Giro 2014 -Stage 19: Cima Grappa MTT *Spoilers*

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Can't see Uran living with Aru on the Zoncolan.
    40 seconds is no distance.

Team Colombia vs Team Italy. Could be epic.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    So Sunday's podium is looking like

Quintana
    Aru
    Uran
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    What this *should* mean for tomorrow's stage: lot's of crazy, last chance attacks on Zoncolan.

What this *will* mean for tomorrow's stage: everyone just rides behind Quintana not taking any big chances.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Arredondo took it very easy...sure he will give it everything tomorrow.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    donrhummy wrote:
    What this *should* mean for tomorrow's stage: lot's of crazy, last chance attacks on Zoncolan.

What this *will* mean for tomorrow's stage: everyone just rides behind Quintana not taking any big chances.
    Like Blazing said, if I was Aru I'd be attacking Uran for 2nd rather than settling for 3rd. He's got a big gap between himself and Rolland in 4th so he can afford to take a few chances and attack!
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Colombian domination. A brilliant ride by Quintana. Evans clawed back some time too. Rolland riding very well too. Garmin's bad luck continues.

It is battle stations tomorrow for Uran and Aru for second spot on GC. Could Quintana give his old room mate a hand on the Zoncolan?

DD.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I'm not sure you can really attack on the Zoncolan. Aru and Quintana to slowly disappear into the distance.
  • frenchfighter
    1 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 79:03:45
    2 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:03:07
    3 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:03:48
    4 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:05:26
    5 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:06:16
    6 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:06:59
    7 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:09:25
    8 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:09:29
    9 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin Sharp 0:10:11
    10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing 0:13:59

Stage
    1 Nairo Quintana 1:05:37
    2 Fabio Aru 0:00:17
    3 Rigoberto Uran 0:01:26
    4 Pierre Rolland 0:01:57
    5 Domenico Pozzovivo 0:02:24
    6 Franco Pellizzotti 0:03:22
    7 Rafal Majka 0:03:28
    8 Sebastian Henao 0:03:48
    9 Tim Wellens 0:04:00
    10 Dario Cataldo 0:04:10
    Contador is the Greatest
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    adr82 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

Like Blazing said, if I was Aru I'd be attacking Uran for 2nd rather than settling for 3rd. He's got a big gap between himself and Rolland in 4th so he can afford to take a few chances and attack!

I don't think it will take an attack. Uran will get dropped from the high pace.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Glad that flag-gate should be irrelevant for Quintana now.
    Anyone remind me if Aru/Rolland were a beneficiaries?
  • frenchfighter
    proxy.jpg?t=HBgtaHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5vdy5seS9waG90b3Mvb3JpZ2luYWwvNUsxYVQuanBnFLIMFIgHABYAEgA&s=C0qIKOk22l44HyRQbxY3GxcgZx8fsXL7c54TfQ0dU-8
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Glad that flag-gate should be irrelevant for Quintana now.
    Anyone remind me if Aru/Rolland were a beneficiaries?

Rolland and Hesjedal
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    A Saturday on the Zoncolan, it'll be carnage, but not from the riders. Unless the crowd is stopped from getting too close to the riders I don't think there will be any decisive attacks. Usually on the really steep stuff the crowd gets in the way too much and riders just thread their way through any way they can.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    RonB wrote:
    Stuffed fox in Aru's face not a patch on wild boar man in last yrs Tour :D

I can see there being a battle for the Pyrenees. Move over curly wigs and mankinis, welcome over men in pants jumping up and down trying to out taxidermy each other. The local antique shops will have a roaring trade.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    Is there not some rule about the length of overshoes in a TT? Quintana's were a ridiculous length (not to mention the colour etc).

Excellent rides from him and Aru nonetheless.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    donrhummy wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

I don't think it will take an attack. Uran will get dropped from the high pace.

Zoncolan does tend to be about riders drifting out the back, rather than charging off the front.
    So, not my favourite climb by a long chalk, but a great arena, nevertheless.
    ( Although after watching today and with the other Colombians, anything is possible.)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Bit of a shame that Zoncolan comes when many of the GC guys are on their last legs. Would be nice to see it with them all at their best.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Bit of a hoo haa on my Twitter feed... A rider from Lotto has been booted for being outside the time limit, despite breaking his chain and having to get it fixed by a fan...
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Shame. Keep Kenny in the Giro!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RonB wrote:
    Shame. Keep Kenny in the Giro!

And get the fan in a publicity car. Great story to highlight bond between riders and roadside.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Isnt it refreshing to have a GT and have people comment on the racing without the usual suspects raising doubts about performances? It can only be because Sky are not doing well. Just wait for the Tour and the nutters will be out damning riders for performances on a par with what we are witnessing here. :roll:
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    This is turning out to be a Giro of breakthroughs (some less significant than others).

Quintana
    The question after last year's TdF was: can he handle leadership duties? Well, now he's really confirming that he can take that burden. A joy to watch. A canny operator and of course supremely talented.

Aru
    Similar to Quintana in that the previous year was something of a breakthrough but this year is a real step up. Very impressive for a second year pro, lets not forget. Great pain face too. :wink:

Kelderman
    This guy really can ride GC. Definitely more suited to the climbs and TT's of France but great to see him take on the Giro with real commitment.

Arredondo
    A true battler and willing to chase the KOM prize and stage wins, which is refreshing considering he's never really going to hit the heights of a GT podium given his TT'ing ability. It would be a shame to see him settle into a middling GC rider a la Pozzovivo.

Bouhanni
    One of the less significant breakthroughs given that we know there are faster sprinters out there but nevertheless nice to see a different winner and this Giro shows he can handle the pressure of leadership.

Seb Henao
    Two top-10's now. Impressive stuff for a neo-pro.

Vuillermoz
    Looks like AG2R have got themselves a great domestique, only 25 years of age. Also hovering in 11th albeit by a massive margin to 10th.

Tim Wellens
    Another young rider going very well. He's got potential based on this showing (multiple top 10's, including today).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Young Dutch rider with potential - no waaay.

Shame Quintana isn't doing the Tour. Would have been better value than here.

He gets ill- goes on a course of antibiotics and still smashes them.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Why didn't Kenny Dehaes have a support car? What was the plan if he simply got a puncture?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Why didn't Kenny Dehaes have a support car? What was the plan if he simply got a puncture?

Neutral car.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Is there not some rule about the length of overshoes in a TT? Quintana's were a ridiculous length (not to mention the colour etc). :D:D

Excellent rides from him and Aru nonetheless.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    If Kenny Dehaes had borrowed a bike from one of the fans lining the route, would he have still been eliminated (provided he made it inside the time limit)? If he had stopped in front of me with a broken chain and no replacement bike, I'd have offered my bike and shoes too if necessary.

DD.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    No one posted a photo of Quintana yet?!

I really like this one:
    010-To300514Spo_0501_zps298f0e56.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest