Football World Cup talk

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    not a violent man, but if I was the italian, Suarez would have been eating my foot for dessert shortly afterwards
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Lets hope FIFA acts and Suarez has to pack his bags!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    At least Norman Hunter only used to bite yer legs.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Haha Suarez. He just can't help himself. Once you have tasted human flesh nothing else tastes quite the same.
  • ballysmate
    The Italians knew Suarez was dangerous in the box, but didn't appreciate just how dangerous.
  • ballysmate
    nathancom wrote:
    Haha Suarez. He just can't help himself. Once you have tasted human flesh nothing else tastes quite the same.

That's the reason they give for shooting big cats who have attacked humans. Perhaps we should have him shot.
    We could give Sturridge the contract, but he would probably miss.
  • So disappointing.... Suarez didn't bite anyone. Surely he must be hungry again by now?

Of course, I should have realised... obviously he prefers Italian food.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    @MicTonu: "To be fair to Suarez, Chiellini does sound like a plate of pasta"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Must try to get to the Chelski - Liverpool game at Stamford Bridge next season to listen to Hannibal the Cannibal getting some words of wisdom from the crowd.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    OK, so how much have Uruguay bribed the refs this World Cup?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    He is doing a great job of engineering a move to Europe from the Premier League. He will blame the press on his way out.
  • bianchimoon
    Good move, blood sports are still legal in barcelona
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Some observations on the World Cup:

1. The quality has generally been pretty good this year. The difference between the strongest and the weakest has been smaller than in the past.

2. It is no disgrace to fail to progress from the groups. I thought Italy and England both looked pretty good in short bursts. Likewise Spain when on song and Croatia for extended periods. None of those teams produced enough quality in quantity and enough goals to progress, but all had their moments.

3. The biting incident seems to have become an obsession to all and sundry. The sharp-toothed one is undoubtedly an unpleasant, uncultured weasel, but he is not a mass-murderer. There is something quite cute and artless about a grown man who snaps at other players with his jaws when he knows that the World is watching for just that. Both Suarez and Chiellini look slightly ham for their agonised rolling and grimacing after the incident. I think the incident should be forgotten.

4. The Netherlands (whom I fancied for 2010) look good again. It will be close and one has to see a side from the right of the Atlantic lifting the trophy, but the Dutch look pretty cool.
  • bianchimoon
    Debeli wrote:
    3. The biting incident seems to have become an obsession to all and sundry. The sharp-toothed one is undoubtedly an unpleasant, uncultured weasel, but he is not a mass-murderer. There is something quite cute and artless about a grown man who snaps at other players with his jaws when he knows that the World is watching for just that. Both Suarez and Chiellini look slightly ham for their agonised rolling and grimacing after the incident. I think the incident should be forgotten.

what about offsides? handballs? kicking or punching a player, all less of a crime than biting.
    Yup let's have a free for all, football with no rules, that bloke in black that runs around with a whistle does he need to be there?
  • debeli
    Debeli wrote:

what about offsides? handballs? kicking or punching a player, all less of a crime than biting.
    Yup let's have a free for all, football with no rules, that bloke in black that runs around with a whistle does he need to be there?

Well, quite!

Offside (where detected by the officials) should be penalised according to the rules. Mistakes are made.
    Handball, where detected by the officials, should be dealt with likewise. Mistakes are made.
    Kicking or punching, where detected, constitute violent conduct and are worthy of a red card where appropriate or sanctions by the governing body where not mentioned in the referee's report.

I'm not proposing a free-for-all (although I like the humour buried in your 'Mr Angry' tone), but a rational, reasonable response to the occasionally irrational and unreasonable behaviour shown by elite athletes in close and heated competition at the top of their sport.

Suarez is a silly puppy and wrists will need to be slapped, but I'm hearing calls for a two-year ban or even a life ban.
  • bianchimoon
    Debeli wrote:
    Suarez is a silly puppy and wrists will need to be slapped, but I'm hearing calls for a two-year ban or even a life ban.

definately a 2 year ban OTT, perhaps a tooth extraction for every further misdemeanor :wink:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Mr. Debeli, are you a Liverpool fan by any chance?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • debeli
    PBlakeney wrote:

No. A Londoner and a proud Gooner. I was seven when they won the double (GG as player, not manager) and despite not knowing at the time what the Double actually was, I've been loyal ever since.

