2014 Giro-Stage 20:Monte Zoncolan *Spoilers*

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    That incident…

https://t.co/OwknUmAdRN

I was thinking that a side swipe from one of the team guys carrying bikes & riding pillion might be in order. Wouldn't want to risk damaging a rear wheel though I guess.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Maybe WC jersey plonker was the same guy who sat on my wheel/half wheeled me for 40k today while wearing full WC kit.
    Half wheelers can easily be dealt with.
    Just do some unusual lurches to whichever side they're leaning on, especially if they're between you and the curb ;).
    and for mr sat-on-your-wheel, suddenly rise off the saddle while pulling on the bars slightly. :evil:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Milton50 wrote:
    The Zoncolan is an epic setting but it's really not conducive to exciting racing. And the spectators were bell ends today.
    The Zoncolan shouldn’t be the next-to-last stage … wrong terrain for anything decisive to be tried … and moreso with 3-week-long tired legs … disappointing

… except for Aru, ‘cos his mamma met him at the top, and then he was a guest on Alessandra’s apres-cy show (as were Cataldo and Uran)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Maybe WC jersey plonker was the same guy who sat on my wheel/half wheeled me for 40k today while wearing full WC kit.

Half wheelers can easily be dealt with.

Just do some unusual lurches to whichever side they're leaning on, especially if they're between you and the curb ;).

I tried that but he kept coming back, perhaps he liked the mild sense of peril or something, perhaps I didn't do it forcefully or erratically enough. I gave up trying to get rid of him in the end as it became quite an amusing little game for me.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited May 2014
    I love this sport and think we are very lucky to be avid fans of it.

Congratulations to Rogers - showed himself again to be a superb cyclist...I would never thought a guy as big as him could do so well on the Zoncolan. Two superb wins this Giro...very happy for him after he was doubted, like other riders, that suffer from the curse of the nonsensical clen-ban.

Contador was watching the stage and was quick to show his praise:
    @albertocontador · 1h
    "@tinkoff_saxo: @mickrogers wins on Zoncolan #Giro - here's the winning moment. pic.twitter.com/2FwcqbXaCI" @nicholasroche #Rafamajka #Teamwork
    Bo-Qo1bCcAA2a7k.jpg:large
    Bo-QJQ6IMAEeiGe.jpg:large

I am pleased Quintana showed he was once again the strongest and also that Uran came in front of all the riders behind him on GC. Congratulations to both of them for their part in making this such a great Giro. A truly Colombian affair.

Andy Schleck climbed two and a half minutes faster than them today though. Really need to catch that stage.
    1. 2007: 39:03 Gilberto Simoni 15.06 km/h
    2. 2007: 39:03 Leonardo Piepoli 15.06 km/h
    3. 2007: 39:10 Andy Schleck 15.01 km/h
    4. 2007: 39:34 Danilo Di Luca 14.86 km/h
    5. 2007: 39:40 Damiano Cunego 14.82 km/h
    6. 2007: 40:22 Julio Alberto Perez Cuapio 14.57 km/h
    7. 2010: 40:42 Ivan Basso 14.45 km/h
    8. 2007: 40:43 Franco Pellizotti 14.44 km/h
    9. 2011: 40:52 Igor Anton 14.39 km/h
    10. 2007: 41:00 Marzio Bruseghin 14.34 km/h
    11. 2007: 41:05 Ivan Parra 14.31 km/h
    12. 2007: 41:11 Vincenzo Nibali 14.28 km/h
    13. 2007: 41:14 Riccardo Ricco 14.26 km/h
    14. 2011: 41:25 Alberto Contador 14.20 km/h
    15. 2007: 41:29 Eddy Mazzoleni 14.17 km/h
    16. 2014: 41:30 Rigoberto Uran 14.17 km/h
    17. 2011: 41:32 Vincenzo Nibali 14.16 km/h
    18. 2014: 41:35 Nairo Quintana 14.14 km/h
    19. 2014: 41:44 Wouter Poels 14.09 km/h
    20. 2014: 41:44 Rafal Majka 14.09 km/h
    21. 2014: 41:46 Fabio Aru 14.08 km/h
    22. 2014: 41:50 Pierre Rolland 14.06 km/h

