Tour de France stage 1 Leeds-Harrogate *Spoiler*

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    r0bh wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Think I'll leave him out of my road.cc team.

I'm sure he will be devastated.

It's alright, I'm not going to tell him so close to the depart.

Interestingly I've been looking at the stage 1 odds over the past few weeks and Cav was originally the very big favourite with Kittel 2nd. Kittel is now the favourite.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Thanks. Surprised they didnt cover the downhill and uphill bit in the last km.
    The bit at about 4:05 gives a good brief shot of the 20 km of narrow roads after Buttertubs. That will be an interesting phase, with the peloton stretched out and both sprinters teams and GC favourites wanting to be at the front.
    I can see scenarios with Kittel distanced and Cav just making it
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Getting the full field through the gates out of Harewood House in one piece looks like it might be a challenge!
  • Pross wrote:
    Getting the full field through the gates out of Harewood House in one piece looks like it might be a challenge!

Luckily it's still neutralised at this point! The road down from Harewood through Weardley onto the A659 (on which the race proper starts) is just what the riders will want - narrow, twisty, potholes, stones and adverse cambers. It is the section of the course that the tarmac gangs forgot. Andy Schleck is already complaining about the danger according to my sources...

I can't see the hills being a problem for Cav, given the length of the run-in.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    No brits in the NetApp-Endura TDF team - https://twitter.com/NetAppEndura/status ... 9399112704

I don't know the squad well enough. Some people on twitter are outraged. Anyone knowledgable enough here to comment? Justified selection or has someone been slighted?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    curium wrote:
    No brits in the NetApp-Endura TDF team - https://twitter.com/NetAppEndura/status ... 9399112704

I don't know the squad well enough. Some people on twitter are outraged. Anyone knowledgable enough here to comment? Justified selection or has someone been slighted?

Local Yorkshire boy Scott Thwaite left out. And Irish Sam Bennett who's a great young talent (though a GT is probably a bit early for him)...
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    curium wrote:

It's the team one could have predicted with one exception. Bennett probably did not get a ride because he has found it hard to put consecutive days together and would probably have struggled to get beyond halfway. Word coming out of the camp a while back was that as this is a German team, German owned, German sponsored and seeking future German sponsor/s, German managed and 2 German DS that there would be at least 2 German riders on the start line. As the number of non climbers was always going to be small as the team was focused on Konig, that left few non climber spaces, two of which were ring fenced for Germans. Schillinger has been consistently outperformed by Thwaites, Schorn and even Jarc (who didn't even make the long list) over the past 18 months, so it does appear he got the Nationalistic vote and kept arguably more deserving candidates out. Wont be the last time politics enters selection decisions though. Other than that they have all earned their place.
  • Dales_man
    Dales_man Posts: 2
    That sounds like the truth, but the sponsors and those who have to pay the bills have missed a big trick. Already being posted in the press
    "It would have guaranteed the second-tier outfit a lot of pre-race publicity. Whilst browsing in a large cycling shop in the centre of Leeds this week, this writer noticed there were only two team replica shirts for sale: Team Sky's and NetApp-Endura's. The latter has just become a tough sell."
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    What happened to

The girls:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWUaAJrLtQL3NyIdGr7HI5QFgxP07rhBCROJi8bqQNOamzLTZD

still alive... :?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    TMR wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    I think it's got Kittel written all over it.

Me too. As much as I hate to admit it, it's difficult to see past Marcel.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exc ... cel-kittel
    So what does he make of the first stage to Harrogate and his chances there? Kittel, for one, tells Cyclingnews he is not convinced that it will conclude in a bunch sprint. "If the teams decide to make it really fast in the hilly middle part, then I don't know if that will happen, it'll be hard [for the pure sprinters] to be there in the final."

Should that happen, Giant's plan 'B' would then kick into action, in the shape of John Degenkolb. "That final part is made for John - if the racing has been hard before," creating, Kittel says, "the kind of terrain and situation where he is world-class, and that's also why I say he should win. "
  • Scott was confident a couple months back he would get in TDF team
  • Dales_man
    Dales_man Posts: 2
    Was he ? He was confident he stood a chance.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    philwint wrote:
    I rode all three categorised climbs today - we went from kettlewell to the bottom of the last big climb for tea with a mate :).

Did the same last weekend. On any ordinary ride Kidstones or Grinton would be the major climb, the reason you go out for the ride. But they are as nothing compared to Buttertubs, never ridden over anything quite like it, and I've crossed mountain ranges in Mallorca.
  • joelsim
    I heard yesterday that in 13 bunch finishes that both Kittel and Cav had appeared in (not including those where one of them was positioned incorrectly and finished 20th or whatever), that Cav has only won 2 of those. They didn't give Kittel's figure.
  • joelsim
    FJS wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    I think it's got Kittel written all over it.

Me too. As much as I hate to admit it, it's difficult to see past Marcel.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exc ... cel-kittel
    So what does he make of the first stage to Harrogate and his chances there? Kittel, for one, tells Cyclingnews he is not convinced that it will conclude in a bunch sprint. "If the teams decide to make it really fast in the hilly middle part, then I don't know if that will happen, it'll be hard [for the pure sprinters] to be there in the final."

Should that happen, Giant's plan 'B' would then kick into action, in the shape of John Degenkolb. "That final part is made for John - if the racing has been hard before," creating, Kittel says, "the kind of terrain and situation where he is world-class, and that's also why I say he should win. "

Interesting, with a flat few miles after the peaks. If Cannondale, Katusha, Lampre, Trek and FDJ put the speed on over the hills, then Cav and Kittel could be dropped, which would leave Degenkolb with a very small lead-out.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    curium wrote:

Comment from Sam Bennett:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/06/benne ... -a-podium/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    1855-Phillips-Yorkshire-p0030.jpg

So it's that time of year again. Much of this should be a bit more familiar to some of you.

