SCR Surrey Hills Suffer 13th July 2014

124»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds good. I'm still happy to get the train to Dorking to do those hills. Leith Octopus anyone?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Sounds like a plan. Dorking station 10:30...then hit Leith Hill and do some of the climbs there. I can put the route to a cafe in there as well, do whatever hills we feel like at the time. Weather forecast is heavy showers so a couple of the climbs might be a bit tricky.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    A little jealous now! Still, if I am knackered after the commute I am going to ignore rule #5 and look after my health! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Go, you'll be fine. Drlodge says you need to apply rule #5 and he's got Dr in his user name so he must be right. ;-)
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Go, you'll be fine. Drlodge says you need to apply rule #5 and he's got Dr in his user name so he must be right. ;-)

I am a doctor and have written myself a sicknote. ;)

Dear BR,

Please excuse menthel from going up knee busting hills on Sunday. He coughed and wheezed his way up the mighty col du Balham Hill and nearly died so needs a rest and some cake.

Yours,

Dr menthel
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Anonymous
    wimp
  • drlodge
    Permission denied. You don't need rest and cake, you need rest or cake and cake is always preceeded by a ride.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • menthel
    :cry:
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    That's no doctor's note, I can read it.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:

You should see my handwriting- its like a spider's death throes across the page! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

You should see my handwriting- its like a spider's death throes across the page! ;)
    That I believe, do they teach you how to do it at medical school? And pharmacists spend most of their training learning how to decode it.
  • drlodge
    Hows about this for a guide http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5286129

Make our way to Tanhouse Farm shop at about halfway, do Leith Twice and most of the others hills.
    Find me on Strava
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Cant you write yourself a prescription for some crazy hallucinating drugs....or epo...whichever floats your boat?
  • menthel
    Can't prescribe for self or family- gets you struck off.

As for pharmacists, they just make it up and then write it in green pen... ;)
    RIP commute...
  • drlodge
    drlodge wrote:
    Hows about this for a guide http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5286129

Make our way to Tanhouse Farm shop at about halfway, do Leith Twice and most of the others hills.

I just reaslised that this route ending in Dorking with me having to get back to Guldford isn't doable in the time I have. Therefore I am likely to peel off at the 60 mile mark, the remainder of the route I will do on my way *to* Dorking.
    Find me on Strava
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    Did you see me or others on the Action.org.uk Surrey100?

We did Hound Hurst, Leith, Box and a couple others which weren;t too nice but doable - no idea what they were:
    I saw two other events out on the roads and obviously loads of non-event cyclists. Box Hill was packed of course. :roll:
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    CXrider wrote:

We did Hound Hurst, Leith, Box and a couple others which weren;t too nice but doable - no idea what they were:
    I saw two other events out on the roads and obviously loads of non-event cyclists. Box Hill was packed of course. :roll:

Did you see the drunk maniacs of the vintage cars rally driving in the opposite direction?
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    CXrider wrote:

Did you see the drunk maniacs of the vintage cars rally driving in the opposite direction?
  • ugo.santalucia
    CXrider wrote:

• Anonymous
    Saw one vintage car. Was quite a chilled potter around the hills, wasn't going to set the world on fire but good to get some sun and stretch the legs. Good to meet drlodge and find some new hills. Shame it was all brought to an end when drlodge gear cable snapped, so we bodged that so he had 2 gears. Then my locknut came undone on my way home so cassette seized up. Called a local bike shop (pilgrim cycles- hugely recommended). Picked me up and fixed my wheel. Thank you!!
  • drlodge
    Loads of bl**dy cyclists out yesterday, I lost count on the number. Was a good ride with coriordan, I still managed 77 miles. Must remember to change my cable inners annually - Rourke has done nearly 5,000 miles and the cable broke I think where it turns a sharp corner just out of the shifter.

For this kind of ride, think we need to be starting a little earlier too. I left Guildford at 9:30, home by 4 so a meet in Dorking would be better nearer to 9 or 9:30 latest.
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:
    - Rourke has done nearly 5,000 miles and the cable broke I think where it turns a sharp corner just out of the shifter.

That's Super Record for you... my Veloce has been on its original (cheap Transfil) cables for the past 3 years... probably 15 K ... :mrgreen:
  • drlodge
    drlodge wrote:
    - Rourke has done nearly 5,000 miles and the cable broke I think where it turns a sharp corner just out of the shifter.

That's Super Record for you... my Veloce has been on its original (cheap Transfil) cables for the past 3 years... probably 15 K ... :mrgreen:

I nearly emailed you asing about inner cables, since I recall you mentioning something ahout an alternative...Transfil. Just seen them on Wiggle, quite cheap...are they any good compared to Campagnolo ones at double the price?

I do change gears a lot, especially the rear so it will be the first to go.
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

I nearly emailed you asing about inner cables, since I recall you mentioning something ahout an alternative...Transfil. Just seen them on Wiggle, quite cheap...are they any good compared to Campagnolo ones at double the price?

Beside the blurb, they are both stainless steel cables... and most likely use the same stainless 304... they have the same diameter... chances are they are pretty much the same thing?
    I always thought the Campagnolo design makes for an almost infinite cable life... maybe the newer Ergos have lost that "magic"? I have the legendary Mach 2 9 speed Veloce, those that won the "compasso d'oro" design award
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    drlodge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Beside the blurb, they are both stainless steel cables... and most likely use the same stainless 304... they have the same diameter... chances are they are pretty much the same thing?
    I always thought the Campagnolo design makes for an almost infinite cable life... maybe the newer Ergos have lost that "magic"? I have the legendary Mach 2 9 speed Veloce, those that won the "compasso d'oro" design award

Maybe under high load etc, mind you my MTB which is coming up to 10 years old has the original gear cables, a decade of high load shifting though grot hasn't killed them so far.
  • ugo.santalucia

Maybe under high load etc, mind you my MTB which is coming up to 10 years old has the original gear cables, a decade of high load shifting though grot hasn't killed them so far.

The newer Campag shifter use the newer ultrashift cables... the outer is a bit narrower, it might be that the inner is a bit narrower too... which would go a long way to explain short life
  • drlodge
    I just read up a bit...certainly the newer ultrashift cables are a bit narrower, the shifting mechanism has a smaller diameter which induces fatigue quicker, newer cables are made differently to older cables, they are more rigid (don't stretch) but more prone to fatigue. However, Campag says to replace cables every 2 years or 12,000 miles so I would expect more from them.

I will need to look at where the cable broke to see if there is some kind of sharp edge that contributed to their demise, otherwise its simply a case of newer is not better.
    Find me on Strava
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    I went out that Just-Pedal ride this morning. Great stuff and would you believe it.. they took us up Bar Hatch Lane! :)
    Have stuck the experience up on my blog:
    http://ridetoparis.co.uk/43-master-of-the-hills
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk