came around after that. So glad he finished, he's had a sterling tour!

That was a horrible, hard crash he had yesterday. And on top of his leg injury. Bless him - these men are have so much fortitude it's humbling. Someone posted a photo (upthread??) of Cheng with his head leaning against a wall or side of a car, his face contorted with pain and exhaustion. It makes me want to cry.
  • frenchfighter
    Asked what he would do now, Cheng said: “I have no idea. I will try to relax because I got married but 20 days later I came back to Europe for a training camp and then racing and it’s been eight months now since I’ve been home.

“That’s really long, I will try to relax and not think any more about cycling.”

“The hardest moments were just the first week and the last week,” he said. “The first week had more sprint stages and we had more chances for victories so I was working hard to control the group and working hard on the front. That was a hard week.”

“And the last week because I was injured in the left knee. Already I wasn’t looking forward to the mountains because of my injury which was so painful.

“But the second week was nice for me, I had more time to enjoy the race.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    smithy21 wrote:
    Cheng Ji- like giving Eric the Eel a crack at the Olympics. :wink:

Quite possibly the worst possible simile. I'm not sure how to interpret your comment & wink here - you do know that he wasn't there as a GC contender, don't you?