Tour de France Spoilers thread 2014

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If Nibbles keeps the jersey all the way to France or wins it, it'll have been a rubbish tour.
    I suppose it has been a rubbish tour then as they have been in France for a few days now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Delighted that Sagan blew it today. I just can't like the bloke and his little interview with Ned Boulting in the highlights show did nothing to change my opinion of him. He comes across as charmless and arrogant.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Delighted that Sagan blew it today. I just can't like the bloke and his little interview with Ned Boulting in the highlights show did nothing to change my opinion of him. He comes across as charmless and arrogant.

But in his defence he isn't an English speaker.... Could you charm someone in Slovakian?!
  • jonny_trousers
    antsmithmk wrote:

But in his defence he isn't an English speaker.... Could you charm someone in Slovakian?!

I think if I spoke Slovakian to the degree he speaks English I could come across as less arrogant, yes. I get why he's arrogant: he's a sportsman and he's an incredible cyclist, but I just can't warm to hi, I'm afraid, so I can't support him.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,696
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The one time I posted in Pro-Race I got banned from the site for a week...

He's alive!
    1336828248770.png
    Now, can I just say that when I posted this, it was a large and spectacular picture of Brian Blessed in full Hawkman battle garb, to celebrate DDD's return to the forum.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I think Nibali would be happy enough to see someone else in yellow for a bit.
    if he loses yellow it will be to Contador or Porte. He'll never be in yellow again.

He knows he has to hold on.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • jonny_trousers
    Daz555 wrote:
    if he loses yellow it will be to Contador or Porte. He'll never be in yellow again.

Agreed. He's going to do everything in his power to hang on.
  • jonny_trousers
    Daz555 wrote:

Um, how do you delete posts again? :oops:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 wrote:

Lol. Yeah didn't see that one coming. Looks like he'll be out of yellow for a day. Just hope Contador doesn't end up in yellow next cos then Nibs really won't ever get it back!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have to admit I did enjoy watching Tony Martin time trialling up and down a mountain.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonny_trousers
    I have to admit I did enjoy watching Tony Martin time trialling up and down a mountain.

+1. He always comes across as such a nice bloke and thoroughly deserves a stage win. Just a shame his victory will barely be noticed in the sports pages of his country's newspapers.

As an aside, I was really put of David Millar as a result of his little interview with Ned Boulting on the ITV4 highlights show last week. He came across as arrogant and the feeling sorry for himself for being forced to dope routine's wearing a little thin. I'm sure I saw his nose grow when he talked about the time trial stage in the tour that he won clean, just to see if he could.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Die Panzerwagon is Fricken Awesome
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    To refer back to a previos "thread" on here - looks like Wiggins will be staying with Sky next year (article on the cycling weekly site today) focusing on Paris-Roubaix and the Hour.

+1 on the Tony Martin comments, the bloke is a machine & works hard for the team rather than just being a one trick TT pony. Great to see him take the stage.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    WOW

Bye bye Bertie (broken frame?!)

So Brailsford was clearly right not to take Wiggins. Froome would go better without him & he'd never live with Contador in the mountains...... oh hang on ..... :wink:
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Ref Bertie's bike - there must be a few twitchy butts at Spesh - a frame failure taking out one of the favourites wouldn't be great publicity
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ref Bertie's bike - there must be a few twitchy butts at Spesh - a frame failure taking out one of the favourites wouldn't be great publicity
    There's a picture & a few words here in the paper's live blog http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -live.html suggesting that it wasn't the frame, unless he swapped bikes and replaced what looks like the number on the seat post. (scroll down to the entry at 15:40)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Daz555 wrote:

Yeah.
    Never a bad idea to let it go to someone who's not a real threat.
    Let their team do the work and let them do the interviews.
    When you think how important recovery is, even an hour a day delay in getting back to the hotel soon adds ups.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    CiB wrote:
    There's a picture & a few words here in the paper's live blog http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -live.html suggesting that it wasn't the frame, unless he swapped bikes and replaced what looks like the number on the seat post. (scroll down to the entry at 15:40)
    According to reports on the highlights - He had two crashes and was on Roche's bike for the second.
    Allegedly, his hands slipped off the bars and down he went.
    Broken tibia if I heard correctly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Daz555
    They are safe. Contador was not riding the broken bike in the pictures - for a start it is spotlessly clean - well dirty enough to have been sat on top of a team car at most.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/ ... ash_336328
  • jonny_trousers
    We'll I didn't see that coming! Poor Contador!

I almost feel sorry for Nibali now. He's in great shape and it'll be viewed as the Tour de France without competition.

How's Nibali's TT form?
  • jonny_trousers
    Just to add a chapeau to Alberto Contador for riding up a mountain with a broken leg before calling it a day.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    from (almost) the horse's mouth...
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 31225.html
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Thanks, interesting reading...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    We'll I didn't see that coming! Poor Contador!

I almost feel sorry for Nibali now. He's in great shape and it'll be viewed as the Tour de France without competition.

How's Nibali's TT form?

Porte's probably a bit better, but that's about it really.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    All I can hope for now is attack, attack, attack.

with so many Frenchies in the top 10 it would be nice to see them go for it, but like the insanely funny ITV podcast most of them will just be happy trying to get on the podium and wont attack Nibali at all.

could be a good day to 'work at home' today to watch it...
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Porte put over 70 seconds into Nibili in the last comparable TT that they did. I'd expect the same this time.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rubertoe wrote:
    Porte put over 70 seconds into Nibili in the last comparable TT that they did. I'd expect the same this time.
    Don't think the gap will be that big. Nibali only lost 20s to Wiggins in the lumpy 54k ITT in last year's Giro
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonny_trousers
    JonGinge wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Don't think the gap will be that big. Nibali only lost 20s to Wiggins in the lumpy 54k ITT in last year's Giro

But Wiggo was ill, wasn't he?

Could be an exciting TT if Nibali fails to maintain a big gap.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

But Wiggo was ill, wasn't he?

Could be an exciting TT if Nibali fails to maintain a big gap.
    True. Still well enough to finish second in the TT but point taken.
    Nibali may have been injured during that final 2012 TdF TT, though*, so I'm not sure a 70s besting by Porte is representative of current form.

I hope it's still a contest but I fear it's not. I don't particularly care who wins but I want exciting stages.

* complained of a strained calf muscle after the Peyragudes stage
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonny_trousers
    ^ agreed. In a way I wish G Thomas could be let off the leash to go for a stage win, but then I've no idea if there is a stage left that could suit him.