Tour de France Spoilers thread 2014

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I thought "spoiler" in the thread title was just a warning that results may be discussed so don't click if you are going to watch it later. It doesn't mean you have to discuss results.

It's about the deliberate typo 'spolier'.
    :oops: Shows how observant I am, not noticed that this year or previously. Good job I'm not a proof reader.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    cjcp wrote:
    Does Froome need stabilisers?

"What happens when the Froomedog fall down, kids?"
    "He stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."

Apologies.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    arran77 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm with Jonny, it all gets a bit too in depth and serious in Pro Race and I don't know enough about it. The threads over here are easier for me to digest. I'm interested in it, but not obsessed.

Pro Race does get a tad heavy but I did venture over there during the first days racing on Saturday as both littlies were out so I had the luxury or uninterrupted racing on the TV plus the ipad 8)

It was ok to be honest, I think there are a few more 'refuges' over there during a major event like the TDF so you can get away with a bit more light hearted banter than normal, some of them do take it way too seriously though :wink:

I've always thought Pro Race is a place where you have to serve your time, speak quietly and deferentially for a few years, know your Belgium neo-pros, your one day classics' history inside out, and be able to spot the difference between a Colombian climber and a Basque climber from a col away before they let you offer an opinion.

I think it would be fun to pitch in with some questions like "when Sky ride at a proper race like the Olympics, who does Wiggins ride for?" and "wouldn't it be better to make some of the short day-long races part of the Tour de Italy?". You know, the sort of thing to encourage a bit of debate... :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I thought "spoiler" in the thread title was just a warning that results may be discussed so don't click if you are going to watch it later. It doesn't mean you have to discuss results.

It's about the deliberate typo 'spolier'.

And yeah, I want to see Cancellara light it up.

:D

but seriously :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    why not show them some of your family photos from the Iron-boy event?
    they love a good sleeveless top and long socks
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    We'll I never! What a ride from Nibali! This could be quite a Tour. No more methodical, mechanical Sky and Contador needing to make up time. Should be exciting in the mountains.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    arran77 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm with Jonny, it all gets a bit too in depth and serious in Pro Race and I don't know enough about it. The threads over here are easier for me to digest. I'm interested in it, but not obsessed.

Pro Race does get a tad heavy but I did venture over there during the first days racing on Saturday as both littlies were out so I had the luxury or uninterrupted racing on the TV plus the ipad 8)

It was ok to be honest, I think there are a few more 'refuges' over there during a major event like the TDF so you can get away with a bit more light hearted banter than normal, some of them do take it way too seriously though :wink:

I've always thought Pro Race is a place where you have to serve your time, speak quietly and deferentially for a few years, know your Belgium neo-pros, your one day classics' history inside out, and be able to spot the difference between a Colombian climber and a Basque climber from a col away before they let you offer an opinion.

I think it would be fun to pitch in with some questions like "when Sky ride at a proper race like the Olympics, who does Wiggins ride for?" and "wouldn't it be better to make some of the short day-long races part of the Tour de Italy?". You know, the sort of thing to encourage a bit of debate... :twisted:

Sounds like a dare, I double dare you :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Stopped off at Evans on the way home and noticed they had Team Sky shirts with "Va Va Froome" on them. I suspect they will either be heavily discounted or being used as workshop rags today.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    all that BEFORE he even hit the cobbles.....
    Shame to see him out but TBH I've never been able to warm to Froome in the same way as Wiggins, Thomas, Cavendish etc (even Millar who I'm still conflicted about) - no doubt the lack of loyalty in 2012 (and lack of personality) has something to do with it. I know Porte is supposed to be Sky's leader now, but the whole dynamic of the race has changed - no point Sky trying to control things in the mountains to launch Porte (who won't have the legs anyway I reckon). Hopefully Thomas will get a shot at a stage win now.

Great performance from Nibali yesterday and good to see the pavé included, makes the Tour more of a test of an all round rider rather than just the usual climbing & TT requirement. Great stuff!

Knew they should have taken Wiggins too...... :wink:
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • jonny_trousers
    I'd love to see Wiggo ride for another team next season and go head to head with Froome in the Tour, but it's not going to happen. I reckon Sir Wiggo has the rest of his career mapped out and it involves Sky.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    weren't Garmin talking to him?
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    vimfuego wrote:

You're the second person to say that
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • vimfuego wrote:

yes about his 1000 battery issue ba dum tush!!!

