Tour de France Stage 3 Cambridge-Londres *Spoiler*

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Maybe a game of "Eye Spy" like we used to do in the car on long journeys?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pottssteve
    TMR wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Why are all these people by the roadside not at work? Is unemployment that bad in the UK?

Possibly because, like me, they have used some annual leave to watch it. Was that really so difficult to work out?

And by your comment you are really enjoying yourself.... :roll:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    I never realised so many people were on the dole in the South East.
    Ah, beaten to it! :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pottssteve

They are not on the dole, they are all on annual leave, apparently...(see above)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    While there's nothing to talk about:

Ned Boulting ‏@nedboulting 15m
    Brailsford tells l'Equipe that his next objective is to with the Tour with a French rider.

Br8D2cWCEAETeP9.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2014
    ^^^ Sky are said be trying to sign Warren Barguil
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Their in Essex now so presumably they are either London cabbies who work nights, 'geezers' who do a but of wheeling and dealing rather than a 9 to 5 job or footballers and their wives.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Their in Essex now so presumably they are either London cabbies who work nights, 'geezers' who do a but of wheeling and dealing rather than a 9 to 5 job or footballers and their wives.
    It's wall-to-wall reality TV stars these days.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    pottssteve wrote:

They are not on the dole, they are all on annual leave, apparently...(see above)

It's brilliant to see many people supporting the event, being positive. Watch them go by for half an hour then crack on.
  • Pross
    Well there goes my theory that the crowds would be smaller today. Maybe they're are just waiting for the roads to re-open to get to the tanning salon.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Just got back from 1 week of Roskilde Festival with heavy drinking, fantastic weather and Rolling Stones. I've got next no idea what has happened so far in the race, though I did see a few highlights of Nibali's win yesterday. Was absolutely overwhelmed by the scenery and massive crowds! Well done!

Any particular video or news I should catch up on?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    pottssteve wrote:

OK here's some things to spy...

1. Frenchie with his 'Contador is the Greatest' banner
    2. A Ford Cortina
    3. A woman wearing white stilettos, extra points if they're white patent stilettos
    4. A white wine spritzer
    5. Haimar Zubeldia
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    The first 4 are easy enough, but that 5th is surely impossible.
  • Pross
    ThomThom wrote:
    Just got back from 1 week of Roskilde Festival with heavy drinking, fantastic weather and Rolling Stones. I've got next no idea what has happened so far in the race, though I did see a few highlights of Nibali's win yesterday. Was absolutely overwhelmed by the scenery and massive crowds! Well done!

Cav crashed in the sprint on stage 1, dislocated his shoulder and is out. Yesterday smashed the race to pieces but no high profile casualties. Crowds have been ridiculously massive. Bak was on the front of the bunch for part of Stage 1 and there was no reaction from ThomThom.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It's wall-to-wall reality TV stars these days.

May be they've taken a day off from honest toil because they enjoy the cycling. So judgemental...
  • RideOnTime
    pottssteve wrote:

2. A Ford Cortina
    3. A woman wearing white stilettos, extra points if they're white patent stilettos
    4. A white wine spritzer
    5. Haimar Zubeldia

Why have we gone back to 1982. :shock:
  • above_the_cows
    RideOnTime wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

2. A Ford Cortina
    4. A white wine spritzer
    5. Haimar Zubeldia

Why have we gone back to 1982. :shock:

Because there's lots of unemployment apparently.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    6. Rather stout Katusha rider hanging round the back of peloton. I used to think it was Paolini all the time, but apparently they take shifts. And they all look a bit stout. Maybe it's the kit.
  • RideOnTime
    Macaloon wrote:
    The (full fat, malodorous) Cheese:
    o-BORIS-GOLLUM-570.jpg?1

He is very pasty he needs to get some sunshine...
  • above_the_cows
    6. Rather stout Katusha rider hanging round the back of peloton. I used to think it was Paolini all the time, but apparently they take shifts. And they all look a bit stout. Maybe it's the kit.

I always thought it was always Paolini too. Lately it's been J-Rod, although he is less stout looking than most.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:

Watch them going up Holme Moss yesterday if you can. It really was like watching them wind their way up an Alpine pass.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Cav crashed in the sprint on stage 1, dislocated his shoulder and is out. Yesterday smashed the race to pieces but no high profile casualties. Crowds have been ridiculously massive. Bak was on the front of the bunch for part of Stage 1 and there was no reaction from ThomThom.

Cheers for that.

Bak is already in beast mode today again in front I see.
  • pottssteve
    Pross wrote:

Peta and Cav have a place in Essex - he could be one of the people out watching on "annual leave" :D
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    pottssteve wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Why are all these people by the roadside not at work? Is unemployment that bad in the UK?

Possibly because, like me, they have used some annual leave to watch it. Was that really so difficult to work out?

I was until I read your stupid post. Shove your :roll: up your arse.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Just got back from the start of todays stage (extended lunch hour).... Was nice to see plenty of people out and about, biggest disappointment was that ITV4's coverage went to adverts immediately after the start and panned back after the riders had passed all the best sights in the city centre!!!!

Lovely weather out though, has to be between greipel and kittel today.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Cheers for that.

Bak is already in beast mode today again in front I see.

He's my sneaky outside tip viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12974594&start=20#p18943583
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Wow What a shot that was.
  • pottssteve
    TMR wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

I was until I read your stupid post. Shove your :roll: up your ars*.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy to see so many people out supporting what was, until relatively recently, an extremely niche sport in the UK.
    I'm not sure why my post upset you so much - it was intended as a humorous comment on the state of the economy in the south when compared with the historically more deprived north. I do hope you have not been personally affected by the current financial situation and no offence was meant.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    TMR wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Or they don't work 9-5.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • pottssteve
    edited July 2014
    They're doing poetry now, so here's one of mine. It's a gritty comment on the role of PEDs in poetry:

I wandered lonely as a cloud

I wandered lonely as a cloud
    That floats on high o'er vales and hills
    When all at once I had a thought
    I wondered, “What was in those pills?”

...Beside the lake, beneath the trees
    Were Byron, Shelly, fl!cking peas,
    And though they were creative men,
    Talked nonsense in the opium den...

...Said Wordsworth, "Let's stroll by the lake,
    And share a little hashish cake".
    These flowers make me really mellow,
    Because, methinks, they are so yellow"...

Said De Quincy, "I'm an opium eater,
    And I'm so very pleased to meet ya,
    A lump of this will cure your ills,
    And take your mind off daffodils..."

De Quincy, Wordsworth, one and all,
    They did it all, they had a ball,
    And 'cos they were a sensitive mob,
    They never had a proper job.

So shed a teardrop, if you must,
    For those whom we have just discussed,
    But don't forget, drugs caused their ills,
    That, and golden daffodils...