SCR Surrey Hills Suffer 13th July 2014

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
So, who fancies it? We hit some hills and feel some pain. I may have to walk at points.

Plan is start from Dorking (main) station at 10.30am on the 13th and then hit the knee busters. We will stop for lunch/cake/beer/to chuck our guts up through over exertion as appropriate. (I expect the last one to be me.)

Current route (subject to change): http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4998760

Attending:
menthel
drlodge
coriordan

Maybe:
Smokey Bacon
vimfuego
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm in Guildford so interested in this!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    That's the week before the Etape....i'll be tapering down that week ;-)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • menthel
    elbowloh wrote:
    That's the week before the Etape....i'll be tapering down that week ;-)

The date is a movable feast...

I will have a look at the strava link later, Asprilla, when I am not on a work steam powered horror than can't do strava because of IE8.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Doh! didnt see this before posting on the SCR thread.

Im 95% in, depending on confirmation of work travel plans.
  • drlodge
    menthel wrote:
    I will have a look at the strava link later, Asprilla, when I am not on a work steam powered horror than can't do strava because of IE8.

Its not just me that has to suffer with the devil that is IE8 at work then. :evil:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I'll be up for this. I keep meaning to pull a few longer rides rather than getting dizzy going around RP.

I would prefer early on a Saturday, but can be reasonably flexible
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • menthel
    Forgot to say, whilst it has suffer in the title, there is likely to be cake and perhaps even beer!
    RIP commute...
  • asprilla
    For those that can't see the route it starts in RP and covers 130km and 2,000m of climbing.

Fun.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • mattsaw
    menthel wrote:
    Forgot to say, whilst it has suffer in the title, there is likely to be cake and perhaps even beer!

Far more up for a social ride to be fair than hammering it up Leith Hill.
    Strava
  • mattsaw
    Asprilla wrote:
    For those that can't see the route it starts in RP and covers 130km and 2,000m of climbing.

Fun.

That's your commute right? :wink:
    Strava
  • drlodge
    Mattsaw wrote:
    menthel wrote:

I was thinking we could head over that way and do the Octopus :roll:

http://leithhilloctopus.s3-website-eu-w ... /index.htm

octomap.png
    Find me on Strava
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Mattsaw wrote:
    menthel wrote:

I intend to leave my hammer at home. Need to be as light as possible....power to weight and all that :wink:
  • asprilla
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Fun.

That's your commute right? :wink:

In winter, when I'm not extending it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Is this the same Menthel that hurt his knee climbing Combe Lane on Sunday? Are you insane?
    I still haven't recovered and I think it's a ridiculous idea. Could be up for it, unless I'm stupid enough to do the off road Brighton route with Ugo.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Asprilla wrote:

Try the Dartmoor Classic and you'll be climbing that in around 50 miles!! :evil: :shock:
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Is this the same Menthel that hurt his knee climbing Combe Lane on Sunday? Are you insane?
    I still haven't recovered and I think it's a ridiculous idea. Could be up for it, unless I'm stupid enough to do the off road Brighton route with Ugo.

Yep, and it hurts now too! It will be better by then though.

Happy to move the date to suit people. I will have a look around and put together a route and stick it up later.
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    It appears that I have knackered my hamstring after Sunday's ride, so will be off the bike for about a month waiting for it to heal up :(

Otherwise I'd have been up tor this. Better be fixed for when RideLondon comes round
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Im up for that. Could even use one of the loops of the King of the Downs sportive as a route?

Cant do July as it will be Ramadan so from August would be ideal for me...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Should be around in July. That weekend may even be free.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Am in Epsom so would probably be up for that.
    Incidentally, I tried the Octopus route (well a variant of it anyway) a few weeks back. Bloddy hard work - good fun though & made the beer taste phenomenal afterwards :-)

http://www.strava.com/activities/145326101
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • elbowloh
    goonz wrote:
    Im up for that. Could even use one of the loops of the King of the Downs sportive as a route?

Cant do July as it will be Ramadan so from August would be ideal for me...
    I can do August too, nothing in the diary except the Ride100 at the moment.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • menthel
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4998760

First draft of a route. The only bit I really don't like is the A25 stretch. Any suggestions?
    RIP commute...
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    menthel wrote:

First draft of a route. The only bit I really don't like is the A25 stretch. Any suggestions?

check out the fulontri legs of steel route. the 80kms packs in 1600m of climibing. start at box hill, down to westhumble, up ranmore, down to dorking, up leith hill, down slighlty towards Abinger Common, then its off towards Holmbury Hill, Coombe Bottom, Crocknorth and then back to box hill. No A25.

http://www.fulontri.com/sites/default/f ... %20map.pdf
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • elbowloh
    menthel wrote:

I ride that section of the A25 quite regularly, it's not too bad in my opinion.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Yeah I ride that section a bit too - not a bad stretch at all.

Failing that - it's Leith Hill as the alternative :?
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • drlodge
    That A25 stretch is fine, at least its got another hill in it to add to the list :lol:
    Find me on Strava
  • menthel
    Thanks all, will leave that stretch in as it is the easiest way to hit that hill!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Going to set the date for this one as the 13th July. We can always do another if it is sucessful. Meet at Westhumble station at 10.30am. Can you please reply in here if you are going to come and I will update the first post with names. :)
    RIP commute...
  • drlodge
    Its a may be for me - kids weekend but I can normally get out and leave the older one doing his own thing.
    Find me on Strava