Putney Bridge closed for 3 months?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Every time I walk over, I look at the (wide) parapet and think, "What would Danny MacAskill do?"
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    every time I walk over I think why am I walking on a bike ride. Had a rather pleasant ride down PBR today, missed the sneaky turn afte rthe railway bridge but one way system really is not that bad.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Battersea I think is a mistake, too narrow and no right turn lane/signal onto the Chelsea Embankment. Vauxhall was OK this am and has a cheeky green pavement stripe that you bounce on and off more or less at will to avoid lights/traffic (entirely legit officer, just using the clearly marked cycle path). Chelsea Bridge should work better than both, but I miss the CS8 turnoff (I think it's at ) every single time. Let's you and him race (I had entirely squandered my [mumble]-minute head start over rower and edds by HoP so need a bigger engine).
  • surrey_commuter
    Dyrlac wrote:
    Battersea I think is a mistake, too narrow and no right turn lane/signal onto the Chelsea Embankment. Vauxhall was OK this am and has a cheeky green pavement stripe that you bounce on and off more or less at will to avoid lights/traffic (entirely legit officer, just using the clearly marked cycle path). Chelsea Bridge should work better than both, but I miss the CS8 turnoff (I think it's at ) every single time. Let's you and him race (I had entirely squandered my [mumble]-minute head start over rower and edds by HoP so need a bigger engine).

surely better to stay south and go over Westminster so avoiding PS
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    :shock: If you're going to deliberately skip the Millbank Sprint, you may as well take the train, because your days as an SCRer are as good as over. :wink:
  • surrey_commuter
    Dyrlac wrote:
    :shock: If you're going to deliberately skip the Millbank Sprint, you may as well take the train, because your days as an SCRer are as good as over. :wink:

I will take myself into the car park and give myself a sound thrashing. Millbank must have the fastest road surface in London
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    rower63 wrote:
    Another meet-up with Edds shortly before Putney bridge, and the chance to compare another route against my walking over Putney Bridge. This time he went Putney Bridge Road, Armory Way, then a secret-looking suburban cut-through to and across the gyratory (underpass?), York Road and across Battersea Bridge.
    Check out Strava Flyby acitivity no. 169712306 .
    By the time he got over the bridge on to NKR, I was just passing Albert Bridge, i.e. about 400-500 metres ahead. We met up again at Wauxhall Br, he said he'd had a great run of lights his side, and I was held up by some temp lights just after PB.
    score:
    PB 2
    WB 0
    BB 0

I followed the official CS8 route though. Not sure I will do that again. Cycling on the pavement always makes me feel uneasy even if it is allowed.

That route is close enough to your time I think with a good set of lights or a bad set of lights there isn't much between them.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • surrey_commuter
    Kurako wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    So, Armoury Way is ******* horrible.

Yeah, that bit's a bit pants. I went straight on, past Wandsworth Town station this morning to avoid it. That was pants, too.

Still, it's better than walking.

The route I was planning to take, but didn't because PBR was empty and there were a few quick people making good progress was the route I saw on KevEss Strava feed last night.

He turned off PBR at Point Pleasant (after the rail bridge) and then went along Smugglers Way to Wandsworth Bridge ad then back onto Townmead Road / Lots Road. It's probably slow, but it's got to beat Armoury Way.

Also, I came across Vauxhall Bridge this morning because I didn't know where to turn left. The folks coming over the river there don't seem to know about the Millbank Sprint.....

That way misses about 5 sets of lights so not necessarily slower.

Many thanks for this tip - a very pleasant route
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    okgo wrote:
    Think I've found my chosen route.

http://www.strava.com/routes/659940

So at the end of Cambridge Ave in New Malden you can go under the a3, so it cuts a bit of time there. Took 50 mins on the nose this morning.

You go right past my house in Woodhayes Road.

To miss Armoury Way, in the Wandsworth one way system, when you would turn right onto AW, go down the small path next to the Wandle as far as the river and turn right onto the Thames path. Takes you all the way to Battersea Bridge or even Albert Bridge if you wish, past the heliport. This misses Armoury Way, Wandsworth roundabout, York Road etc etc.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    owenlars wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Think I've found my chosen route.

http://www.strava.com/routes/659940

So at the end of Cambridge Ave in New Malden you can go under the a3, so it cuts a bit of time there. Took 50 mins on the nose this morning.

You go right past my house in Woodhayes Road.

To miss Armoury Way, in the Wandsworth one way system, when you would turn right onto AW, go down the small path next to the Wandle as far as the river and turn right onto the Thames path. Takes you all the way to Battersea Bridge or even Albert Bridge if you wish, past the heliport. This misses Armoury Way, Wandsworth roundabout, York Road etc etc.

Is this a bit of a pootle?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Yup, but if you want to miss Armoury Way it does the business. You can also cut back onto York if you want to up the revs.
  • surrey_commuter
    anybody else wondering how they can have it partially reopen for Ride 100 and then take another 2 months to complete?
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    anybody else wondering how they can have it partially reopen for Ride 100 and then take another 2 months to complete?

Perhaps they will leave it the way it is and call it a CX race.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    TFL are contributing to the cost of laying a temporary lane of tarmac for the Ride London 100.

The works will then continue fully afterwards.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I took the Smugglers Way / Lotts Road route this morning.

Much better, liked it a lot. I think I only put my foot down five times on the way in.

Going to try it on the way home too.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I took the Smugglers Way / Lotts Road route this morning.