Stage 1 runs through the Dales which are made of Carboniferous Limestone. This is a common rock all over the UK and Europe and was deposited when the UK was at the Equator (you'll remember from last year that the UK and Europe made a south to north journey from near the Antarctic Circle to it's position today)

Carboniferous deposits were laid down on and between large pre-existing land blocks and intervening troughs.The blocks are known as the Askrigg and Alston blocks.These upstanding areas and the troughs between were actively subsiding into shallow seas which were the result of a global rise in sea levels. These seas contained high levels of calcium carbonate and calcium forming fossils. There are areas of reef deposition around the blocks where the seas were temporarily shallower (ddraver says - reefs are formed in areas of shallow water, think the Bahamas or the Great Barrier Reef. Reef forming organisms, ie corals and such, can only survive in shallow, warm water where they have lots of light, oxygen, nutrients and all the other things that plants like...)

Great-Barrier-Reef-Wallpaper-.jpg

You ll remember from the Limestones in the south of france that we went through last year that limestones develop into very thick deposits very quickly, and also that rain water can easily dissolve them resulting in caves. Malham Cove and the valley below it was formed at the end of the last ice age when the ground was frozen. The frozen ground meant that meltwater from the melting ice sheet formed a large river flowing over the surface, eroding the valley that we see today. The water from this river flowed over Malham Cove to form a huge waterfall. When the climate warmed around 12,000 years ago the ground thawed and the river in the valley disappeared underground leaving the valley dry as we see it today.

6822382959_1bfabfee26_z.jpg

As you'll remember from last year, most of European Geology is dominated by the The Variscan orogeny which occurred towards the end of the Carboniferous period as the former supercontinents of Gondwanaland and Euramerica collided to form the single supercontinent of Pangea. As this began, the areas around Yorkshire were uplifted slightly resulting in erosion of rocks and the transport by rivers into the Sea in Yorkshire. When the rivers met the sea they formed deltas that became the Millstone Grits of the Yorkshire Pennines.

600px-Lena_River_Delta_-_Landsat_2000_copy.jpg

These deltas also formed the swamps in which the coal of Southern Yorkshire was deposited, which we ll cover in Stage 2...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ^ :D

OK so I'll have to go hunting for some cows now will I...

Who's doing horses? No tA Doc should be on horse duty no?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561

err... and cheese duty?
  • above_the_cows
    dish_dash wrote:

err... and cheese duty?

OK I'll do all things dairy related.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    dish_dash wrote:

err... and cheese duty?

OK I'll do all things dairy related.

Stage 1's cheese is an obvious choice, Wensleydale from the Creamery in Hawes, nobbut a stones throw from the route: "Our delicious Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese, lovingly handcrafted in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales, is creamy, crumbly and full of flavour. Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese has been awarded European Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status and is the only Wensleydale cheese to be handcrafted right here in Wensleydale. Discover more at our Wensleydale Creamery Visitor Centre." http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/
  • above_the_cows
    real-yorkshire-wensleydale-cheese-cloth-bound-truckle-5kg.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    Cow_in_Malham,_Yorkshire.jpg

A cow on the Moors, or are those the Dales...? Anyway a cow from Yorkshire.

Anyone want a recipe for Yorkshire puds?
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    ddraver wrote:
    reefs are formed in areas of shallow water, think the Bahamas or the Great Barrier Reef. Reef forming organisms, ie corals and such, can only survive in shallow, warm water where they have lots of light, oxygen, nutrients and all the other things that plants like...

Yep, UK geology rocks (thought I wld get this one in early... you must have been pretty bored during your dutch exile exploring the young sediments of the neder landen btw).

The interesting thing about coral biology is that these organisms are not plants but animals that require oxygen. Most of them live in symbiosis with algae that don't require O2. These algae, in turn, are not plants, but photosynthetic dinoflagellates often described as plant-like organisms. Just like plants they are able to fix carbon from CO2 and 'exhale' oxygen. It's their carbon, originally used for building sugar and protein molecules, that eventually puts the C into carboniferous.
  • skylla

Not sure about puds. How about some dry-cured York ham?

Any other ales than those from the Black Sheep deserve a mention?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    skylla wrote:
    Yep, UK geology rocks (thought I wld get this one in early... you must have been pretty bored during your dutch exile exploring the young sediments of the neder landen btw).

The interesting thing about coral biology is that these organisms are not plants but animals that require oxygen. Most of them live in symbiosis with algae that don't require O2. These algae, in turn, are not plants, but photosynthetic dinoflagellates often described as plant-like organisms. Just like plants they are able to fix carbon from CO2 and 'exhale' oxygen. It's their carbon, originally used for building sugar and protein molecules, that eventually puts the C into carboniferous.

And the C in CO2, to be fair to the wee buggers. Oh to have been in the room when they came up with that name. Top post. Cheers.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    skylla wrote:

Theakston is also in Masham.
  • skylla
    Macaloon wrote:
    skylla wrote:

And the C in CO2, to be fair to the wee buggers. Oh to have been in the room when they came up with that name. Top post. Cheers.

Well to be exact they take the C out of CO2 u c...
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Dont forget the great Samuel Smith Brewery in Tadcaster, not to mention the infamous Rhubarb Triangle!
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    skylla wrote:

Some good ones from Ossett Brewery, and also Leeds Brewery