Putney Bridge closed for 3 months?

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
Saw a sign today on the ride in that it's to be closed for 3 months from Monday 14th July.

Is that right? That's going to cause gridlock in SW London.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yes that's correct. Its closed for cars, but accessible by pedestrians (and cyclists if they dismount and walk).

Walking over with a bike is a pain, but I would think the roads leading to and from the bridge will be a lot quieter, so could be an opportunity for nicer cycling.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    yep, apparently a bus drove into it earlier in the week as well.

Still open to pedestrians so you can push the bike across if you're cycling.
  • clarkey cat
    Great - many thanks. Looking forward to some Silly Cleat Racing
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Great - many thanks. Looking forward to some Silly Cleat Racing
    MTB shoes and SPDs will win that every time.
    Besides you haven't been here for three months where the hell have you been?
  • clarkey cat
    Well last week I was in Yorkshire. Week before, can't remember.

How are you?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Here's TfL getting a head start on the bridge repairs, using a bus for initial investigative work

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 89381.html
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    How are you?
    Glad I don't go anywhere near Putney Bridge. :D
    Otherwise all good.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It's going to be interesting - I suspect chaos for the first few days, but then may make the whole area less clogged up for a while. I'd also guess Hammersmith Bridge and others will bear the brunt of the traffic volumes.

I am surprised at how late these signs have gone up. I read about the closure maybe 6-8 weeks ago and I thought there might have been a longer publicity campaign.

It desperately needed resurfacing - heading north on it is beyond a joke now.

It will, however, reopen for bikes on the Ride London weekend.
  • kingtubby
    kingtubby Posts: 45
    Agree with marcusjb heading north on this bridge is almost an off-road experience and going south needs better traffic management getting bikes to the right hand lane for the Lower Richmond road.
  • marcusjb
    I have been unable to find out anything about whether they will be changing any layout/lanes etc. as part of these works.

Getting across to the right hand lane can be challenging in both directions, even for the experienced and confident rider.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I think it is just resurfacing and protective measures. Have not seen any mention of layout changes. I'm inclined to be skeptical of the 3 month time frame but at least it should improve air quality in Putney.

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/arc ... n_July_14/
  • drlodge wrote:
    but I would think the roads leading to and from the bridge will be a lot quieter, so could be an opportunity for nicer cycling.

and everywhere else in SW London will be a total sh * tstorm
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    drlodge wrote:
    but I would think the roads leading to and from the bridge will be a lot quieter, so could be an opportunity for nicer cycling.

True. I wonder where the sh1tstorm/empty roads boundary will be...given Wandsworth Bridge meets my route into London on the New Kings Road, may be I'll get a mile or two of quiet roads if that :(
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

True. I wonder where the sh1tstorm/empty roads boundary will be...given Wandsworth Bridge meets my route into London on the New Kings Road, may be I'll get a mile or two of quiet roads if that :(

hehe, yes quite. You wonder where that massive volume of traffic that goes over PB is gonna go?
    There is obv. some self-regulation i.e., less traffic will attempt the journey / more will avoid the area but still.
    I'm a Hammersmith Bridge man (Richmond-->High St Ken), so expecting a bit of wash-back there maybe...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Still not decided on an alternative route. Will most likely try out both Hammersmith and WB Bridges.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • marcusjb
    cjcp wrote:
    Still not decided on an alternative route. Will most likely try out both Hammersmith and WB Bridges.

I am fairly certain that I will stick to putney bridge and walk across, I still think it will be faster than having to carve through the extra traffic on other bridges. Happy to be proven wrong though.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    When parliament Sq was shut I walked the first morning and it felt very long and slow and that must be shorter than Putney Bridge... though you will gain on surrounding roads
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Silly Commuter Duathlon Racing?
  • clarkey cat
    Think I'll just go up the A3 and stay south of the river until Southwark Bridge
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Will they get it in a rideable state by the time the London Surrey Classic goes over it on August 10th?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,646
    Yeah.
  • cjcp
    Well, bollocks to Hammersmith Bridge. Tried it this morning, and the Loop of Almost Certain Doom that is the roundabout at the end of it - Talgarth? - was no fun at all. Took a wrong turn and ended up in Kensington, rather than Fulham.

The Fulham Palace Road is less than ideal, too.

So, WBR it is, or a walk over Putney Bridge, the thought of which makes my skin crawl.

This should be a fun three months.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I reckon a lot of people will be better off staying south of the river. Wandsworth bridge froad is narrow and will be horrible. Nine elms will become the new embankment.
  • cjcp
    Ok, so perhaps the Universe didn't implode in the way I thought it might.

Walked over Putney Bridge. Not yet ready for a new commute route. These things take time.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cjcp wrote:
    Ok, so perhaps the Universe didn't implode in the way I thought it might.

Walked over Putney Bridge. Not yet ready for a new commute route. These things take time.
    LRR was deserted (apart from the impromptu bus station just before the bridge), NKR was deserted, and Putney Bridge took 2 mins to cross (I timed it). That will probably get a bit longer when they actually start digging up the road, but at the moment I reckon it's an improvement...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    I agree. The walk was OK. Not nearly as bad as the walk when they close the road in front of parliament. I was a bit earlier than usual today so I may jut have been lucky. I'll stick with it and see how I feel after a week of it. Plan B is WBR minus the One Way System (going to try cutting through on Smugglers Way).
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Hated the idea of walking so took the A3 into Wandsworth and over WBR which all worked well.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Ped access to the pavement is a bit narrow (feel quite bad for the civilians on foot getting jostled with so many bikes), and when they properly stop cyclists from riding as soon as we're past the barriers, it will just be awful. A3 for me as well I think. Will test the reverse tonight. Otherwise, it will be CS7 (cue ominous music).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Putney Bridge is way off my route, but I often go over Wandsworth Bridge from Garratt Lane. It's very variable: sometimes busy and fast moving, sometimes empty, sometimes gridlocked. I always turn right at the north end, towards Lots Road as WBR is too narrow, so it's full gas off the roundabout then swing across to the right hand lane as you crest the bridge/when there's a gap. Quite invigorating.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wandsworth Bridge was MAYHEM this morning. Even earlier than normal, it was gridlock. Not nice to cycle in...