Tour 2014 Team Presentation

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d020hcWA_Wg

That's all I'm saying. It's a great song. And they know how to play a big crowd. And my friend Dan knows them, so they can't be all bad
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I like Coldplay. Sorry, but there you go. Someone has to stand up against this muso omerta.
    Permanent ban.
    Oh, music lessons from the Dutch. Radar Love, No Limits, Hocus Pocus and a few Tiesto tracks - that's a legacy.
    Surely when dissing Dutch music you've got to lead with the Hermes House Band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTbu9OUddE4
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Coldplay v Dutch musical legacy?

Two bald men arguing over a comb.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Wish I'd watched it on ITV4 as the ES coverage was truly appalling.

I'm sure ITV4 will have its issues but I really cannot do 3 weeks of that Greg Lemond shite.

Peter Sagan's hair is ridiculous.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Oy, the Netherlands came second in Eurovision. Ah yes I see your point.

If we're discussing the Dutch musical legacy we need to talk about André Hazes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I was actually at the presentation last night. (I got a last minute free ticket!)

The atmosphere inside and outside was fantastic. We stayed outside as long as possible. There were huge crowds watching the teams riding through the city from the University to the Arena.

We arrived just as the proper presentations started and just got the show, no breaks, no cuts to Greg Lemond or anything like that.

I thought the two presenters did pretty well. I did enjoy Tony Martin just having no idea what to say and I thought Peter Sagan was suitably bonkers (The hair! Tha hair!). I did worry for Jill at that point, but I think he kept his hands firmly on the handle bars.

Biggest cheer of the night I think was for Cav, though Team Sky as a whole got a huge cheer and Froome did pretty well too. Simon Yates got quite a reception too. (Wiggo got a bit of a cheer too when he was mentioned)

There were some shouts from the back as well for Millar when Garmin Sharp appeared but I doubt that will have been heard on TV.

So I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed all the little "Welcome to Yorkshire" vignettes.

I suspect that the TV experience was completely different.

We ducked out when the music started and managed to add Chris Froome to my ever increasing Stalker list.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710

We ought to be discussing Mart Smeets and Avondetappe.
    Back for it's annual 3 weeks from Saturday! :)
    ( and it's usually about as exciting as Dutch music.....)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    alanp23 wrote:
    We ducked out when the music started and managed to add Chris Froome to my ever increasing Stalker list.

Did you get a flash of his stem?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Sorry to bring this back on topic but I am just watching this as it's being played a day late on Eurosport in Asia.

It's the best comedy show I have seen for a long time. I never knew bikes were made of carbon fibre and were tested in wind tunnels

Bienvenue a Yorkshire indeed!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    alanp23 wrote:
    I was actually at the presentation last night. (I got a last minute free ticket!)

The atmosphere inside and outside was fantastic. We stayed outside as long as possible. There were huge crowds watching the teams riding through the city from the University to the Arena.

We arrived just as the proper presentations started and just got the show, no breaks, no cuts to Greg Lemond or anything like that.

I thought the two presenters did pretty well. I did enjoy Tony Martin just having no idea what to say and I thought Peter Sagan was suitably bonkers (The hair! Tha hair!). I did worry for Jill at that point, but I think he kept his hands firmly on the handle bars.

Biggest cheer of the night I think was for Cav, though Team Sky as a whole got a huge cheer and Froome did pretty well too. Simon Yates got quite a reception too. (Wiggo got a bit of a cheer too when he was mentioned)

There were some shouts from the back as well for Millar when Garmin Sharp appeared but I doubt that will have been heard on TV.

So I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed all the little "Welcome to Yorkshire" vignettes.

I think the TV showed a different event, as the one on TV had just slightly less atmosphere than the Conservatives Annual Conference. They'd brought in an audience of seals to do the clapping as it proved too difficult to find enough people to fill the seats who could find the will to applaud anything whilst dropping in and out of sleep.

