2014 Giro-Stage 20:Monte Zoncolan *Spoilers*

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    It's certainly not a new thing. There seem to be very few proprosals of ways to deal with it. Basically expensive barriers or nothing. I'd like the motorbikes to be able to lower stabliser like things to make them a bit wider - that would clear a larger path, although no doubt some innocent people would probably get whacked with it.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Have the barriers, but tie any spectator who looks like a tosser to the barrier with a UCI approved predefined length of rope. Sorted.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Two words: Cattle Prods
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    mfin wrote:
    What's his username?
    He's either Stoneface90 or Prettyinpink
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    I think this is a good representation of the kind of people who want to take the fun and crazy fans out of cycling .
    THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE BECOME :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1rYlCpOnM
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Pross wrote:
    The finish line was slightly more subtle in those days! It always surprises me how heavy Merckx looks for someone who climbed so well. Not quite Indurain stature but he still looks a 'normal' size for a cyclist who can get up mountains quickly.

I like the way they all bob their heads at a minimum and most of them are all over the bike, much like a certain long tongued french rider who is always panned for his appalling insult to cycling style...

(plus it makes me feel better for doing it myself...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    To be fair they had no choice other than mashing big gears and that sort of body movement goes with the territory then.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Shh!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    What's his username?
    :shock: Quintana was born in the 90s!?

God, I'm old.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The best one is the guy dressed in a biscuit-coloured suit at 7.00 mins. No mankini or tutu for that dude.

Isn't that Gianni Savio?
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Boring racing? Not for fans who were there - I was at 600m to go and the largest group was a bunch of 7. Nice quiet spot between the 2 final tunnels and we could cheer all the riders on. They all seemed to appreciate it, apart from Bernie (who presumably thought I was about to push him. I wasn't)
    There was a kid there who was running alongside filming riders, asking them Qs -none were upset by this because he was checking where he was running and being respectful.

Sounds like there were some idiots further down. There are idiots in all aspects of life (we've even got a Gallic one on here!!!) and you shouldn't detract from most to regulate the few.

Someone earlier said spectators should just spectate. I totally disagree. Cycling would lose so much if that happened. People up mountains are fans more than spectators and losing the colour and passion would lessen the sport's appeal. If fans are to just spectate, then I can't paint the road any more?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Boring racing? Not for fans who were there - I was at 600m to go and the largest group was a bunch of 7. Nice quiet spot between the 2 final tunnels and we could cheer all the riders on. They all seemed to appreciate it, apart from Bernie (who presumably thought I was about to push him. I wasn't)
    There was a kid there who was running alongside filming riders, asking them Qs -none were upset by this because he was checking where he was running and being respectful.

Sounds like there were some idiots further down. There are idiots in all aspects of life (we've even got a Gallic one on here!!!) and you shouldn't detract from most to regulate the few.

Someone earlier said spectators should just spectate. I totally disagree. Cycling would lose so much if that happened. People up mountains are fans more than spectators and losing the colour and passion would lessen the sport's appeal. If fans are to just spectate, then I can't paint the road any more?

RoadPainter's artistry must be allowed to continue! Saw the union jack you painted for Swifty - super job :)

I agree with you re fans on the mountainside. The vast majority are respectful but totally add to the whole thing. Just got to minimise the real numpties as much as possible.

Respect for getting up the mountain. Some of my group rode up till they got turned back at the 200m to go mark. Those of us on foot only made it as far as 2km up!

Great atmosphere everywhere though.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    RichN95 wrote:
    Two words: Cattle Prods

Boudicca was on the right track
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    mfin wrote:
    Cant you guys find something else to talk about. Maybe congratulating Quintana? There doesnt seem to be much congratulating on this forum.

I didn't realise Nairo was on the forum, otherwise that would be like writing someone a birthday card who is not going to read it cos you're not going to send it to them, all a bit weird really.

What's his username?

NairoQuintana
  • RichN95.
    thegibdog wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    What's his username?
    :shock: Quintana was born in the 90s!?

God, I'm old.
    4 February 1990. He's younger than the Stone Roses' s debut album.

(I should point out I was not born in 1995. I would be RichN72, but I don't want people to think I'm related to Iainf72)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Spare a thought for Sir Bruce Forsyth; apparently, he's 4 weeks older than sliced bread.
  • RideOnTime
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Spare a thought for Sir Bruce Forsyth; apparently, he's 4 weeks older than sliced bread.

:lol: ROLF

whoops :D

ROFL that's better.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RideOnTime wrote:

:lol: ROLF

Yes, we best leave him out of this.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RideOnTime
    Indeed. The only contribution he would make would probably be to tell Nairo he looked nice in his underpants... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Must watch video of fans on the Zoncolan. Watch it all.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I said something along those lines, what I meant was spectators shouldn't interfere with riders (push them, get in their way etc) as at that point they are no longer spectating but are participating. I don't have any issue with things like painting the road or running alongside the riders as long as they're given room to race.
  • RoadPainter

RoadPainter's artistry must be allowed to continue! Saw the union jack you painted for Swifty - super job :)

I agree with you re fans on the mountainside. The vast majority are respectful but totally add to the whole thing. Just got to minimise the real numpties as much as possible.

Respect for getting up the mountain. Some of my group rode up till they got turned back at the 200m to go mark. Those of us on foot only made it as far as 2km up!

Great atmosphere everywhere though.

I was very late setting off after quiet night post TT was ambushed by some nutty Belgians. Couldn't get to Ovaro due to roads shut all over the place for twisty approach route. Massively fluked it by finding cable car in Ravascletto that took us to just past the finish. 8EUR return, if I see any accommodation available there next time, I'll be all over it. Good views of ski areas below cable car and behind finish.

Good trip?
  • RoadPainter
    Macaloon wrote:
    Great vid
  • greasedscotsman
    Macaloon wrote:

OK, so 6 riders seemed quite happy for him to run alongside (and give them a push), but what of all the others who told him to feck off?
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Macaloon wrote:

Legend...ary!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ah! So that was the tw@t on day release with the GoPro on a stick that was getting in the way of the riders.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    :roll:

"Where's your woggle gone, where's your woggle gone?"
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:

OK, so 6 riders seemed quite happy for him to run alongside (and give them a push), but what of all the others who told him to feck off?

I'm not sure Johnny was that happy, he seemed to be giving the guy a wide birth and doesn't look at him once.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • greasedscotsman
    I'm not sure Johnny was that happy, he seemed to be giving the guy a wide birth and doesn't look at him once.

Good point, five then.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Macaloon wrote:

Adam Hansen is the absolute bollocks 8)
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.