Tour de France Spoilers thread 2014

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Porte put over 70 seconds into Nibili in the last comparable TT that they did. I'd expect the same this time.
    Don't think the gap will be that big. Nibali only lost 20s to Wiggins in the lumpy 54k ITT in last year's Giro

But Wiggo was ill, wasn't he?

Could be an exciting TT if Nibali fails to maintain a big gap.
    True. Still well enough to finish second in the TT but point taken.
    Nibali may have been injured during that final 2012 TdF TT, though*, so I'm not sure a 70s besting by Porte is representative of current form.

I hope it's still a contest but I fear it's not. I don't particularly care who wins but I want exciting stages.

* complained of a strained calf muscle after the Peyragudes stage

*Hypothetical episode of Mastermind*

Magnus Magnessossosnsosnsososnson to JG: What was the average speed of the peleton during stage 15 of the 1982 Tdf?

:mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Stage 15: Monday, July 19, 1982, Manosque - Orcières Merlette, 208 km.

1st Pascal Simon: 6hr 34min 41sec

31.12 kph. roughly.

:wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Google is not allowed in Mastermind. And your rough figure is very rough, it should be 31.62 km/h.

I would be extremely impressed if anyone could genuinely recall the figures.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    No posts for quite a few days now?
    I would hazard a guess that everybody thinks that it is all over?

I would just like to put it on the record that I think Nibali is making the mountains look easy. Possibly too easy.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Who else was screaming at the end of yesterday's stage? I was out the seat shouting to get to the line... poor Jack Bauer he was in tears afterwards and I bet that will be on his mind for a long, long time
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Who else was screaming at the end of yesterday's stage? I was out the seat shouting to get to the line... poor Jack Bauer he was in tears afterwards and I bet that will be on his mind for a long, long time

Completely! It could barely have been closer. At least Sagan failed to cross the line first again.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Can't help thinking this has been a poor rest day. Nobody has given expletive riddled responses to questions from journos about doping or anything........ :wink:

Didn't LeMond describe Nibali as riding "out of this world" and making it look like a training ride? - just saying.
    Go on, someone "nibble" this threads gone a bit quiet :twisted:
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Paging DDD....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • pblakeney
    vimfuego wrote:
    Didn't LeMond describe Nibali as riding "out of this world" and making it look like a training ride? - just saying.

I did.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I would just like to put it on the record that I think Nibali is making the mountains look easy. Possibly too easy.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    PBlakeney wrote:
    vimfuego wrote:

I did.
    PBlakeney wrote:

He's really not.

If he wasn't beating the likes of Pinot and Bardet it'd be more unusual.

He didn't make that much time on the break on Friday after he attacked, with Konig of Nett App endura managing to keep him at 10 seconds. That's not particularly scintillating stuff.
  • pblakeney
    He didn't make that much time on the break on Friday after he attacked, with Konig of Nett App endura managing to keep him at 10 seconds. That's not particularly scintillating stuff.
    But it is not only them, it is also people thought to be contenders for the Polka Jersey.
    And the time is not what is raising eyebrows but how easily he is doing it. Everyone else is blowing out of their proverbial whist he is on a cafe run.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PBlakeney wrote:
    But it is not only them, it is also people thought to be contenders for the Polka Jersey.
    And the time is not what is raising eyebrows but how easily he is doing it. Everyone else is blowing out of their proverbial whist he is on a cafe run.

He's not sharing the stage end points with Froome and Contador for a start - he's picking up lots of KOM points by default simply because there is no GC competition left.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pblakeney
    Rolf F wrote:
    He's not sharing the stage end points with Froome and Contador for a start - he's picking up lots of KOM points by default simply because there is no GC competition left.
    Again, people seem to be missing my point.
    With Froome and Contador out, it is no surprise that he is in Yellow.
    That he is in Yellow, it is no surprise that he has the Polka Jersey.

My point is the ease (not time) with which he is dropping those who should be his competition for both jerseys.

He could at least have the good grace to make it look difficult. We will see in the steep slopes of the Pyrenees.

I truly hope that my fears are unfounded but his performance is just too reminiscent of the past for me not to be cynical.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rolf_f
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Again, people seem to be missing my point.
    With Froome and Contador out, it is no surprise that he is in Yellow.
    That he is in Yellow, it is no surprise that he has the Polka Jersey.

