SCR Surrey Hills Suffer 13th July 2014

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm also a maybe. 6th July would be perfect for me.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I would come along, but don't want to show you all up with my awesome hill climbing prowess... so I'll have to wait for a later date once you lot have got some training in ... ;)
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Slowbike wrote:
    I would come along, but don't want to show you all up with my awesome hill climbing prowess... so I'll have to wait for a later date once you lot have got some training in ... ;)

Wuss! ;)

I plan to show off my usual awesome climbing prowess that involves getting about 50m from the end, just before going round a blind corner and realising I have overcooked it, despite the fact that a little more effort would have seen me get there!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I better bring my heavy CX bike along with mudguards and rack so I don't show you all up.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    cant do July!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Put me down as a maybe, still trying to confirm work travel plans :evil:
  • menthel
    goonz wrote:
    cant do July!

I did note that but we can always put together another ride. Looks like this one will be full of maybes though and ma need rescheduling! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I think I'm around - I'll check with the diary (Mrs Fuego) later.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    menthel wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Wuss! ;)

heh ... real reason is I can't do that date ... but didn't sound as good ;)
    menthel wrote:
    I plan to show off my usual awesome climbing prowess that involves getting about 50m from the end, just before going round a blind corner and realising I have overcooked it, despite the fact that a little more effort would have seen me get there!

that would've been fun to see :)
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    I can see it now.....its going to end up like that Halford's bike advert!
  • menthel
    Any others to add to the maybe list? Should we consider another date?
    RIP commute...
  • Anonymous
    4/5 July weekend is the only one I can do at he moment. Things may change for 13th but currently due to be in Preston.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Planning on taking on Surrey this Saturday if people fancy a ride. I expect coriordan to be tugging at my tailcoat.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I might come, why not?

Not particularly keen to do the all thing, might peel off just after White Downs or Box hill... the final slog through Reigate/Sutton and back via Putney is rather uninteresting
    left the forum March 2023
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Just realised - I am taking a bunch of work people round the Surrey hills on Sun 13 in preparation for an event later in the year. Might bump into the SCR train... or get bumped into by it.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Anonymous
    If it's sunday, I'm in. Just come across a potential Coppi replacement which may see a maiden outing.
  • menthel
    I have set the final date for the 13th. I have also planned to meet at Dorking (the main one) station to cut out the slogging through the burbs. I don't mind doing it but sometimes its nice to start i the countryside! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • drlodge
    menthel wrote:
    I have set the final date for the 13th. I have also planned to meet at Dorking (the main one) station to cut out the slogging through the burbs. I don't mind doing it but sometimes its nice to start i the countryside! ;)

So Sunday 13th (what time?) Dorking Station car park...I should be in. Will be cycling in from Guildford, so no 'burbs' for me :-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    menthel wrote:

So, who is in charge and what is the map? I am referring to Asprilla ride, starting in RP, which is OK for me... now you say we should start from Dorking... that means train or car, both options quite tedious
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

So, who is in charge and what is the map? I am referring to Asprilla ride, starting in RP, which is OK for me... now you say we should start from Dorking... that means train or car, both options quite tedious

Hi Paolo- I think there are crossed wires as we now have 2 rides being discussed. I am talking about the one on the 13th and not Asprilla's one.

10.30 from Dorking on the 13th to answer drlodge's question.
    RIP commute...
  • drlodge
    and I think this route, or some variant of it... http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4998760
    Find me on Strava
  • Anonymous
    10.30 from Dorking - I'm in.
  • drlodge
    Do we want a coffe/cake stop at about the half way mark? If so I can look to see where some of the Charlotteville CC places are in this area and revise the route a bit? Might mean a deviation south of Dorking. Another option is Polesden Lacey NT which we go past at the 39 mile mark.
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    Another option is something like Tanhouse Farm shop in Newdigate (south of Dorking), but we'd need to tweak the route a bit which I'm happy to do.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Tanhouse+Farm+Shop,+Rusper+Road,+Newdigate&hl=en&ll=51.218497,-0.287018&spn=0.231813,0.521164&sll=51.169334,-0.290623&sspn=0.058015,0.130291&oq=tanhouse+farm+shop&t=m&z=11
    Find me on Strava
  • menthel
    I am going to have a good look at the route this evening and plan out stop possibles. As (I don't think!) we are going to be pushing fast and having more of a social ride I might look for a couple of different ones, although a stop at about half way and then an overpriced NT cake at the top of Box Hill is usually a half decent option.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    But do feel free to play with the route. Personally I am starting to wonder if a double climb of Leith Hill is a bit excessive with Coldharbour Lane followed by Tanhurst Lane. But then again we wouldn't be suffering I guess!
    RIP commute...
  • drlodge
    It'll be fine...Tanhurst Lane is really nice now that its been resurfaced, would be a shame to miss it. Although if we do stop at TanHouse farm, there are two other routes up Leith Hill from the A29 that are options. There are also some nice hills to the west up Farley Heath - PM me if you want any help/advice etc.
    Find me on Strava
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    coriordan wrote:
    4/5 July weekend is the only one I can do at he moment. Things may change for 13th but currently due to be in Preston.

Do your own SCR suffer round Longridge/Pendle/Trough of Bowland :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Anonymous
    13th I am now in London so it's all good. Can't do 4/5 now as it happens!
  • menthel
    I have updated the first post to reflect the time/date etc. And those that have actually committed! ;)
    RIP commute...