Much better, liked it a lot. I think I only put my foot down five times on the way in.

Going to try it on the way home too.

that is my route of choice and for a pootler I notice on flyby that it is the same as PB. I made it all the way from Kingston to the lights at end of PBR with no feet down - small pleasures
  • tgotb
    Can I politely request that riders who need 30 seconds to get on and off their bike, do so before they get to the narrowest part of the footpath?

This morning, some nugget got so upset with me jumping off and walking past (there was plenty of space) that he ran after me, shoved his bike into my legs and then started swearing at me :roll:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • kurako
    Have taken the bike over the footbridge next to district line the past 2 evenings. It's a bit out of the way on foot but easy on a bike. Has been incredibly quiet and also wider than the tiny sliver of pavement on Putney bridge. There's so much space even the joggers cease to be irritating ;-)
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Kurako wrote:
    Have taken the bike over the footbridge next to district line the past 2 evenings. It's a bit out of the way on foot but easy on a bike. Has been incredibly quiet and also wider than the tiny sliver of pavement on Putney bridge. There's so much space even the joggers cease to be irritating ;-)

Have they built a temporary ramp up the steps there, like they said they were going to? That's the 'official' diversion route for bicycles, and you are allowed to cycle over it, rather than just push.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • kurako
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

Have they built a temporary ramp up the steps there, like they said they were going to? That's the 'official' diversion route for bicycles, and you are allowed to cycle over it, rather than just push.

Not a ramp as such. There are narrow rails that you can push it up. I prefer to just carry it.
  • tgotb
    Looks like Fulham are playing at home next Wednesday evening (20 Aug). Given how busy it gets round Putney Bridge on match nights even when the bridge is fully open, I reckon it'll be horrendous...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    TGOTB wrote:
    Can I politely request that riders who need 30 seconds to get on and off their bike, do so before they get to the narrowest part of the footpath?

+1
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Kurako wrote:

I tried that out yesterday and very pleasant it was too - I've never been across that way before.
    Rhodrich wrote:
    That's the 'official' diversion route for bicycles, and you are allowed to cycle over it, rather than just push.

Is there any authority for that? There's no signage that I saw suggesting that's the case.
  • Ian.B
    Apparently in a couple of weeks they'll swap the walkway over to the other side of the bridge and it will be much wider than currently, which should make things easier too
  • kurako
    Ian.B wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

I tried that out yesterday and very pleasant it was too - I've never been across that way before.
    Rhodrich wrote:
    That's the 'official' diversion route for bicycles, and you are allowed to cycle over it, rather than just push.

Is there any authority for that? There's no signage that I saw suggesting that's the case.

I suppose the distinction is in the difference between a footway (aka pavement) and a footpath. I'm pretty sure you are allowed to ride on a footpath. Anyway, there are no signs saying don't do it so as long as you take it easy and are nice to peds i don't see how anyone can complain (although some probably would anyway). I rode over slowly this morning although the walk can be quite nice you get more time to look at stuff.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Ian.B wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

I was going by what I read here:

http://www.putneysw15.com/shared/issuep ... ose010.htm
    Cyclists who would prefer to cross the Thames on two wheels can still do so if they use the rail bridge that links Deodar Road with Putney Bridge tube station. To make this task easier, the council has just gained permission from London Underground – the bridge’s owners - to install a cycle rail on the stairs so that bikes can be wheeled up onto the bridge instead of being carried.

Also see here: http://www.putneysw15.com/shared/conput ... dge001.htm
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • Ian.B
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

I was going by what I read here:

http://www.putneysw15.com/shared/issuep ... ose010.htm
    Cyclists who would prefer to cross the Thames on two wheels can still do so if they use the rail bridge that links Deodar Road with Putney Bridge tube station. To make this task easier, the council has just gained permission from London Underground – the bridge’s owners - to install a cycle rail on the stairs so that bikes can be wheeled up onto the bridge instead of being carried.

Also see here: http://www.putneysw15.com/shared/conput ... dge001.htm

OK that's interesting thanks
  • tgotb
    Putney Bridge is now way better, with a new lane down the middle that's probably 3 times the width of the old one on the pavement, and plenty of space to overtake dawdlers.

I reckon it'll still be a nightmare tomorrow though, planning to take an alternate route if I remember...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    TGOTB wrote:
    Putney Bridge is now way better, with a new lane down the middle that's probably 3 times the width of the old one on the pavement, and plenty of space to overtake dawdlers.
    I reckon it'll still be a nightmare tomorrow though, planning to take an alternate route if I remember...
    It'll be interesting to see if they've opened the middle section simply in anticipation of the match, or if it's part of the ongoing plan. It's actually just wide enough now to ride it with decent clearance for oncoming, though I haven't seen anyone do it yet.
    Had to replace a cleat on Sunday, they're wearing through pretty fast! (Look Keo)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • tgotb
    rower63 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see if they've opened the middle section simply in anticipation of the match, or if it's part of the ongoing plan. It's actually just wide enough now to ride it with decent clearance for oncoming, though I haven't seen anyone do it yet.
    Had to replace a cleat on Sunday, they're wearing through pretty fast! (Look Keo)
    I reckon it's part of the plan; hoardings coming down on the East side, and pavement still being laid on the West side. Looks like all they need to do in the roadway is lay the final layers of tarmac, which I'm guessing would only take a couple of days. I reckon they'll keep it as-is until everything else is done, and maybe do the tarmac in halves.
    Pannier, 120rpm.