My point is the ease (not time) with which he is dropping those who should be his competition for both jerseys.

He could at least have the good grace to make it look difficult. We will see in the steep slopes of the Pyrenees.

I truly hope that my fears are unfounded but his performance is just too reminiscent of the past for me not to be cynical.

You need to make your point less ambiguously then! :lol:

Nibali isn't really making it any easier than Froome and Wiggo did. There's usually a few GC contenders and then the non contenders looking very slow in comparison. Just because Nibali is on his own doesn't alter that. Is your point is that Nibalis performance in this years Tour looks anomalous or that the GC contenders always look too good as a whole?

I'm more impressed by the insanely remarkable performance of 42 year old Mr Horner - how good he is at blowing away riders of all ages on all gradients.......
  • pblakeney
    Rolf F wrote:
    ...You need to make your point less ambiguously then! :lol: ....

I thought this was fairly unambiguous.
    PBlakeney wrote:

If you watched the highlights show last night then there was enough questions asked and skirted around, that I am far from the only person raising their eyebrows.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rolf_f
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

PBlakeney wrote:

If you watched the highlights show last night then there was enough questions asked and skirted around, that I am far from the only person raising their eyebrows.

I think you are missing my point! :wink:
  • pblakeney
    Rolf F wrote:
    I think you are missing my point! :wink:
    No. I got your point. I am just trying to be positive on a new day and drop the subject.
    Lets just hope the subjects aren't positive.

I am now moving on with hope in my heart.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • vimfuego
    ah that's better.... some lively debate.

Hopefully another good day today - must say, I hope the French boys go well - I've got no time for Valverde (a wheel-sucking drugs cheat) and the Bardet/Pinot battle is pretty fascinating. Enough teams looking for stage wins to salvage their tour too, so it could be an interesting day or three.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

PBlakeney wrote:

Raised eyebrows is the default position for many cycling fans/observers. I think Nibali's performance, however, is not deserving in isolation of suspicion: as others have pointed out he is taking seconds not minutes out of riders on MTFs who have historically been no better than Top 10 fodder at GTs (Valverde, TVG, JVDB) and one or two bright young hopes (Pinot, Bardet). Yes, he looks to be taking it relatively easy whereas Peraud for example looked to be on the limit keeping up with Nibali but how a rider looks is not an absolute guide to how they are feeling or how much they have left in the tank.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Get double points for MTFs don't you?
  • rubertoe
    Yes rick, you do.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Get double points for MTFs don't you?
    Yes. Poor old J-Rod.

I think Pinot will need to drop Peraud today or he may lose his podium spot. I'm pretty sure Peraud is the better TT-er.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    It's a good job Richie Porte's super domestique role was never called upon. Kiryienka's looking good, though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's a good job Richie Porte's super domestique role was never called upon. Kiryienka's looking good, though.

I did think this myself but as a domestique he would bury himself at the start of the climbs to help Froome. He's now (or was!) in the position where he has to climb the whole thing at GC pace. Clearly he can't do that bit.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • vimfuego
    Well - a nice shake up on the GC podium (bye bye Alejandro! :D - just hope it lasts beyond the TT).

And after 3 hard days in the pyrenees, Nibali charges up Hautacam like a scolded whippet.............

?
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mrs EKE isn't a cycling fan but watched the Lance Pharmstrong documentary with me the other day. She saw the end of todays stage and has declared "Nibali is on the juice" after seeing the ease at which he accelerates and how relaxed he looks when everyone else is in bits.
    For a novice cycling watcher, I think she has called it very accurately.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    Slanderous EKE, but I wholeheartedly agree with Mrs EKE

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Anyone else getting a bit bored of Wiggins soundbites?
    Competes on the track, suddenly he's done with the road and the track feels like family. It's the sort of snarky stuff I expect from Lewis Hamilton when he has a bad day, rather than BW
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    Anyone else getting a bit bored of Wiggins soundbites?
    Competes on the track, suddenly he's done with the road and the track feels like family. It's the sort of snarky stuff I expect from Lewis Hamilton when he has a bad day, rather than BW
    I seem to have missed Wiggo's soundbites. What has he said?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • pblakeney
    It is is like watching a replay from the 90's,

I stand by all my earlier posts, slanderous or not.

Good race for second though!
    Veronese68 wrote: