Putney Bridge closed for 3 months?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm not walking across no bridge, no way.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    cjcp wrote:

There just seems to be something wrong about walking. Off the Wharf you can walk down steps off Westferry and save about 1km and a good few mins - it just seems wrong
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

There just seems to be something wrong about walking. Off the Wharf you can walk down steps off Westferry and save about 1km and a good few mins - it just seems wrong

Wrong? Positively abhorrent.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Walking is absolutely fine - it's the pushing a bike that I can't be doing with.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Walking is absolutely fine - it's the pushing a bike that I can't be doing with.

Walking is fine. Pushing a bike is fine. It's the dragging along a narrow pavement behind zombie pedestrians you can't overtake that I can't be doing with.

Did that today. Won't be doing it again.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Took me 3.5 minutes to cross the bridge this morning. Not sure how long it used to take when the bridge was open (including waiting at the lights) but probably at least 1.5 minutes on average. Wouldn't be surprised if you get some of the remaining 2 mins back on empty LRR/NKR; I really can't understand the fuss...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    TGOTB wrote:
    Took me 3.5 minutes to cross the bridge this morning. Not sure how long it used to take when the bridge was open (including waiting at the lights) but probably at least 1.5 minutes on average. Wouldn't be surprised if you get some of the remaining 2 mins back on empty LRR/NKR; I really can't understand the fuss...

Momentum. And speedplay cleats.

On a related matter, West Hill: all is forgiven. When traffic is OK (after 8pm), you're a lovely "hill" to climb, 1.6km+ of steady 2% grade without ramps and a sensible traffic light pattern. Not really a false flat, not so steep as to be particularly hard, but just right to feel like you're really working well. Putney Hill is a crueler, more demanding mistress, just that little bit steeper to make keeping up with the car traffic on a too-narrow road feel like hard work.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    I'm fascinated by how smooth my bike feels when I remount after walking across the bridge. It's a really strange sensation that I don't notice when I first get on the bike - must be something to do with the transition from walking to cycling (and maybe the absence of traffic when I remount).

After 1 week of walking across the bridge, I think I'll stick with it. It's not that bad and lets me recover enough to give it some extra beans on the NKR/Embankment!

I am frustrated by the (entirely predictable) snails pace of the work on the bridge. 5 working days in and very little achieved. No-one was doing any work at 8am this morning on a beautiful, sunny, dry day. Why are our councils run by morons that allow contractors to spin work out like this? I think they've put the grey wooden partition up to prevent the public seeing how p155 poor their work rate is!
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • cjcp
    TGOTB wrote:

Walking with a bike, walking with a bike and walking with a bike.

This isn't a CX race, laddie :).

Fwiw, the URR -> Wandsworth -> Battersea Bridge route I've been taking is ok.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cjcp wrote:
    In my mind, the commute is *always* a CX race...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    In my mind, the commute is *always* a CX race...
    +1
    LOL
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

My fuss is £200 shoes that do not flex one bit, walking in them is not an option.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

I've been doing the LRR -> Putney Bridge Road -> Armoury Way which chops off a chunk of the A205 and A3. Some good fast roads as well.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I walked across this morning. It was fine.

Are most folks using WB or BB?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    Walked the bridge this morning, no issues. Although I ride to work in Specialized Tahoe's so no £200 carbon soled shoe issues to worry about.

There is the inevitable queue jumping, bike scooting, dawdling person to contend with of course!

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Try Albert Bridge. BB always looks chokka. AB is pleasantly underused.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • okgo
    Today I did URR > Wandsworth > Nine Elms > VB - as short, and as quick as my normal route when the bridge is open.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Or have a spin through Battersea Park and use Chelsea Bridge.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    wandsworth wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Or have a spin through Battersea Park and use Chelsea Bridge.

But not in the wet. When AB was closed for 18 months for painting I went that way. I couldn't believe how much fine grit there is on that road through the park that gets carried up onto the frame and drivetrain when it's wet.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Will give this a whirl tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, all this talk of walking with bikes being "ok" and "it's fine" is worrying. Next thing you know, they'll be swimming and running...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

In the meantime, all this talk of walking with bikes being "ok" and "it's fine" is worrying. Next thing you know, they'll be swimming and running...

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

You know, with all this sunshine, I was going to suggest that people wear those nice tight UV proof long socks when they ride...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    So, Armoury Way is fucking horrible.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    So, Armoury Way is ******* horrible.

Yeah, that bit's a bit pants. I went straight on, past Wandsworth Town station this morning to avoid it. That was pants, too.

Still, it's better than walking.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

You know, with all this sunshine, I was going to suggest that people wear those nice tight UV proof long socks when they ride...

I've also noticed an increasing number of riders with... *gags, but just about suppresses the urge to vomit*... sleeveless tops.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Yeah, that bit's a bit pants. I went straight on, past Wandsworth Town station this morning to avoid it. That was pants, too.

The route I was planning to take, but didn't because PBR was empty and there were a few quick people making good progress was the route I saw on KevEss Strava feed last night.

He turned off PBR at Point Pleasant (after the rail bridge) and then went along Smugglers Way to Wandsworth Bridge ad then back onto Townmead Road / Lots Road. It's probably slow, but it's got to beat Armoury Way.

Also, I came across Vauxhall Bridge this morning because I didn't know where to turn left. The folks coming over the river there don't seem to know about the Millbank Sprint.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • okgo
    Think I've found my chosen route.

http://www.strava.com/routes/659940

So at the end of Cambridge Ave in New Malden you can go under the a3, so it cuts a bit of time there. Took 50 mins on the nose this morning.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    BB was terrible today at 0800, totally packed, no room for even centre-line filtering, and the right turn onto the embankment was dodgy, really should have stayed on the CS8 all the way in. I actually like Armoury Way/Swandon Way: lanes are wide enough that you can filter like a boss and/or fakenger.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

The route I was planning to take, but didn't because PBR was empty and there were a few quick people making good progress was the route I saw on KevEss Strava feed last night.

He turned off PBR at Point Pleasant (after the rail bridge) and then went along Smugglers Way to Wandsworth Bridge ad then back onto Townmead Road / Lots Road. It's probably slow, but it's got to beat Armoury Way.

Also, I came across Vauxhall Bridge this morning because I didn't know where to turn left. The folks coming over the river there don't seem to know about the Millbank Sprint.....

That way misses about 5 sets of lights so not necessarily slower.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Does look at right mess, I came past today picking up the towpath at Putney for a spin after Physo.

Was a few vans doing U turns as they hadn't noticed the signs I guess.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Another meet-up with Edds shortly before Putney bridge, and the chance to compare another route against my walking over Putney Bridge. This time he went Putney Bridge Road, Armory Way, then a secret-looking suburban cut-through to and across the gyratory (underpass?), York Road and across Battersea Bridge.
    Check out Strava Flyby acitivity no. 169712306 .
    By the time he got over the bridge on to NKR, I was just passing Albert Bridge, i.e. about 400-500 metres ahead. We met up again at Wauxhall Br, he said he'd had a great run of lights his side, and I was held up by some temp lights just after PB.
    score:
    PB 2
    WB 0
    BB 0
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html