Football World Cup talk

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ThomThom wrote:
    That's the most mediocre England team I've ever seen.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    That's the most mediocre England team I've ever seen.

Euro qualifiers 1994 and 2008? They were pretty crap under Eriksson and Capello as well. How long have you been watching England?
  • finchy
    F**king b@stard crossbar.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    edited June 2014
    Very very poor indeed,we simply do not have a world class team.

Dull as dish water,thank The Lord we didn't have to face Germany or Holland,we would have been thrashed to within an inch of our lives.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    oh dear...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • After that dismal display, I believe this is the appropriate British Airways plane to be utilised for their return home next week.

6832531139_237d2e027e_z.jpg
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    That was every bit as poor as the first game was as encouraging, if it hadn't had the national interest element I would have stopped watching after 25mins. Both sides couldn't pass accurately with any consistency and there was little flair on display.

Had to try and explain to a six-fingered yokel in the pub that the second Uruguayan goal wasn't offside because it was an English player that headed it through, I had to give up as he wasn't getting it. Reminded me why I stopped watching games in such places :roll: Back to the cricket tomorrow anyhow.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    After that dismal display, I believe this is the appropriate British Airways plane to be utilised for their return home next week.

Very generous, I'd just dump them in some Brazilian shanty town and be done with it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    After that dismal display, I believe this is the appropriate British Airways plane to be utilised for their return home next week.

You're too kind, I'm thinking.

plane_malaysia-467547.jpg
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Angleterre nil point... Eurovision all over again innit
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mamba80 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I would argue that he has had an average season playing with an average team, has an average goal scoring record, a poor one in tournament finals, and is an average player.
    Early hype ignored, he is nothing more of a player than anyone else in the squad.
    Potential is nothing if not realised.

I would be surprised if he played the full 3 first games.

I would be surprised if England played more than 4 games

My optimism was missed placed :lol:
  • finchy
    So which players do you all feel are part of the future England team and where do they need to strengthen?

I reckon a complete new defence is needed, possibly just Cahill staying in there, a new defensive midfielder and one more centre forward to provide a plan B.

Hart's good enough, the young attacking midfielders just need a bit more time, Sturridge is an automatic pick and Rooney looked fitter, sharper and more motivated last night than he has for... ever.
  • RideOnTime
    johnfinch wrote:
    So which players do you all feel are part of the future England team and where do they need to strengthen?

I reckon a complete new defence is needed, possibly just Cahill staying in there, a new defensive midfielder and one more centre forward to provide a plan B.

Hart's good enough, the young attacking midfielders just need a bit more time, Sturridge is an automatic pick and Rooney looked fitter, sharper and more motivated last night than he has for... ever.

Plan B might be better on his own.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Very generous, I'd just dump them in some Brazilian shanty town and be done with it :wink:"

Be fair, the Brazilians may like all of us have their faults, but I don't think they deserve this.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    I watched the good wife.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    johnfinch wrote:

We just need to find defenders who can mark someone. It was remarkable that after every pre-match interview with players or pundit led discussion involved the mention of Suarez and his abilities the English gameplan was nothing more that just let him have some space. It's not like he had to produce anything extraordinary for his goals. It was exactly the same 4 yrs ago against the Germans when they scored with a punt down the middle straight from the keeper, Terry and Upson were nowhere. Ridiculous we haven't moved on from such basic errors.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I have just listened to a discussion on 5 live about England's defeat against Uruguay. ..

What is it about football supporters that they manage to combine perfect tactical awareness (after the event obviously! ) with a powerful sense of self righteous indignation when England don't perform as required or play against a team who were just better than them on the night?
  • RideOnTime
    Uruguay has 3 U's and only 3 million people.
    That's 1U per million people.
    :shock:
    This is where we go wrong.
  • So disappointing.... Suarez didn't bite anyone. Surely he must be hungry again by now?
  • Have changed my mind about the England teams' return home transport. As a couple of you have stated a plane journey is perhaps too generous. So this should do the trick.

Image25.jpg

And should the over paid fools miraculously qualify for Russia in 4 years time I suggest that the below is the order of the day for their hotel accomodation.

excurs30.jpg
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Absolutely brilliant... Costa rica go through, england go out, italy and uraguay playing for the final place.... You couldnt have written the script!!!
  • Costa Rica were fantastic in the first half. On that performance they will thrash England. England always stifle gifted ball players. Its always Steve G type players that flourish, work hard run around a bit look like you are doing something but in fact win nothing and can never deliver. Costa Rica made Italy look like a bunch of old men. Italy made England look like a bunch of old men. A major rethink needs to happen in the FA. Dyke said the manager is Staying.... F%%king He%%. He should go back to telly.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Absolutely brilliant... Costa rica go through, england go out, italy and uraguay playing for the final place.... You couldnt have written the script!!!

To be fair I think most of us could have written the England going out scene! As for Costa Rica, another great performance from a group of players who know the true meaning of the word 'team'.
  • Best quote so far. From Chris Waddle.

"England have spent four years trying to play like Spain... And last night they did"

Priceless.
  • Best quote so far. From Chris Waddle.

"England have spent four years trying to play like Spain... And last night they did"

Priceless.

Excellent. And how about "not for the first time, there's a mountain between France and Switzerland", from tonight's game?
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    That Germany-Ghana game is probably one of the best draws I've ever seen!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • RideOnTime
    Best quote so far. From Chris Waddle.

Priceless.

Excellent. And how about "not for the first time, there's a mountain between France and Switzerland", from tonight's game?
    :D:D
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    LOL
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Suarez bites again!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.