23. 2014: 41:55 Domenico Pozzovivo 14.03 km/h
    24. 2010: 42:01 Cadel Evans 13.99 km/h
    25. 2011: 42:03 Michele Scarponi 13.98 km/h
    26. 2010: 42:12 Michele Scarponi 13.93 km/h
    27. 2011: 42:13 Denis Menchov 13.93 km/h
    28. 2007: 42:30 Evgeni Petrov 13.84 km/h
    29. 2011: 42:30 John Gadret 13.84 km/h
    30. 2007: 42:38 Stefano Garzelli 13.79 km/h
    31. 2010: 42:40 Damiano Cunego 13.78 km/h
    32. 2007: 42:44 Branislau Samoilau 13.76 km/h
    33. 2011: 42:44 Mikel Nieve 13.76 km/h
    34. 2011: 42:47 Hubert Dupont 13.74 km/h
    35. 2007: 42:53 Paolo Savoldelli 13.71 km/h
    36. 2007: 42:53 Andrey Mizourov 13.71 km/h
    37. 2011: 42:57 Kanstantsin Sivtsov 13.69 km/h
    38. 2007: 43:00 Michael Rasmussen 13.67 km/h
    39. 2011: 43:03 José Rujano 13.66 km/h
    40. 2010: 43:08 Alexandre Vinokourov 13.63 km/h
    41. 2014: 43:10 Wilco Kelderman 13.62 km/h
    42. 2011: 43:16 Joaquím Rodríguez 13.59 km/h
    43. 2014: 43:20 Robert Kiserlovski 13.57 km/h
    44. 2010: 43:26 Carlos Sastre 13.54 km/h
    45. 2007: 43:29 David Arroyo 13.52 km/h
    46. 2007: 43:31 Francisco Vila 13.51 km/h
    47. 2007: 43:31 Emanuele Sella 13.51 km/h
    48. 2011: 43:32 Steven Kruijswijk 13.51 km/h
    49. 2007: 43:37 Domenico Pozzovivo 13.48 km/h
    50. 2014: 43:37 Fabio Duarte 13.48 km/h

Edit: forgot to mention congratulations for Pellizotti for trying a lot this Giro and finishing well. Respect again to Cataldo and Deignan for strong performances in the last week. Total dickhead fans is not good to see but glad Rogers gave them something a la Contador.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Aaaah, the good old 2007... Hah, what a ridiculous year.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    A good win by Rodgers but a small question mark remains after Bongiourno was handicapped after the push and how things might have played out normally. A good ride from Roche too.

Rodgers also wins the Bernard Hinault Award for best punch delivered to a fan while Wout Poels rode out of his skin today and even managed to skilfully play "Go Fetch" with a fans sunglasses.

Uran called this stage perfectly. He said the Zoncolan wouldn't allow too much of a shake-up in the GC standings and he was right. Delighted he finished second and not third on GC and he even showed a clean pair of heels to all the other top climbers bar Quintana. One of the peloton's true hard men.

The Zoncolan is a great spectacle but is probably too extreme to actually allow any true racing to take place. It would make a brutal hill for a mountain time trial though! :twisted:

DD.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I have no problem wearing World Champs jersey, I don't believe in this "you have to earn it" nonsense. But now I wouldn't want to wear one in case someone thought I was the idiot spectator on the Zoncolon!
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    16. 2014: 41:30 Rigoberto Uran 14.17 km/h
    17. 2011: 41:32 Vincenzo Nibali 14.16 km/h
    18. 2014: 41:35 Nairo Quintana 14.14 km/h
    19. 2014: 41:44 Wouter Poels 14.09 km/h

How did Uran go faster? The climb started with Quintanas first jettison rockets dropping him in a show of over enthusiasm - he had to ride up to them - and Q beat UU at the end ?? That's not possible is it?
  • specialgueststar
    Le Zoncolan restera gravé dans ma tête et dans mes jambes.
    34x32

Geniez
  • specialgueststar
    Rolland - commitment
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Milton50 wrote:
    The Zoncolan is an epic setting but it's really not conducive to exciting racing. And the spectators were bell ends today.

