ChengWatch *May contain Lantern Rouge Spoilers*

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited July 2014 in Pro race
WANTED
Cheng-Ji-2014.jpg

Cheng Ji. Also known as Ji Cheng.
For BREAKAWAY MURDER
Last sighted at the front with his nose in the wind.
If seen do not approach as he is liable to rip your legs off.
May be armed with Di2

$HK5000 reward
kindly donated by Equipe Bretagne Seche
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    The Beast from the East.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Ha!

What was Kittel’s problem with him? I didn’t follow closely. He surely seems to be earning his keep.
    I think he (and Degenkolb?) were annoyed they weren't informed he was going to be on the team until quite late. Not sure if they actually have/had a problem with him personally, but yeah they can't really complain about the work he's been putting in so far!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Cheng runs the risk of becoming rider of this Tour.

BRPR should adopt both Cheng Ji and Arthur Vichot (salut Arthur si vous lisez ceci).
    Correlation is not causation.
  • HA!

Not only the hardest working rider in the race but leading the LR Classification by nearly three and a half minutes.

Don't know how he'll fair in the mountains but he only tips the scales at 67kg so he might not just be a flat-track bully.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    BRPR should adopt both Cheng Ji and Arthur Vichot (salut Arthur si vous lisez ceci).

We have haven't we? I have at least... and Steve's got the Cheng love going...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Until he can split up the pack like Tony Martin did last night in those winds, ill reserve judgment.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    goonz wrote:
    Until he can split up the pack like Tony Martin did last night in those winds, ill reserve judgment.

OT slightly, but Jensie wasn't happy with that move yesterday http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/hardly ... s-no-class
  • pottssteve
    Before becoming a pro rider Cheng used to work in a shipyard in Northern China, pushing in the rivets with his head. That was actually a promotion for him, as his previous position was as one of the first pizza delivery men in China. His region apparently ran from the Mongolian border over to Shanghai, and he covered it on one of these:

matt-ransford-hk-propane-bike.jpg

So a couple of weeks messing around in France is a doddle, really.
  • tonybanham
    tonybanham Posts: 64
    IMAG0108a_zps8d64ae86.jpg

Here he is in Leeds just over a week ago after a training ride. Wondered who he was then, well I know now!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    dish_dash wrote:
    goonz wrote:

OT slightly, but Jensie wasn't happy with that move yesterday http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/hardly ... s-no-class

Is there something Jens isn't moaning about these days?
  • above_the_cows
    dish_dash wrote:

We have haven't we? I have at least... and Steve's got the Cheng love going...

OK good. Arthur and Cheng it is!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    TDF2014 Leg End
    Definitely impressed and unlike most of Team Sky can actually ride a bike upright in the rain.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    symo wrote:
    TDF2014 Leg End
    Definitely impressed and unlike most of Team Sky can actually ride a bike upright in the rain.

Bore off
  • pottssteve
    Tonybanham wrote:

Here he is in Leeds just over a week ago after a training ride. Wondered who he was then, well I know now!

Yes, I understand he had just ridden there from Plymouth.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    sjmclean wrote:
    symo wrote:
    TDF2014 Leg End

Bore off
    eh?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    pottssteve wrote:
    Before becoming a pro rider Cheng used to work in a shipyard in Northern China, pushing in the rivets with his head. That was actually a promotion for him, as his previous position was as one of the first pizza delivery men in China. His region apparently ran from the Mongolian border over to Shanghai, and he covered it on one of these:

matt-ransford-hk-propane-bike.jpg

So a couple of weeks messing around in France is a doddle, really.

Brings a new meaning to going full gas.
  • adr82
    pottssteve wrote:
    Tonybanham wrote:

Yes, I understand he had just ridden there from Plymouth.
    Towing the car, and with all those bottles stuffed down his jersey too... just to make it interesting!
  • adr82
    What we need is an easy way to check the current Cheng status. Someone set up ischengonthefront.com ASAP
  • pottssteve
    Cheng has been quick to deny rumours that he is the secret love child of Jens Voigt and Grace Jones.
  • pottssteve
    adr82 wrote:
    What we need is an easy way to check the current Cheng status. Someone set up ischengonthefront.com ASAP

It might be easier to set up ischengnotonthefront.com as it will mean fewer posts are needed.
  • adr82
    pottssteve wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

It might be easier to set up ischengnotonthefront.com as it will mean fewer posts are needed.
    To cut down on the number of posts needed we could just say when he isn't on the front :P
  • pottssteve
    adr82 wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

To cut down on the number of posts needed we could just say when he isn't on the front :P

:D
  • pottssteve
    More details have emerged surrounding Cheng's inclusion in the squad. Apparently, Cheng was at home in Beijing when he got the call up. There wasn't enough time for him to catch a flight to Yorkshire for the Grand Depart so he cycled over as it was faster.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Apparently the GSCG bus broke down yesterday on the way to the hotel, no matter, they just put Cheng out front with a rope...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pottssteve
    I heard they tied Cheng to the hotel and he pulled that to the bus....
  • ddraver
    When Cheng gets on the front, he doesnt ride faster, the world just spins faster
    - @ddraver
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Someone should send Cheng a link to this thread, the same way Paul alerted Arthur to his thread. I hope he's delighted.
  • ddraver
    Cheng tried twitter once, The server couldnt handle the power surge
    - @ddraver
  • pottssteve
    ddraver wrote:
    When Cheng gets on the front, he doesnt ride faster, the world just spins faster

I thought that was Jens...
  • above_the_cows
    Have tweeted Giant Shimano the link as Cheng doesn't have a twitter account. Hopefully they'll pass it it on.