Do you like Coldplay?
  • Macaloon
    Mother Yates Tweets:

Susan Yates ‏@SusanYates1
    @EurosportUKTV @carltonkirby - thanks for taking an advert while @ORICA_GreenEDGE was on tv ...... Missed simon #nothappymum
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Andy Schleck gets dropped on the ramp to the stage
    :D:D:D:D
  • pottssteve
    It's just finished, thank the Lord. The team presentation bit was just like all the other multinational ones I've seen - slightly embarrassed riders struggling to communicate due to a combination of language problems and poor interpersonal skills when faced with banal and asinine questions that do not involve gear ratios or VO2Max data. Lots of waving.

Sebastien Piquet did a pretty good job but who in their right mind gets a Scotswoman to present teams filled with funny foreign names? Jill Douglas had a shocker. Thank heavens most of the music acts were edited out so I was spared Kimberley Walsh and Embrace, whoever they are. And WTF were those roller skaters doing on? They looked like a bag of Thorntons mis-shapes on wheels.

Sorry to say that Greg LeMond was better on a bike than behind a mic. He and the multi-lingual fella he was on with kept talking over each other, except when LeMond was trying to brooch the thorny subject of Wiggins while talking to Froome. Jeez, I'm over 6000 miles away and I could still feel the embarrassment.

The whole thing came across like something put together by a bunch of sixth formers at very short notice for about 50 quid. It showed Yorkshire up as parochial and naive, especially the intercut, "Beinvenooo a Yoorksheere" segments.

On the positive side the audience did seem to be enjoying themselves - a lot of the crowd seemed to be MAMILs who looked genuinely excited to be in the same building as Marcel Kittel, Tony Martin et al, and they appeared to know who they were. However, as a build up to the race itself it was sh!t.

Does anyone know how to spell execrable?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Sounds like I did well to miss the live broadcast. I was planning to watch but then I had to rescue a cat from a tree (or was it rescue blackbirds from a cat) and then had to cook dinner. I did record it and I thought I'd watch it this morning whilst I top and tail about 500 gooseberries before setting off for Yorkshire but I'll find something else to watch whilst I perform the most boring grow-your-own task imaginable
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    mfin wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:

I think the TV showed a different event, as the one on TV had just slightly less atmosphere than the Conservatives Annual Conference. They'd brought in an audience of seals to do the clapping as it proved too difficult to find enough people to fill the seats who could find the will to applaud anything whilst dropping in and out of sleep.

Do you like Coldplay?

Maybe... They might just scrape into my top 46 bands of all time.... :wink:
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • above_the_cows

We ought to be discussing Mart Smeets and Avondetappe.
    Back for it's annual 3 weeks from Saturday! :)
    ( and it's usually about as exciting as Dutch music.....)

Avondetappe, the only sporting show where the presenters sit around with massive glasses of wine. Love it. That is something the Netherlands does well entertainment wise, after sports discussion shows. The football one currently has a little long haired Dachshund just hanging around the studio, we only watch it to play spot the dog. But Avondetappe is deadly because you just have to join in with the wine coiffing at home. I better make sure I do the PTP scores beforehand.
  • above_the_cows
    pottssteve wrote:
    It's just finished, thank the Lord. The team presentation bit was just like all the other multinational ones I've seen - slightly embarrassed riders struggling to communicate due to a combination of language problems and poor interpersonal skills when faced with banal and asinine questions that do not involve gear ratios or VO2Max data. Lots of waving.

I think many of the riders did a better job of talking to the camera and 'performing' with charisma than the presenters for whom at least in Jill Douglas' case it is their job to be at ease in front of the camera.
    pottssteve wrote:
    Sorry to say that Greg LeMond was better on a bike than behind a mic. He and the multi-lingual fella he was on with kept talking over each other, except when LeMond was trying to brooch the thorny subject of Wiggins while talking to Froome. Jeez, I'm over 6000 miles away and I could still feel the embarrassment.

Everyone he had to interview had to carry themselves along, Cav was excellent, charming, easy going, even Sagan did well to carry himself through his interview with Lemond with his limited English and came across as infinitely more competent. And his interview of Froome was toe-curlingly awful, ending it by saying "you're a tall guy" as Froome walked off.
  • pottssteve
    Hi Cows,

My missus is in Amsterdam this weekend doing the galleries - how's the weather?
    Have to agree that while some of the riders struggled they presented themselves better than Douglas.