Hard to disagree with this. When a climb is so steep everyone is just trying to get to the top... I suppose the excitement comes not from possible attacks but from possible blow ups.

It doesn't seem right that after all that anticipation the only change to the top ten is that Evans drops down one place.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,860
    I actually left the stage to watch George play in the Aviva premiership final and was reward with a Northampton win! :D

As for the mighty Zoncolan, after a handful of visits, I'm beginning to find it mighty tedious.
    Attacking on those gradients is about as possible of riding away from the Sky tour train, except it's all played out in slow motion.

As for growing crowds of idiots that gather on these and other slopes for their fancy dress parties, I despair.
    Surely, not a true cycling fans amongst them.

Lampre man: If at first you make a huge cock of yourself, do it again. :x
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    z85ihEI.gif
    Glorious :D
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 244
    Next trip should either be a mountain TT like the Plan de Corones or an ascent from the East which is at least enjoyable until after the resort.

I've been there for the last two ascents in 2010 and 2011 and it's a fabulous part of the world but it's really a case of survival - there isn't another climb like it in Europe.

The planned stage in 2011 with the Crostis would have been epic - the Crostis is a fabulous climb. Or ride the Zoncolan nearer to the beginning of the Giro when riders are fresh faced and full of legs.

On the other hand it's so funny to see household names suffering like we do :lol:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I will be surprised if Lampre/WC man makes it off that mountain without being lynched. Not content with wrecking a young riders chance of a win he still runs with the riders.

I was getting pretty angry at the TV after a while, this stage certainly attracted all the pr!cks today...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    These knob ends spoiled a good stage...after Alpe d huez 2 years ago I said that the barriers need to be further down the climb.....I would have got off my bike and gladly booted that guy in the baws running in front looking into his phone doing a selfie. When are they going to start arresting these baw bags before the ruin the important stages of major tours. They should start spending money on security.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    These knob ends spoiled a good stage...after Alpe d huez 2 years ago I said that the barriers need to be further down the climb.....I would have got off my bike and gladly booted that guy in the baws running in front looking into his phone doing a selfie. When are they going to start arresting these baw bags before the ruin the important stages of major tours. They should start spending money on security.
    My preferred solution:
    111129-M-0000C-003.jpg
    "Yeah, that one, the idiot in the stripes!"
  • thomthom
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

The sport has grown in the last 10 years and perhaps we've seen slight change in the behaviour patterns on the mountains from people whose agenda is more focused on being in the lens rather than on the race and the riders. While I do not approve this trend from the (0,0001% !!) of the spectators, barriers are killing the atmosphere COMPLETELY. That option is no go. It really is. The interaction from the spectators is half the sport's identity..

Also, like the subject about the increasing amount of crashes we've discussed in here; are the spectators genuinely more daft now than they used to be or do we just see, hear and talk more about now when things happen?

Thinking of how many races they are racing over the year.. is the problem really.. that big?

The tifosi have always been a bit crazy - be that in football, cycling and what have you - but isn't that just what it is?

They discussed this after today's stage over here. Rolf Sørensen and Anders Lund. While Anders Lund was quite upset about the spectator's behaviour, Rolf, who has lived half his life in Italy, was more calm about it - not that he didn't feel it was unacceptable but he just reminded the viewers that this happened years ago as well when he was on the bike and they just got on with it.

What we saw today was a guy who did what have been done thousands of times since the very beginning of cycling - A little push on the back only with good intention. That unfortunately f'ucked up today but other than that it was just some crazy (and annoying, i'll give you that) tifosi running about as we know them..

They could also just decide to cut out all these insane climbs where the cars aren't even allowed to follow the riders. The more traffic kind of creates a distance to the spectators as well.
  • hasbeen
    hasbeen Posts: 41
    ThomThom wrote:
    [are the spectators genuinely more daft now than they used to be or do we just see, hear and talk more about now when things happen?

