Tour de France Spoilers thread 2014

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
You lot not interested this year, then? I swing by here way less than I used to, on account of me no longer being able to commute by bike ( :( ), but I thought I'd come see what your thoughts were and seemingly there's no thread!

So, I'll kick off.

Pretty dull stage today (stage 4), but I'm actually now concerned for Froome. Tomorrow's going to kill his wrist.

Good to see a Tommy Voekler on the attack again, even if it was doomed to failure. I hope he grabs a stage at some point.

I've also decided I'm no longer gutted for Cav, but am pee'd off with him. His reckless riding has spoilt a massive chunk of excitement at sprint finished. A regular Cav/Kittel battle would have been fun.

Comments

• vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Should be carnage today - looks like being wet. Van Avermaet for yellow?
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • jonny_trousers
    vimfuego wrote:

I love that they've included this stage. It should really mix things up. I reckon Valverde will try to put some time into his GC rivals.
  • look in road cycling - pro race subforum.
  • jonny_trousers
    look in road cycling - pro race subforum.

For what?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I still think Coquard caused that crash. I may be wrong but it looked like he swung right into Gerrans just before they tangled. Cav and Gerrans were tete a tete at that point but still upright then Coquard bounced off Gerrans and set the crash off.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • look in road cycling - pro race subforum.

For what?

Threads on the Tour de France! Oddly enough most people that are interested in the tour de France post there, not in commuting.
  • jonny_trousers

For what?

Threads on the Tour de France! Oddly enough most people that are interested in the tour de France post there, not in commuting.

For as long as I've been visiting this site there has been a commuting Tour de France thread, which suits many of us better. It's a little more laid back and chatty than the threads in pro race. Oddly enough, many of those who ride to work by bike are interested in cycling beyond commuting.
  • jonny_trousers
    I still think Coquard caused that crash. I may be wrong but it looked like he swung right into Gerrans just before they tangled. Cav and Gerrans were tete a tete at that point but still upright then Coquard bounced off Gerrans and set the crash off.

You could well be right and I can understand why Cav leant into Gerrans the way he did. It was dangerous, but he wanted the stage so badly that rationality won't have come into it. I'm still frustrated by it, though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

You could well be right and I can understand why Cav leant into Gerrans the way he did. It was dangerous, but he wanted the stage so badly that rationality won't have come into it. I'm still frustrated by it, though.

Just to add to the possible controversy: I swear he looked like he was smiling afterwards.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Funnily enough, I was just thinking we haven't got the traditional 'Spoliers' thread.

The TdF seems to be having more influence, as evidenced by a little girl of about six on a scooter who shouted at me "Allez, allez, allez" near Putney Common yesterday evening :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

For what?

For as long as I've been visiting this site there has been a commuting Tour de France thread, which suits many of us better. It's a little more laid back and chatty than the threads in pro race. Oddly enough, many of those who ride to work by bike are interested in cycling beyond commuting.
    I'm with Jonny, it all gets a bit too in depth and serious in Pro Race and I don't know enough about it. The threads over here are easier for me to digest. I'm interested in it, but not obsessed.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    vimfuego wrote:

I love that they've included this stage. It should really mix things up. I reckon Valverde will try to put some time into his GC rivals.

I agree - makes it more of an all round challenge rather than a climb/TT dominated event. Looking forward to a good stage today.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    Spoliers?

I am merely pointing it out.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I still think Coquard caused that crash. I may be wrong but it looked like he swung right into Gerrans just before they tangled. Cav and Gerrans were tete a tete at that point but still upright then Coquard bounced off Gerrans and set the crash off.

I'm glad someone else saw the same thing that I did then
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • jonny_trousers
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Spoliers?

You ain't from round here, are ya?

The TdF 'spoliers' typo has a long history that goes back many, many years. Not sure who started it.
  • jonny_trousers

I'm glad someone else saw the same thing that I did then

I'm going to have to watch it again. I wonder why Cav apologised. It's not really his style even if he had been at fault.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Spoliers?

The TdF 'spoliers' typo has a long history that goes back many, many years. Not sure who started it.
    I am fairly certain that I pointed out the error the last time too.
    I am sure it was originally a simple error but for discussion purposes we will consider it to be a joke.
    Repeating a joke will not make it funny.
    I am not being pedantic or humourless, simply trying to get everyone to improve their output.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • jonny_trousers
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Spoliers?

I am fairly certain that I pointed out the error the last time too.
    I am sure it was originally a simple error but for discussion purposes we will consider it to be a joke.
    Repeating a joke will not make it funny.
    I am not being pedantic or humourless, simply trying to get everyone to improve their output.

Not a joke, a tradition. If you pointed it out last year I'd have thought you'd have learnt your lesson by now. ;)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I thought "spoiler" in the thread title was just a warning that results may be discussed so don't click if you are going to watch it later. It doesn't mean you have to discuss results.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No idea whether it's likely or not, but would be great to see Spartacus give put the hammer down and see who goes with him.

Does Froome need stabilisers?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonny_trousers
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I thought "spoiler" in the thread title was just a warning that results may be discussed so don't click if you are going to watch it later. It doesn't mean you have to discuss results.

It's about the deliberate typo 'spolier'.

And yeah, I want to see Cancellara light it up.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm with Jonny, it all gets a bit too in depth and serious in Pro Race and I don't know enough about it. The threads over here are easier for me to digest. I'm interested in it, but not obsessed.

Pro Race does get a tad heavy but I did venture over there during the first days racing on Saturday as both littlies were out so I had the luxury or uninterrupted racing on the TV plus the ipad 8)

It was ok to be honest, I think there are a few more 'refuges' over there during a major event like the TDF so you can get away with a bit more light hearted banter than normal, some of them do take it way too seriously though :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pblakeney
    Not a joke, a tradition.
    In which case we need better traditoins.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    And Froome's out after crashing another 2 times :(
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Get in! Froome is out! I can support tem sky again. don't know why but I just don't like the bloke :D
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • jonny_trousers
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    Get in! Froome is out! I can support tem sky again. don't know why but I just don't like the bloke :D

Ha! That'll teach me to check on the thread that I created before watching today's stage. What a numpty! Maybe if I'd written 'spoilers' I might have understood it better. :roll:
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    MacLeod113 wrote:

Do you think Wiggo is looking up "schadenfreude" in his dictionary ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • jonny_trousers
    fat_tail wrote:
    MacLeod113 wrote:

Do you think Wiggo is looking up "schadenfreude" in his dictionary ?

Oh, if only Wiggo had been in the team. He'd be turning himself inside-out to prove a point.

I can't see Richie Porte bringing glory to Sky.

It's Contador's for the losing then...
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    cjcp wrote:

I think they fitted his Gyro-wheel in backwards... :roll:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    IWANTBLUE wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I think they fitted his Gyro-wheel in backwards... :roll:

All went a bit pear-shaped, that.

Still, opens up the prospect of some excitement in the mountains. VdB will surely be tempted to attack too to nab a podium place.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."