Furthermore, I was distraught when the rumour mill had Suarez coming to Highbury last summer... he's just not an Arsenal player' in my eyes.

I just think the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade have got a little OTT on this latest slip of the palate.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Graham Taylor got it right this morning on BBC - said that Suarez clearly has some kind of psychological issue which needs addressing...
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    It's that narrow line between genius and mentaller.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Debeli wrote:
    I think the incident should be forgotten.

How the heck can it be forgotten? Millions of people around the world have seen a player appear to bite an opponent. What signal would it send out if they just ignored it? The fact that it's a player who has committed the same offence twice before means that they (FIFA) have to act.

I actually do not buy all this red mist nonsense regarding Suarez, I think it was a calculated decision to provoke a reaction from Chiellini in the hope of winning a penalty. That's why he tried to make it look as though he'd been elbowed. With his country desperately needing a goal to go through Suarez has shown himself to be the type of player who would do anything to make that happen, diving, getting opponents sent off, using his hands to prevent a ball going over the line, all wrong but people will cheat to gain an advantage when competing in sport, but biting opponents? The bloke needs banning for a long time as the previous 10 game bans obviously were not long enough.
  • imposter2.0
    The bloke needs banning for a long time as the previous 10 game bans obviously were not long enough.

You could ban him for 100 games and then he could come back and do exactly the same thing again. The length of the ban is irrelevant unless he has treatment for something which he obviously can't stop himself from doing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    It's violent conduct and I'd give him 3 games, maybe a bit more but no more than 6. People have done far more dangerous violent acts and not been punished in the way some are suggesting.

OK biting someone is wierd but should be banning him for so long because his chosen method of attack is wierd ? I'd rather have bite marks on my shoulder than a depressed cheekbone from an elbow or a broken leg from a studs up tackle.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cornerblock
    Imposter wrote:
    The bloke needs banning for a long time as the previous 10 game bans obviously were not long enough.

You could ban him for 100 games and then he could come back and do exactly the same thing again. The length of the ban is irrelevant unless he has treatment for something which he obviously can't stop himself from doing.

You may be right he may never change, but a season or two where he is unable to participate in the game means he'll be unable to carry out such acts on anyone else for a while. If he wishes to seek treatment for these so called demons while he's on the ban then let him do so. Why should the game worry about his rehabilitation? If he wants to taint his career by having it remembered for biting people instead of his incredible ability then that's his choice. In fact the longer the ban the more treatment he can get.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

You may be right he may never change, but a season or two where he is unable to participate in the game means he'll be unable to carry out such acts on anyone else for a while. If he wishes to seek treatment for these so called demons while he's on the ban then let him do so. Why should the game worry about his rehabilitation? If he wants to taint his career by having it remembered for biting people instead of his incredible ability then that's his choice. In fact the longer the ban the more treatment he can get.

Agreed. I wouldn't be suggesting that he should carry on playing, by the way.. ;)
  • cornerblock
    OK biting someone is wierd

Once is weird, twice is worrying, but three times? If we're using the bad tackle or broken jaw example, how would you feel about a player who had just broken a opponents jaw for the third time with yet another blatantly violent elbow, just another 3 game ban?
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    Suarez is a cross between a monkey and a beaver. With those teeth he should be chopping down trees. I think a gum shield boxing style is the right approach and then failing that a muzzle. He could get them customised and start a new craze amongst the football influenced generation.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Debeli wrote:

Furthermore, I was distraught when the rumour mill had Suarez coming to Highbury last summer... he's just not an Arsenal player' in my eyes.

Of course you were..
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Debeli wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

No. A Londoner and a proud Gooner.
    Fair enough.
    I was trying to ascertain a reason for anyone to have a lenient attitude.
    I find his repeated actions to be deplorable and much worse than a bad tackle.
    A right hook would be more understandable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Yeah because Roy Keane's deliberate attempt to destroy people's knees wasn't as bad as a little nibble on someone's shoulder.

It is weird how he keeps going for people's shoulder's though. Is that bit particularly tasty?