Sorry MRS couldnt resist :oops:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

The one time I posted in Pro-Race I got banned from the site for a week...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Spoliers?

I am merely pointing it out.

You ain't from round here, are ya?

The TdF 'spoliers' typo has a long history that goes back many, many years. Not sure who started it.
    I am fairly certain that I pointed out the error the last time too.
    I am sure it was originally a simple error but for discussion purposes we will consider it to be a joke.
    Repeating a joke will not make it funny.
    I am not being pedantic or humourless, simply trying to get everyone to improve their output.

Guys, settle down and settle in, let me tell you a story of the legendary DonDaddyD. You see way back in July 2009 the Progenitor of The Power Awesome (tm) created this thread, and it has now become the legend and tradition of which you speak. I thank you. 8)

That said, don't read my posts in that thread - oh my god I was so green back then.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this Tour. Nibali has gone too early, and it should be attack attack attack, but I think the best GC riders showed up for the Giro this year, that or some up and coming youngsters is going to win. My money is still on Contador.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Now. To be fair. There's a bit more to that story that you're letting on.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    I'd love to see Wiggo ride for another team next season and go head to head with Froome in the Tour, but it's not going to happen. I reckon Sir Wiggo has the rest of his career mapped out and it involves Sky.

Orica Greenedge apparently
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • arran77
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Spill the beans then :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I the original 'spoliers' thread is legendary.

I think this tour is also going to be epic.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Exactly the kind of thing that I wouldn't dare post in Pro Race...

Wasn't Team Sky set up *specifically* to provide a British tour winner? If so shouldn't they really be trying to develop Thomas rather than working on getting an Aussie onto the podium? Unless they've moved beyond their initial goal and decided to become like any other pro team, just based in Britain.

I don't hold it against them, if they have. It's just a bit of a shame.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    Exactly the kind of thing that I wouldn't dare post in Pro Race...

Wasn't Team Sky set up *specifically* to provide a British tour winner? If so shouldn't they really be trying to develop Thomas rather than working on getting an Aussie onto the podium? Unless they've moved beyond their initial goal and decided to become like any other pro team, just based in Britain.

I don't hold it against them, if they have. It's just a bit of a shame.

Yeah the Brit element of pro cycling nowadays has added a whole new type of mouth frothing which isn't great.

Fairly logical reasons why Wiggins wasn't included - namely he upsets everyone on the Froome team - he's not in good enough shape to win himself - and he's just not very good at being a domestique for more than a day, he just struggles with keeping his head in it.

All the people clamouring for wiggins after yesterday also forget how bad he is in the wet.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    arran77 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Came out all guns blazing on why Armstrong was innocent or something like that IIRC
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Came out all guns blazing on why Armstrong was innocent or something like that IIRC

Now that I would have liked to have seen, the mans an arrogant, obnoxious tw@t, Armstrong that is :wink:

seanoconn
  • tailwindhome
    arran77 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

T'was more like running in, mooning and running back out again.

Good times.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Heard the same, but how would that fit in with any track goals for Rio?

So one of Contador's domestiques is out, too. Will be good to see Niblets, AC, and Porte go at it. But wonder if the likes of Rolland and TJVG will take advantage of the weakened teams.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonny_trousers
    cjcp wrote:

Heard the same, but how would that fit in with any track goals for Rio?

Yeah, I read that too, but I still reckon he'll stick with Sky. They'll keep him on a good wage for his media profile and let him train for Rio. No one else - understandably - would do that. It does look a little bit like he's lost the fire in his belly since winning the TdF. Apart from anything, I'm sure he'd be happier wearing Rapha.
  • jonny_trousers
    cjcp wrote:
    So one of Contador's domestiques is out, too. Will be good to see Niblets, AC, and Porte go at it. But wonder if the likes of Rolland and TJVG will take advantage of the weakened teams.

I'm not sure it'll affect Contador too badly. He doesn't seem to rely on super domestiques the way Sky riders do. And I really can't see Porte mixing it up with those guys. Although he's been time trialling pretty well.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    DonDaddyD wrote:

He's alive!
    1336828248770.png
  • DonDaddyD
    arran77 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I don't believe Lance took drugs and never will
    cjcp wrote:

If Nibbles keeps the jersey all the way to France or wins it, it'll have been a rubbish tour. The guy has a target on his back and it should be attack, attack, attack to crack him. I'm hoping some riders come of age in this Tour it's time for a few faces to come of age/emerge.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    I think Nibali would be happy enough to see someone else in yellow for a bit.