Forgive an old gimmer his memory bank but Bugno was climbing in '91/'92 at le Tour when a spectator leaned out too far when the lead group came round a bend and caused Gianni to stall and unclip. He pushed the muppet back with his bike as retaliation.
    Then of course there's the old "objects may be closer than they appear in the viewfinder" which afflicted Guerini 15 years ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JbbDYfnPCc
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It is probably true that the tifosi have always been a little nuts but there attention has always been focused on the riders. There seems to be a new generation of "fans" appearing who go out onto the mountain and when the TV bike passes, step out onto the road and wave at the camera like an idiot, ignoring the riders behind them. One kid did this today and almost took out a Movistar rider.

Mick Rodgers swung an arm at one fan today and this was fully justified, in my opinion. Riders kill themselves in training all winter, survive 20 days of a grand tour and when a stage win opportunity arrives, a bunch of p!ssed idiots do there damnedest to knock you off your bike, so these reactions from riders are understandable. What is the race jury's assessment on these actions by riders? A arm in the chest from Rodgers is one thing but if he connected with your teeth, you'd spend the rest of the afternoon looking for the broken delph! Wasn't a rider thrown off the Tour of Belgium this week for "irregular sprinting" so where do things stand with striking a fan? It'd be a shame to see a rider being expelled from the race for something like this. Maybe Wout Poels needs to give some classes to other riders on how to get one-up on idiot fans without going all Queensbury on their asses.

DD.

P.S. I presume Poels won maximum panache points for that move today?
  • thomthom
    hasbeen wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    [are the spectators genuinely more daft now than they used to be or do we just see, hear and talk more about now when things happen?

Forgive an old gimmer his memory bank but Bugno was climbing in '91/'92 at le Tour when a spectator leaned out too far when the lead group came round a bend and caused Gianni to stall and unclip. He pushed the muppet back with his bike as retaliation.
    Then of course there's the old "objects may be closer than they appear in the viewfinder" which afflicted Guerini 15 years ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JbbDYfnPCc

Exactly.

Cheers for reminder of Guerini. That's obviously a classic
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Stacks of cycling fans are idiots, it's just yet another example of seeing a load of dickhead spectators acting like this on a big climb, nothing new, it's the norm. Better with barriers if you actually want to watch it on the TV.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Agree totally. Running alongside should be banned. It's dangerous, irresponsible and stupid.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    As for the mighty Zoncolan, after a handful of visits, I'm beginning to find it mighty tedious.
    Attacking on those gradients is about as possible of riding away from the Sky tour train, except it's all played out in slow motion.

This. It's just too steep to be of any interest apart from a novelty, and it's wearing off.
  • thomthom
    mfin wrote:
    Stacks of cycling fans are idiots, it's just yet another example of seeing a load of dickhead spectators acting like this on a big climb, nothing new, it's the norm. Better with barriers if you actually want to watch it on the TV.

Thankfully not everyone decides to see it front of the tv. Without the spectators you'd have a 3 weeks edition Tour of Turkey..

Watching the thing live is a limited enough experience as it is.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    What I find a bit weird is the fact that the guy in the wc jersey genuinely looked gutted when he realised his mistake but only 5 minutes later was at it again. I think its a matter of spectators being drunk more than anything.

IMO I think that Bongiorno wouldn't have come near to the stage win anyway, quite a big time gap in the end.
  • thomthom
    Sure that was the same guy? There were multiple people with the WC shirt on.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ThomThom wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Thankfully not everyone decides to see it front of the tv. Without the spectators you'd have a 3 weeks edition Tour of Turkey..

Watching the thing live is a limited enough experience as it is.

Yep, but a bunch of screaming berks doesn't add a thing to watching it on TV and when you do go and you are surrounded by these idiots after you've waited that long on a climb it ruins it too. Unless that is that you perceive it as passionate, I perceive it as idiotic, but I am not saying I am right.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    ThomThom wrote:
    Sure that was the same guy? There were multiple people with the WC shirt on.

Not sure but the commentators seemed to think it was him, but yeah might have been someone else.