I used to watch the Dutch post race shows, despite only speaking a dozen words of Dutch I was always disappointed that they didn't drink more. A lot of the wine seemed to go untouched which was odd as the Dutch people I knew all drink gallons of the stuff.

LeMond should stick to fishing.....
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I was there last night and it was a great show. I stepped out to stretch my legs when the musical acts were on (I'm a cycling fan not much of a music fan) so they didn't bother me much.

I think Embrace were there to basically play the crowd out as lots of people were leaving when they started and the presenters made it pretty clear that it was all over and done with before they'd played a note. The streets outside were full by the time I got through the doors.

The crowd was clearly a mix of cycling types there for the riders and families just wanting to go and see a big event in their local area. I paid £45 + booking fee (the lowest price) and feel I probably got as much out of it as I might have got out of a Premiership football game or a high profile comedian's gig for the same price. All round I was very happy with the night and it was good to be part of something so big that's happening in the county I was born in and live in.

There seems to be quite a difference between the TV experience and seeing it live - looks like the coverage was pretty badly received by most people on here, but also there are some professionally cyncial types here who seem to want to say it was rubbish regardless of what I saw/experienced...
  • above_the_cows
    pottssteve wrote:
    My missus is in Amsterdam this weekend doing the galleries - how's the weather?

Right now it's glorious sunshine and a blamy 27 degrees, although their are storms forecast for later and rain all day tomorrow. :(
  • pottssteve
    Nice - it's a ridiculous 35 here and due to stay that way for several days! I'll just have to stay in with the aircon on, FdF on the tv and a fridge full of beers!

Tot ziens!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I paid £45 + booking fee (the lowest price)

Another way that ASO have found to make money out of the gullible.

They probably will start charging for the Liege Presentations next.

Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I don't think it makes me gullible to have paid to see an event that I really enjoyed. Should I not have gone so I looked more "wise"? And missed something I thought was really good?
  • pottssteve
    Weren't people charged to stand on Box Hill last year?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    deejay wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Why shouldn't they monetise it? It's a business for goodness sake.
  • TMR wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Why shouldn't they monetise it? It's a business for goodness sake.

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that applies to France as a Nation, not to the ASO per se.
  • Macaloon
    TMR wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that applies to France as a Nation, not to the ASO per se.

So up themselves. Nothing wrong with the original: 'Liberté, l'arrôds, MaisonFraser'.
  • Alan A wrote:
    BTW Wharfdale looks awesome, however is there a field in Yorkshire that isn't a car park this weekend?

I don't think so. Some of them are even "official" Tour carparks as well. Does that mean they can charge a tenner rather than a fiver?
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I was there last night and it was a great show. I stepped out to stretch my legs when the musical acts were on (I'm a cycling fan not much of a music fan) so they didn't bother me much.

I think Embrace were there to basically play the crowd out as lots of people were leaving when they started and the presenters made it pretty clear that it was all over and done with before they'd played a note. The streets outside were full by the time I got through the doors.

The crowd was clearly a mix of cycling types there for the riders and families just wanting to go and see a big event in their local area. I paid £45 + booking fee (the lowest price) and feel I probably got as much out of it as I might have got out of a Premiership football game or a high profile comedian's gig for the same price. All round I was very happy with the night and it was good to be part of something so big that's happening in the county I was born in and live in.

There seems to be quite a difference between the TV experience and seeing it live - looks like the coverage was pretty badly received by most people on here, but also there are some professionally cyncial types here who seem to want to say it was rubbish regardless of what I saw/experienced...

Its a cycling forum, you bet your life there are some on here who like to bad mouth, well.......almost anything. Lets face it.

All team introductions are pretty much the same, what do people expect, riders doing stand up and multi lingual presenters performing conjuring tricks? Its in Britain, expect the British to moan about it. :evil:

All